Clear all

Squier '51 roll-call

763 Posts
112 Users
0 Likes
133.8 K Views
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Bridge buzzing: After you get the intonation adjusted, make sure every one of the twelve height adjustment screws is at least slightly snug -- these are the suckers that rattle. That will stop the bridge buzzing. If you are hardcore about this issue, wick a very little Locktite or clear fingernail polish into the thread's of the each screw, being careful not to spill this over into the allen wrench hole.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@coloradofenderbender)
Noble Member

Thanks for the tip, Gnease. But personally, I will just get rid of the bridge and buy a new, better one. That way I don't have to worry about it anymore.

ReplyQuote
(@the-dali)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Ahhh... the list continues to grow!!

The Dali
Margaret
Bish
Wes
Slejhamer
Sdolsay
Duffmaster
U2Bono269
Banre
Crank'n'Jam
dhutson
Steeder
Baldwin
DennisF6
Hudman
Nick
CSmart01
Dagwood
Boxboy
Vink
Gnease
Izabella
ColoradoFenderBender
Shrim
Teleplayer324
jwmartin

Yes... there are 27 of us wackos.

-=- Steve

"If the moon were made of ribs, would you eat it?"

ReplyQuote
(@the-dali)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Just reading through some of the notes about mods for this guitar... funny... it starts as a "for $99, how can you go wrong?" and then "I think I'm updating the tuners and bridge"... and then you update pickups and the next thing you know we all have a $200 - $300 guitar!

-=- Steve

ReplyQuote
(@sticky)
Trusted Member

Just reading through some of the notes about mods for this guitar... funny... it starts as a "for $99, how can you go wrong?" and then "I think I'm updating the tuners and bridge"... and then you update pickups and the next thing you know we all have a $200 - $300 guitar!
LOL, I've noticed that trend but if I do any mods it will be cheap ones, like GF bridge and pickups, and that's it. Pick guards are not a cost efficient upgrade for it IMO but as my electric I'm really happy I bought one.

How do you know if a drummer is knocking on your door.....

The knocking speeds up.

ReplyQuote
(@maddmodder)
Estimable Member

Dali Lama, now there's 28 of us! :D I've had mine since July. :)

ReplyQuote
(@robbie)
Honorable Member

Well add me to the list. I couldn't stand it anymore. Having it shipped to my friends place in Yuma and will pick it up there in January on my way to the Baja. Just what I needed a ninth guitar. Oh well I can justify it as my party axe, one that I won't have to be anal about if it gets dinged. It is the vintage blonde I kept going back and looking at Bish's pic of his A POX ON YOU ALL (g)!!
Robbie

ReplyQuote
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

It is the vintage blonde I kept going back and looking at Bish's pic of his A POX ON YOU ALL (g)!!
Robbie

Shoot, I meant to take that pix down, too. Sorry Robbie. not :D

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

ReplyQuote
(@the-dali)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Ok... updates (again).

The Dali
Margaret
Bish
Wes
Slejhamer
Sdolsay
Duffmaster
U2Bono269
Banre
Crank'n'Jam
dhutson
Steeder
Baldwin
DennisF6
Hudman
Nick
CSmart01
Dagwood
Boxboy
Vink
Gnease
Izabella
ColoradoFenderBender
Shrim
Teleplayer324
jwmartin
Robbie
MadModder

We are at 29 - who's gonna help us get over the top to 30???

-=- Steve

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

If you count multiple offenders, the count is already over 30. :P

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@duffmaster)
Noble Member

I spent my birthday on a cry baby classic instead. Take one "wacko" off the list. My next guitar is gonna be a fender standard strat anyways. I tried one on for size the other day, and It's changed my mind about fender strats. I actually carried this strat around with me all day to try the wah out and some amps, just because it played so nice.

P.S- You know your hard work practicing every day is working when the guitar center guys tell you to turn it up. If one more kid played A Darrell solo I think this guy was gonna shoot himself. I was playing the funk and some blues, and that sure made the employees ears happy.

