Clear all

Squier '51 roll-call

763 Posts
112 Users
0 Likes
133.7 K Views
(@vanzant38)
Reputable Member

Wow thats a Nice mod. Are you going to mod the body too? I smell endorsement money coming your way!

My dad would always talk about retirement, and allude to the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. And I say all you've got at the end of the rainbow is death. You're riding the rainbow right now. - Mark Borchardt

ReplyQuote
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

That looks interesting Dali. Tell me you are NOT going to do that to the Tele. :? :D

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

ReplyQuote
(@robbie)
Honorable Member

So inquiring minds want to know, does this mean that the Dali ended up with your cool lookin Tele, Bish?
Robbie

ReplyQuote
(@fah-q)
Estimable Member

so i jumped on the bandwagon today ordered the vintage blonde from MF for christmas
Dali that guitar looks great any tips on how to do that i got some extra blue moon bottles i might try that with

ReplyQuote
 vink
(@vink)
Prominent Member

Since this is the mondo 51 thread:

On my 51, the bridge pickup is turned on when the control switch is turned all the way counter clockwise (ie closest to the top) and the neck pickup at the most clockwise position (towards the bottom). It seems the opposite of what I would expect. Did they wire mine wrong, or is that how all of them are wired?

--vink
"Life is either an adventure or nothing" -- Helen Keller

ReplyQuote
(@the-dali)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Hi all... yes, I was the lucky one to end up with Bish's Tele. Hey, when a compatriot is in need of removing himself of gear, I'll be there for him, you know? Anyway, no I won't be modifying that one...

In terms of the '51 - thanks! Yeah, it is coming along.

Fahq - it isn't hard to do. Just get the labels off the beer bottles and soak them in water for 5 or 6 minutes. Lightly sand the headstock or the pickguard (whichever you are doing) and then put the labels on with a layer of white glue while they are wet. Make sure they are totally smooth with no bumps. Leave overnight. Once dry, re-glue any parts that didn't stick and then spray the labels with a clear lacquer. Do a VERY light coat. Then add coats every few hours. Once you get to 5 or 6 you can start to spray it pretty thick. After 10 or so you can sand with 600 grit paper and then spray some more. When it is as smooth as you want let it sit for a few days, then sand with 1000 grit paper and then 0000 steel wool. Done.

-=- Steve

"If the moon were made of ribs, would you eat it?"

ReplyQuote
(@robbie)
Honorable Member

Dali, I like your 51 project, it looks cool however I must admit that I am from the old school and think that tele is a great looking axe. I have the 60th anniversary model and really like it. I hope your new Tele does the same for you!
Robbie

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

For those who don't frequent the "jams" section, I'm just pointing out that the Funk451 team is looking for one more guitarist to close out the current funk jam. Only requirement is that the guitar used must be a '51. :)

http://forums.guitarnoise.com/viewtopic.php?p=264812#264812

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@fah-q)
Estimable Member

hey dali would super glue be better to use or is white glue the best? did you soak the bottles to get the labels off? im thinking of using either jack daniels jim beam or johnnie walker labels

ReplyQuote
(@the-dali)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

I've done quite a few of these projects (this is my first, however, done on a pickguard) and the regular white glue works very well. The important thing is that the label needs to be thoroughly wet when you apply, so it adheres to all the contours of the headstock, body, etc.

Also, make sure you apply the glue to the body or headstock and not the label.

As for the kind of label... beer labels are by far the best. I tried wine labels - forget it. They just shred when you try to take them off. Plus, half of the wine labels are a plastic-sticker-type material and not paper.

As for the whiskey labels. I am finishing up the "Whiskey Strat" right now (see http://www.limaclassic.com/projects.html ) and the labels were VERY DIFFICULT to get off without ripping them. The beer bottle labels come off after soaking the bottles for 10 minutes. The whiskey labels required at least a day, and then very careful work to get them off.

-=- Steve

"If the moon were made of ribs, would you eat it?"

ReplyQuote
(@shrim)

Well, mine came last week, and I gotta tell you, it is a great guitar. Going out today to get some new strings, since the ones that shipped w/it were crappy.

Looking forward to digging in and seeing what I can mod...

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Since this is the mondo 51 thread:

On my 51, the bridge pickup is turned on when the control switch is turned all the way counter clockwise (ie closest to the top) and the neck pickup at the most clockwise position (towards the bottom). It seems the opposite of what I would expect. Did they wire mine wrong, or is that how all of them are wired?

Vink, nothing wrong with your guitar, that is how the pickup selector works on the 51. It does seem opposite of what it should be, but you get used to it quick.

Also, you might think there is a big difference in volume between the bridge humbucker and neck single coil volume as well. And there is. But if you pull the coil tap up and play the bridge pickup as a single coil, then the volumes are very well matched.

So with the coil tap you get 5 different tones with this guitar:

1)Bridge as humbucker

2)Bridge as single coil

3)Humbucker bridge with single coil neck

4) Single coil bridge with single coil neck

5) Single coil neck

That's pretty impressive for a $99 guitar. And they all sound pretty darn great. :D

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
 vink
(@vink)
Prominent Member

Vink, nothing wrong with your guitar, that is how the pickup selector works on the 51. It does seem opposite of what it should be, but you get used to it quick.
< stuff deleted >
That's pretty impressive for a $99 guitar. And they all sound pretty darn great. :D

Thanks, Wes! Just wanted to make sure. Since this is my only guitar with a knob pickup selector, it is not hard for me to get used to it.

Agreed, it is really darn good for $99! I still have to play a little bit more with the setup, but it's getting there. Just a little "twanginess" or "sharpness" on the 2nd string..

Figures we have not seen too many posts here lately asking "What's a good first electric guitar to buy?" when we finally have a good answer :-) :-)

--vink
"Life is either an adventure or nothing" -- Helen Keller

ReplyQuote
(@fah-q)
Estimable Member

edit: please disregard my post i figured it out and now feel mildy retarded :oops:

ReplyQuote
(@1armbandit)
Estimable Member

After reading this thread what I thought was a stupid impulse might not be too bad.
Last Saturday I went by the MF clearance center in KC, looking for a wireless instrument system for my harp rig. So I can dance around the house when I play.

I couldn't resist looking at all the scratch and dent guitars on the walls and started considering taking one home. I didn't do any research ahead of time and I know almost nothing about guitars but I couldn't help myself. I ended up with a blonde '51. The tags said "defective input jack", looked like the nut was missing and even if it was defective I have input jacks. Started out at $99, then 50% off as s/d, so now $50, plus 20% off coupon in my pocket, so now $40, plus they throw in an $8 stand and $4 cord so thats what $28 for the guitar. And it was just the nut on the jack.

The finish is perfect, the setup was pretty good, and it sound great through my VJH.

Now can anyone tell me how to play guitar?
And as the screenname says, I have no right arm.

But at least now I know I got a good deal on a good guitar.

ReplyQuote
Page 14 / 51