Clear all

Squier '51 roll-call

763 Posts
112 Users
0 Likes
133.8 K Views
(@gunslinger)
Reputable Member

I'm sitting here looking at new sound cards (the one I'm looking at is about 150), and I feel like I should be getting this thing. I still have to get pickups for my strat! You people should be ashamed for making me think of getting one of these instead......

Our songs also have the standard pop format: Verse, chorus, verse, chorus, solo, bad solo. All in all, I think we sound like The Knack and the Bay City Rollers being molested by Black Flag and Black Sabbath.

Kurt Cobain

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Do not be afraid, we are all your friends here.

You want the 51, you know you want the 51, you cannot live without the 51, you LOVE the 51.

Please take your shoes off at the door. :twisted:

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@gunslinger)
Reputable Member

I called Sarah to see if another guitar would be a problem (she's in NY for the holidays), and she told me to choose between the soundcard, the guitar, and the pickups for now because our trip to Memphis is coming up on New Years weekend and I'll want money to spend if we find some small music store.

I wish the GC closest to the house had them in stock. I already planned on making that trip this Saturday because my brother is picking up an EVJ. I'm fairly sure I'd just put the money down for it right then and there if I were to actually play it.

Our songs also have the standard pop format: Verse, chorus, verse, chorus, solo, bad solo. All in all, I think we sound like The Knack and the Bay City Rollers being molested by Black Flag and Black Sabbath.

Kurt Cobain

ReplyQuote
(@kblake)
Reputable Member

G'day all,

As I said I have ordered one of these (I expect it will take a week or two because of Chritmas)
Been looking at the Squier website, this 3 way switch and push pull knobs seems a bit confusing...
Guess I'll be having to give it a real workout when it gets here !

(note to self.....store food and beer for long period of seclusion, just me and the '51)

Keith

I know a little bit about a lot of things, but not a lot about anything...
Looking for people to jam with in Sydney Oz.......

ReplyQuote
(@baldwin)
Trusted Member

Wow, I got the sunburst today and it looks really nice. The volume know is a little out of whack, but I think I can fix that. The finish on it is very nice. My black does appear to be constructed a little better, but like I said, the imperfections are definitely fixable. Overall, no regrets.

ReplyQuote
(@brothaweed)
Trusted Member

Why is everyone so crazy about this guitar? Is it the price? Why do you want multiple ones?

ReplyQuote
(@brothaweed)
Trusted Member

I have this crazy urge to get one just based on this discussion! That can't be right...

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

It's not just the low cost - though that definitely makes it a no brainer. These simple guitars have a very cool vibe about them. I bought two outright, figuring I'd use one as a travel or at-the-office guitar.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@vanzant38)
Reputable Member

Dali Lama,

I wanted a black PG and PUP cover for my Sunburst 51.
Since PGs for the 51 is so high on ebay, I just figured that I would buy a new 51. One morning MF had a blem blonde for $76 so I snagged it. I may paint it Tangerine, still mulling that decision over.

Adios.

My dad would always talk about retirement, and allude to the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. And I say all you've got at the end of the rainbow is death. You're riding the rainbow right now. - Mark Borchardt

ReplyQuote
(@baldwin)
Trusted Member

I bought the black to mod it and then decided that I liked it so much that I decided to buy a sunburst to keep stock. Besides, at $99 how can you really go wrong?

ReplyQuote
(@the-dali)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

You know what is crazy...? I was at Toys R Us last night getting some last minute items for my kids and I saw their little guitar section. They are selling "First Act" beginner guitars for $99. I looked at these things, and they are nothing more than toys. There might be some decent First Act guitars out there, but these were pretty much toys.

Anyway... of course I couldn't help but think about the Squier '51 and why anyone would buy a $99 First Act at Toys R Us when they could buy a real guitar for the same price.

I know there are some other good guitar deals out there as well (for $79 - 150) so it amazes me that First Act can even turn a profit. I know that most parents don't know the first thing about musical instruments, so they get caught up in the price and all, and that is a shame. I feel like these deals and companies (knowingly) take advantage of the unknowing.

For instance, I was also at Guitar Center last night getting a gift certificate for my cousin (honest, that's why I was there) and they had numerous used amplifiers for $40 - $100 and then I saw a USED ROLAND CUBE 15 for $149. $149 !!!! They sell for $99 new!! It made me sick.

-=- Steve

"If the moon were made of ribs, would you eat it?"

ReplyQuote
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

Free Enterprise and Buyer Beware.

Go armed and buy. :D

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

ReplyQuote
(@the-dali)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

I'm sitting here looking at new sound cards (the one I'm looking at is about 150), and I feel like I should be getting this thing. I still have to get pickups for my strat! You people should be ashamed for making me think of getting one of these instead......

'Slinger... go to this page and buy the overwound pickups for your Strat. You WON'T be disappointed.

http://store.guitarfetish.com/ovstserewowh.html

Task #1 done. Go out and get the Squier '51 for $99 shipped w/ no tax. Task #2 done. What is the problem?

Oh, the sound card for $150. I just showed you how to get two guitars for $125, why do you need a $150 sound card?

-=- Steve

"If the moon were made of ribs, would you eat it?"

ReplyQuote
(@urbancowgirl)
Reputable Member

I have this crazy urge to get one just based on this discussion! That can't be right...
I agree. I just got my first electric and don't even know exactly how it works yet but I am really wanting to buy one of these now.
Why did I happen upon this thread? Why!!?
You people are evil. :twisted:

All my life I wanted to be somebody. Now I see I should have been more specific.

ReplyQuote
(@reeve)
Estimable Member

Haha all I hear is worship for the '51. But,

is there an acoustic equivalent of this godsend (as in cheap yet amazing)?

Well, I've had some requests, but I'm going to play anyway.

ReplyQuote
Page 18 / 51