Who needs a signature?
I mean really...
It's almost always lyrics...
or a cliche...
or garbage about me...
Lets just save YOU from the pain, ok?

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

P.S- You know your hard work practicing every day is working when the guitar center guys tell you to turn it up. If one more kid played A Darrell solo I think this guy was gonna shoot himself. I was playing the funk and some blues, and that sure made the employees ears happy.

I've never had problems with salespeople. One time I went in with a Metallica top on and while he was setting it all up he said "Let's drive everyone crazy because no one wants to hear you play Metallica." I don't worry much about it. What are they gonna do? "I'm sorry you'll have to leave because your music drives us insane. No, no, we don't want you to spend $750 on this amp, please leave now."

ReplyQuote
(@duffmaster)
Noble Member

My guitar center can get hostile, I don't know about other places. The Metal kids and some blues guys almost got in a brawl once cause they were both tring out marshalls right next to each other. One turned his volume up to hear, the other turned his up, until they were both playing at a rediculous level. Then they put the guitars down and started yelling at each other.

Plus my Guitar Center is getting real crowded. They just nocked a local store out of buisness, so now were down to two decent stores.

With the traffic they get, and the kids who just can't play blaring amps, I would hate to work there.

Who needs a signature?
I mean really...
It's almost always lyrics...
or a cliche...
or garbage about me...
Lets just save YOU from the pain, ok?

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

I ordered and received today the replacement bridge from GuitarFetish. Looks pretty nice, but not any higher quality than the original bridge. And I did not order out of any dissatisfaction with the stock bridge except it is a little difficult to restring. I put new strings on and did not have too much trouble, but it is more difficult than most bridges. I found if you push down on the string as you pass it through the bridge the string will come up on the saddle. Still, a little bit of a hassle.

I really like this guitar, used it at our last gig. I was just gonna use it for a few songs to try it out and ended up using the '51 all night. It really has very good tone, and is super comfortable to play. I am going to try to order another one soon, that's how much I like it. I will probably gig with this guitar from now on, that's why I ordered the replacement bridge so I could change strings more easily in poor lighting if necessary.

I was also going to raise the neck pickup because of the big volume difference between the neck and bridge pickups. But this is only when using the bridge as a humbucker. If you pull the coil tap out and use the bridge as a single coil I found the volume almost identical to the neck pickup. So I am not going to raise the neck pickup at all.

I like both pickups. The humbucker has a lot more gain than you might expect, and the neck has a surprisingly jangly sweet Strat tone.

Only negative thing to say about this guitar is that it would be nice to have a Tone knob. But I just use an EQ pedal for that.

So, how many here are sorry they got the '51?? Not me, I think it is a great guitar. 8)

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@crank-n-jam)
Noble Member

Wes, I really like mine as well. I didn't like the neck at first, but after playing it everything kinda smoothed out a little or I got use to it. Regardless, probably the best $99 I've spent on guitar gear. I played it a lot until I got my Tele. :) It will more than likely get lugged to jam sessions and camping trips because I've found it sounds really good through my Microcube. EDIT: I forgot to add that at first I too wished for a tone knob. However, I've found that just a tiny turn of the volume knob will really unbrighten (is that a word?) the tone. Sometimes I like it a little bright sounding, but when I move down the board and play on the high strings, it can get a little too bright.

I have the GFS bridge sitting at home to be swapped out as well. I want to replace it for the exact reason as you (well, I also get some buzzing from the bridge sometimes as well). Will probably do that this week. I too thought the two bridges felt about the same quality wise.

My sisters boyfriend (who plays in multiple bands and is a very experienced musician) played it and enjoyed it. I think his exact words were "It's a lot of fun. Its got a lot of growl. I like that.". I found it funny because he is one of those guys that prefers expensive guitars.

Jason

"Rock And Roll Ain't Noise Pollution"

ReplyQuote
Page 12 / 51