Squier '51 roll-call

763 Posts
112 Users
0 Likes
133.6 K Views
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Jason

Did you read Greg's (Gnease) post? You gotta make sure all the small saddle Allen screws are seated properly, this may be causing the buzz you heard. I lowered all the saddles right away (I like pretty low action), so I didn't experience this.

I will probably replace the bridge in a few days, no hurry. Like I said, no problems with the stock bridge at all really, I just want to be able to replace a string fast if I have to.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@crank-n-jam)
Noble Member

I did, but only after I had received the new bridge! :) Since I have it now, I'm going to use it. Plus I'm going to use this as an exercise in setting action, intonation, and truss rod (I'm going to put some 10's on it). I've not really messed with any of that myself so I'd like to learn.

Jason

"Rock And Roll Ain't Noise Pollution"

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Jason

Setting up your own guitar is not difficult at all and will save you lots of money. Plus, nobody can set your guitar up the way you can. :D

Here is a pretty good page on guitar setup.

http://users.powernet.co.uk/guitars/setuptut.htm

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@vanzant38)
Reputable Member

Still haven't put my GFS bridge on. The Squier bridge still rattles, no matter how many times I adjust the saddle height screws. Hoping that the GFS will be a little better in this reguard.

I thought of starting a new thread with this but everyone who has a 51 is probably reading this thread. The question, the neck on the 51 looks like a Tele neck, is it really??

And I've read that some are getting their 51 with a glued in finger board and some are one piece, which is better. Mine is the glued in fingerboard, it looks great but am worried about it getting dirty since its lightly colored and not finished. I have a Hohner Strat with a fingerboard just like the 51 and the Hohner's is pretty dirty(got it really cheap off EBAY).

My dad would always talk about retirement, and allude to the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. And I say all you've got at the end of the rainbow is death. You're riding the rainbow right now. - Mark Borchardt

ReplyQuote
(@vanzant38)
Reputable Member

Well I just experienced GAS 51x2. Just paid for my 2nd 51. Its a return from MF, and I haven't gotten the confirmation email yet so its possible that someone else got it before I did.

I am going to go out on a limb and say that two Squier 51s are enough, am I wrong?

Oh yeah the 2nd 51 is Butterscotch, the 1st is 2-tone burst.

Merry Christmas!

My dad would always talk about retirement, and allude to the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. And I say all you've got at the end of the rainbow is death. You're riding the rainbow right now. - Mark Borchardt

ReplyQuote
(@the-dali)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Vanzant, it appears that the neck is a telecaster neck, perhaps the same necks used on the other Squier 21-fret series. The neck pocket looks to be the exact same as a telecaster neck pocket.

I'm halfway through my Guinness project with this guitar, and I have some pictures which I'll try to post tonight.

-=- Steve

"If the moon were made of ribs, would you eat it?"

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

This neck is not quite the same as some other Squier Tele necks. I have a Squier Standard Tele, I believe it's an '03, and the neck is quite a bit narrower at the nut. This '51 neck is actually very similar to the neck on my Fender American Tele, almost identical except the finish. The frets are smoother on my Fender too. The '51 neck does stain easily, but I like the look, sorta gives it a real vintage vibe. 8)

ReplyQuote
(@sticky)
Trusted Member

If anyone Tung oiled their neck please post a pic, I'd love to see how it looks.

The height adjustment screws so seem a bit touchy in that if they're evenly adjusted the saddles rattle. If I find it to be too much of a headache I'll do the GFS bridge(I'll probably buy one anyway they're so cheap).

How do you know if a drummer is knocking on your door.....

The knocking speeds up.

ReplyQuote
(@the-dali)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Hi guys! Here are some pictures of my Guinness project ... still in the works.

The tough part is that I can't play the blasted guitar because I'm working on it!

-=- Steve

ReplyQuote
(@csmart01)
Estimable Member

From a guy who has been to the Guinness brewery... twice (took the 5 and 10 year old the second time... hey, Dad gets to pick the destination on some days) I LOVE that freakin' mod! How did you apply the head decals? Did you spray on an overcoat? Are they decals or just labels? Again, great work.

Charlie

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

Dali, that's tasty!

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@coloradofenderbender)
Noble Member

Dali:

I may have some labels, if you need any more! :D

Mike

ReplyQuote
(@the-dali)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Ha... thanks guys. Yes, those are honest-to-God real labels! I emptied the bottles myself.

This is still in progress because I need to apply about 20 coats of lacquer (sanding in-between every 4th coat) on both the headstock and the pickguard. These pictures were taken prior to any lacquer. They both have 3 coats on right now.

I just soak the labels and then glue them on while wet.

-=- Steve

ReplyQuote
(@sticky)
Trusted Member

Nice!

Now you have to use the widgets (nitrogen charged puck in the pub cans) as volume and selector knobs!

:)

How do you know if a drummer is knocking on your door.....

The knocking speeds up.

ReplyQuote
(@the-dali)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

I was toying with the idea of using the beer bottle caps for the top of the volume and pickup selector knobs...

-=- Steve

ReplyQuote
Page 13 / 51