Clear all

Spoiled / Rant - Too much for strings

34 Posts
24 Users
0 Likes
(@margaret)
Noble Member

Gilmour,

Cute photo! If you can believe, it, we're WAY short on snow here in Wis. this winter (and the past several!). A neighbor trucked in a pick-up full of snow from somewhere and dumped it in his front yard for his kids to play in. It was warm and didn't last long. Since then, we got about half-an-inch, but the sleds are languishing in the garage..... :cry: We've been watching the news of the eastern states getting dumped on, with envy. Who woulda thunk?? Enjoy the fluffy white stuff while you can.

Margaret

When my mind is free, you know a melody can move me
And when I'm feelin' blue, the guitar's comin' through to soothe me ~

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

In England, D'Addarios are £6.99 a set....at $1.90 to the pound, that'd be roughly $13.30....

:( :( :(

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

I buy my strings online - either from ebay or a discount supplier (last time, I bought from "Strings & Beyond"). From ebay, I can get 9 sets of D'addarios for less than £3.50 a set (inc. p&p). From S&B, I think I paid about $4.50 a set (I bought 10 sets) inc. p&p for Ernie Ball's.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@u2bono269)
Noble Member

ive got a GC right down the street from where i teach, and it's literally on the way home, so i just stop in and buy some strings. the martins i like are $5.99 each, i think. that gets pricey when i have 2 guitars though. i buy them about 4 or 5 at a time, cos i change about once every 4-6 weeks. the D'Addarios i like cost about $3 a pack. i get more of those cos i have 3 guitars to put them on. then at holidays my family likes to give me a "guitar string care package" with some picks and about 3 packs of each string i use. hooray for that. and then i save the d'addario packaging for free stuff. i got a cool khaki hat that i wear almost as much as my U2 hat.

http://www.brianbetteridge.com

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

I pay E4 a pack over here. Paying over $13 a set is plain nasty...

ReplyQuote
(@pvtele)
Reputable Member

I get my d'Addario's at £10 for 2 sets from my local Ibanez main dealer in Dorchester - not so bad - around $8.75 ...

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

This could be like complaining about the price of gasoline/petrol. :lol:

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

Mikey, I feel you with the pizza deal. What is wrong with you people outside of NY! JEEZE! Couldn't get a decent slice if my life depended on it.

And your water is terrible! No but really, why is it that Long Island's water is so good, and I can't stand the water any where else. Except at Lake Powell, which I believe was Nevada. I remember because I took a trip to Vegas and I hated the water everywhere we went, and then we came to lake powell, and it was like the sweet nectar of the gods!

On the downside, I just got through with 27 inches of snow, what the newscasters are calling record breaking for NYC.

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Ricochet, when I was in Texas last year, wherever I went people were complaining about petrol/gas prices - their faces were something to see when I informed them Americans pay roughly 1/3 of British prices.....

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@mattguitar_1567859575)
Noble Member

I think that this whole site should have a sticky

"all USA members please DO NOT post anything about how expensive guitars / strings / beer is...out of respect for members in other parts of the world."

England
Petrol - £3.36 per gallon
Beer - £3 a pint
cig's £5 for 20.
elixir strings £10.40 a set.

Really, you don't know how lucky you are. Oh, not to mention guitars. My Larivee would have cost me £900 here in the UK. I got it from $850 canadian ......!!!!

SO STOP MOANING!

Matt

ReplyQuote
(@bford)
Reputable Member

Thats a pretty good statement Matt. When I find myself or a family member complaining about how bad something is I try to remember/remind them that someone always has it worse than you do.

Treat others how you would like to be treated.

ReplyQuote
(@martin-6)
Honorable Member

Matt I think you are drinking in the wrong bars...

ReplyQuote
(@roundeye)

I'll preface this by saying that I am not really a string guru, but I'm pretty happy with the strings I bought from here... http://www.webstrings.com/acoustic_guitar_strings_phosphor_bronze_6_string.html .
They are really inexpensive and the shipping was free. I think it was Little Brother who gave his opinion of these a while back (maybe on his website) stating that he was satisfied. That's good enough for me. :)

As far as the "Bad" pizza goes, everything is relative. The art of good fried chicken and sweet iced tea has not migrated very far North. In fact, because of the southern migration and a misguided attempt at being healthy, sweet tea is becoming scarce even here in South Carolina!

As a side note, one of the funniest things I've ever seen was the reaction that a Canadian vendor had while trying Carolina style (Lexington NC) Barbeque on a buisness trip to Raleigh NC when I lived there. Man that was priceless...

- Jeff

Nothing to see here...

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

In fact, because of the southern migration and a misguided attempt at being healthy, sweet tea is becoming scarce even here in South Carolina!It's totally bizarre that unsweetened tea is now widely available at barbeque joints! Unbelievable! :shock:

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@bobblehat)
Reputable Member

For those of us who have to put up with uk prices check out http://www.stringbusters.com
I've saved a small fortune and they deliver next day!

My Band: http://www.myspace.com/thelanterns2010
playing whilst drunk is only permitted if all band members are in a similar state!

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 3