Clear all

Spoiled / Rant - Too much for strings

34 Posts
24 Users
0 Likes
(@mikey)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

As I've mentioned before I've moved from NY to FL. In NY I was in quick driving distance to a Guitar Center, a Sam Ashe, and two local independant music stores. For the most part pricing was very competative.

Now in FL I'm about 45-50 miles away from the nearest GC. I thought I was the luckiest guy in the world when I got the job I wanted and it just happened to be in the same complex as a music store. Took some will power not to up and leave my desk at 9:30 on the first day. Will power lasted until about 1:30. Strolled in, looked around. One guy was following me around like I was about to shove a 150 watt Crate in my pocket and make a run for it. I guess the shirt and tie tipped him off the inherent danger I posed.

We talked a bit and I got info on local lessons. Decided to buy two sets of strings, nothing special D'Add's XL 10's (finally moving up from 9's). The guy rung me up and told me the price, 12 bucks and change.

"No, I only wanted two sets."
"Yeah, dude that is two, $5.95 each."

I was getting 3 sets for that back in NY. I understand the indy's have to charge more than the chains and I will gladly pay a bit more to keep the indy's indy. But that was 50% more. Not going to stand for that. Well, now I'll go back to buying them by the box. Only now I'll have them shipped.

I was definately spoiled living in NY. Pizza was better there too. Don't even ask about the Chinese food or bagels.

Just felt I needed to rant to you guys. I'm sure most of you are saying 'Welcome to the real world.'

Which of course brings me to my next subject. Now that I've switched to 10's I've got 8 sets of D'add 9's sitting here doing nothing. Willing to sell or swap. (probably should put something up on Swap Meet)

Mike

Playing an instrument is good for your soul

(@steve-0)
Noble Member

You think that's expensive, I'm pretty sure there are strings that are nearly 20$. Back when I had a violin teacher she used to tell me that she would have to pay around $50 (I can't remember the cost exactly) for new strings.

Steve-0

ReplyQuote
(@sin-city-sid)
Prominent Member

This will make you feel better.... Ask'em how much for a set of elixirs :lol:

ReplyQuote
(@martin-6)
Honorable Member

$6 seems pretty cheap to me. I get the crappy-brand ones off ebay and it's about the same, that's the cheapest I can find. In shops here they're like $15-20. Although I would gladly pay $3 more for a set that comes with an extra high E (I find it's the best one for garotting people).

ReplyQuote
(@aroundtheclaxon)
Estimable Member

i live in mass and i pay like 6 for ernie balls is that normal or am i paying to much? are they cheaper at gc i never bought string there just at my local store

Head Arcitech at Vandelay Instudries

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Yeah, but you can play golf in Florida in February.

Sorry, little defensive, I grew up in Florida. Now I live in the cold Northeast. We are expecting a blizzard tonight. I just can't wait to shovel all that snow tomorrow. :x

Just think of it this way. The money you saved not having to buy snow tires this year will pay the little extra for those strings.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@luvgilmour)
Estimable Member

I'd give 50 bucks for strings right now if I could be sitting on the beach next to a plam tree... I live in PA and we are getting snow at the moment (6-10 inches by morning)...

I'll only be down there (in the basement practicing) for a couple of minutes or so...
My SoundClick Page: http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=470725

ReplyQuote
(@margaret)
Noble Member

Can't remember for sure, but I think I paid about $11 or $12 for a set of Fender Super Bullets. It was a little Mom and Pop shop, and being first-time-string-changer, I didn't know that wasn't the going rate. So I did wonder when in the "new strings" thread, folks were talking about how cheap it is to change strings. :)

Wes wrote: The money you saved not having to buy snow tires this year will pay the little extra for those strings.

Not to mention the heating bills! Or do you have to run air conditioning in the winter in FLA? :P

Margaret

When my mind is free, you know a melody can move me
And when I'm feelin' blue, the guitar's comin' through to soothe me ~

ReplyQuote
(@ginger)
Reputable Member

$6 seems pretty cheap to me. I get the crappy-brand ones off ebay and it's about the same, that's the cheapest I can find. In shops here they're like $15-20. Although I would gladly pay $3 more for a set that comes with an extra high E (I find it's the best one for garotting people).

Dr. Ducks deluxe come with an extra high e string for electrics. I only pay $4.95 a set but I buy them in 4 sets.

http://www.ducksdeluxe.com

ReplyQuote
(@metaellihead)
Honorable Member

The local GC pretty much matches Musician's Friend prices on everything. I think XL 10's are around $3.95.

-Metaellihead

ReplyQuote
(@maxrumble)
Honorable Member

I was in England last summer and I paid 8.50 GPB for a set of D'ddarrio Acoustic 12s. I was in shock. That is three times what I pay for them locally.

Cheers,

Max

ReplyQuote
(@mikey)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Yes, I know. I certainly am not missing shoveling a foot to a foot and a half of snow today as my buds in the Northeast are. Sorry guys, and believe me I do feel for you.

I do expect my golf game to get much better. It seems you can't spit without it landing on a fairway down here. The fees are very reasonable too, without all the congestion you have to put up with playing golf in NY.

Mags.. air conditioners are not a year round thing down here. As a matter of fact we've had the heat on a few nights, and it could be 40's when you leave for work and 70's when you get home.

All in all. If the price of strings is the only thing I can complain about I guess I'm doing pretty well.

Mike

Playing an instrument is good for your soul

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Mike

I was just kidding with you. I have lived in New England 24 years now, so I'm pretty used to the cold. We got about 15" since I posted last night and it's still coming down. Thankfully, it is a very dry light snow, not too bad.

I usually pay about $6-7 a set from a local music store. I like GHS Boomers 9-42.

Yeah, the pizza is better in the Northeast, and the deli's have a far greater selection too.

But try the BBQ down south! :D

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@margaret)
Noble Member

Mikey,

Don't feel TOO bad for us while you're strumming away under the palm trees by the beach.

We know you've got bugs of a size we've never seen before, and YEAR-ROUND! :evil:

Up here we've got fresh cheese curds, beer, polka music, ski hills, and cows! :D

Margaret

When my mind is free, you know a melody can move me
And when I'm feelin' blue, the guitar's comin' through to soothe me ~

ReplyQuote
(@luvgilmour)
Estimable Member

We got about 10 inches here last night... PS - I pay about 7:00 bucks average for decent quality strings... My vehicle gets about 15 miles to the gallon... So, at today's prices, the drive to the music store costs me more in gas than a pack of strings... Guess I need to buy online...

I'll only be down there (in the basement practicing) for a couple of minutes or so...
My SoundClick Page: http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=470725

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 3