Clear all

Squier '51 roll-call

763 Posts
112 Users
0 Likes
133.8 K Views
(@gunslinger)
Reputable Member

'Slinger... go to this page and buy the overwound pickups for your Strat. You WON'T be disappointed.

http://store.guitarfetish.com/ovstserewowh.html

Task #1 done. Go out and get the Squier '51 for $99 shipped w/ no tax. Task #2 done. What is the problem?

Oh, the sound card for $150. I just showed you how to get two guitars for $125, why do you need a $150 sound card?

I'm calling the closest guitarcenter to see if they have one in stock. If so, I'm headed out in about 20 minutes to go buy one. As for guitarfetish, I've been looking at their pickups lately. I'm seriously considering buying them, but I was really thinking of winding my own. I still just haven't decided.

The soundcard can wait. Maybe I'll use my last check in January to get an even nicer one.

Our songs also have the standard pop format: Verse, chorus, verse, chorus, solo, bad solo. All in all, I think we sound like The Knack and the Bay City Rollers being molested by Black Flag and Black Sabbath.

Kurt Cobain

ReplyQuote
(@smokindog)
Illustrious Member

Haha all I hear is worship for the '51. But,

is there an acoustic equivalent of this godsend (as in cheap yet amazing)?

I have a Johnson JO 610 , you can get one (or similar model) for around $99 or less. I use it mostly for slide, sounds good with the pick-up.
Here is a tune I did using it on all the guitar parts on a Tascam cassette 4-track
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/songInfo.cfm?bandID=213596&songID=1796219

My Youtube Page
http://www.youtube.com/user/smokindog
http://www.soundclick.com/smokindogandthebluezers

http://www.soundclick.com/guitarforumjams

ReplyQuote
(@vanzant38)
Reputable Member

I have this crazy urge to get one just based on this discussion! That can't be right...

Peer pressure! Ahh. Feels good.

My dad would always talk about retirement, and allude to the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. And I say all you've got at the end of the rainbow is death. You're riding the rainbow right now. - Mark Borchardt

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Why is everyone so crazy about this guitar? Is it the price? Why do you want multiple ones?

I have this crazy urge to get one just based on this discussion! That can't be right...

I think the low price has a lot to do with it, you get a lot of guitar for under $100. But this guitar easily competes with guitars costing $300-400 quality wise.

But that is not why I like this guitar so much (I bought two). I like two things about this guitar especially, the playability and tone.

This is probably the most comfortable guitar I have ever owned, it feels better than my Fender Tele, Strat, and Gibson LP. This guitar is weighted perfect, when you let go of it, it hangs perfectly. Hard to describe. But just raise your hands and it is right there where it's supposed to be. The neck is really nice too. It is fast, you can get the action low, string bends are easy...
It is not the easiest guitar to play way up high, probably not a guitar for a Metal shredder type. But very good for a Blues style string bender.

The tone is great. It has it's own unique tone, not quite a Strat, not quite a Tele, but somewhere inbetween. The humbucker is very good in my opinion, gets nice solid thick tone, sounds great with overdrive or distortion. The bridge played clean single-coil is very crisp, the neck pickup has a very pretty, jangly type tone, almost acoustic guitar sounding. Also hard to describe. But I really like the tone of this guitar. It will make a little noise when using single-coils which is normal. I am thinking of putting some shielding tape around the pickups. But I played this guitar at a gig high volume and noise was not an issue at all.

So that's why I like it. It is attractive, but nothing fancy. If you are into fancy inlays and bindings, then it is not the guitar for you. But it looks good. I like both models I own (Vintage Blonde and Sunburst). The Sunburst is very pretty, much nicer than I expected.

I do wish the guitar had a tone knob. But I simply use an EQ pedal, some of my pedals have Tone controls as well, so I just set up tone like that.

I dunno, you just have to play one. It is like the Epiphone Valve Junior head that is so popular. The manufacturer just happened to come out with a great product at an unbelieveable low price. Both could charge much more and people would be glad to pay it. It's like an old saying,

"Even a blind hog finds an acorn once in awhile"

They just got it right. :D

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@the-dali)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

FYI everyone, it looks like we might have some other options for the Squier '51 modifications...

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/showthread.php?s=9e2b641cf110df2814cbfdf316c8c48f&threadid=1471196

-=- Steve

"If the moon were made of ribs, would you eat it?"

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Hey, those pickguards from GuitarFetish are pretty nice. This photo is just a mock-up.

Can't decide which one I like most, but I'm leaning toward the one on the right.

Thanks for the post.

Wes

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@urbancowgirl)
Reputable Member

Well, add my name to the list. I had a $60 credit on my visa and zero willpower left.
The black 51 will be here in 2-5 business days and it actually only cost me $39. :D

All my life I wanted to be somebody. Now I see I should have been more specific.

ReplyQuote
(@vanzant38)
Reputable Member

Well I for 1 am looking forward to seeing the real thing. Anyone wanna guess at the price.

My dad would always talk about retirement, and allude to the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. And I say all you've got at the end of the rainbow is death. You're riding the rainbow right now. - Mark Borchardt

ReplyQuote
(@the-dali)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Well, add my name to the list. I had a $60 credit on my visa and zero willpower left.
The black 51 will be here in 2-5 business days and it actually only cost me $39. :D

Good for you! I love the "and zero willpower left" comment.

I look forward to hearing what you think of this guitar's neck and playability versus that Tele you just got.

-=- Steve

"If the moon were made of ribs, would you eat it?"

ReplyQuote
(@billybenbob)
Trusted Member

I've been away from the site for several months.

I now have a guitar ordered that I hadn't even heard of this morning!

I didn't even make it past the 6th page of the thread before I had to open a new window to Musiciansfriend.com

Mrs billybenbob really couldn't see the need for another guitar (my 12 year old son did give a valient effort of trying to explain it to her), but at that price, she also didn't threaten me with anything too drastic.

Peace & Joy my friends

I wanted to learn to play guitar really badly and I think that I have succeeded.

ReplyQuote
(@racetruck1)
Honorable Member

Good Lord!

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think that makes over 35 Squires purchased on this site alone! :shock:

Nothing wrong with that at all and I'm glad everyone is happy with their purchases, me, I can't afford to get one at this time nor can I justify getting one, (too many axes, yeah I know "Theres no such thing as too many axes!")

I think that some one has to contact Fender and have the 51 renamed as "The Guitar Noise Signature series 51 strat"! 8) :lol

Who knows, maybe they will start giving us free ones as being we are all
"Artist-Endorsers"! :roll:

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming......
like the passengers in his car.

ReplyQuote
(@vanzant38)
Reputable Member

Good Lord!

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think that makes over 35 Squires purchased on this site alone! :shock:

Nothing wrong with that at all and I'm glad everyone is happy with their purchases, me, I can't afford to get one at this time nor can I justify getting one, (too many axes, yeah I know "Theres no such thing as too many axes!")

I think that some one has to contact Fender and have the 51 renamed as "The Guitar Noise Signature series 51 strat"! 8) :lol

Who knows, maybe they will start giving us free ones as being we are all
"Artist-Endorsers"! :roll:

Guitar Noise Signature series 51.

I like that idea.

ReplyQuote
(@duffmaster)
Noble Member

Santa Brought the 51' I've waited for!

Mines in Vintage Blonde and I love it. Everything sounds great, even with the strings it came with, though I'm going to be changing those soon enough.

Who needs a signature?
I mean really...
It's almost always lyrics...
or a cliche...
or garbage about me...
Lets just save YOU from the pain, ok?

ReplyQuote
(@waltaja)
Estimable Member

I too have joined the '51 ranks. blonde with a black pickguard

"I got a woman, stay drunk all the time!"

-Led Zeppelin-

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

LOL, this thing is getting out of hand now. :D

And I may be mistaken, but soon this thread will have over 10,000 views, I don't know of any other thread this popular.

Long live the '51 8)

ReplyQuote
Page 19 / 51