763 Posts
112 Users
0 Likes
133.6 K Views
(@the-dali)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

TL - did you buy one??

Geoo - I'm using an old beat-up Fender plastic case that fits like a GLOVE.

-=- Steve

"If the moon were made of ribs, would you eat it?"

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

Dali~ not yet, i am still trying to make time to get down to MF this weekend

#4491....

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

TL - did you buy one??

Geoo - I'm using an old beat-up Fender plastic case that fits like a GLOVE.

Humm, well I have it in the shopping cart just trying to decide if I REALLY wanna pull the trigger. Cant decide if I REALLY want that more or if I REALLY want a delay and a compression/sustainer pedals more.

Some of ya'll will kill me for this but I have wanted to have a "distressed" guitar for some time now and I figure I can "operate" on a $99 guitar all I want without feeling guilty for it.

Jim

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
(@urbancowgirl)
Reputable Member

Oo that's a nice case. I have a feeling my Christmas money is going to be spent fast.
My '51 is scheduled to be delivered today. Yay.

Lol @ TL... Denny Crane for President. I love that show but I work at a law firm so, yeah. :lol:

Geoo, you know you want to buy it. Just click the button already...

All my life I wanted to be somebody. Now I see I should have been more specific.

ReplyQuote
(@homestar_kevin)
Eminent Member

Yeah umm.... I ordered one last night. Had to go sunburst.

OOOO and if anyone wants a white pickguard, and currently has a black one they'd be willing to trade, then lets make things happen and pm me !?

Kevin

I can't wait for someone to say something worth quoting here...

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

Geoo, you know you want to buy it. Just click the button already...

Whew, I almost let that GAS out but in the end.. just a little. I skipped the guitar for now and got one of Guyatone ST-2 Compression Sustainer Pedal and one of Boss DD-6 Digital Delay Guitar Effects Pedal. Its all in how you control the GAS. :oops: I'll get the guitar in a couple weeks. heh

Jim

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
(@cicontention)
Trusted Member

i would like a black pickguard for my sunburst too. does anyone know where to get one without having to buy an entire second guitar.

ReplyQuote
(@the-dali)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Damn, Geoo I thought I had you!

I believe GuitarFetish (GuitarFetish.com) will be selling pickguards in January.

-=- Steve

"If the moon were made of ribs, would you eat it?"

ReplyQuote
(@homestar_kevin)
Eminent Member

darn, Geoo I thought I had you!

I believe GuitarFetish (GuitarFetish.com) will be selling pickguards in January.
really! That would be perfect. GuitarFetish has awsome prices on pretty much everything they sell, so I'd expect I can get a pickguard for less than like 60 bucks.

On a side note about GuitarFetish, does anyone have one of their GFS humbuckers? They all look really good, and the price is really tempting, any input?

Thanks Kevin

I can't wait for someone to say something worth quoting here...

ReplyQuote
(@urbancowgirl)
Reputable Member

I got my 51 today and I haven't had a lot of time to spend with it but so far it sounds and feels really nice. I do have one stupid question, however. I know there are 5 tones but I can only find 4. The tone knob has 3 settings and the volume knob pops up, which makes 4, but where is the 5th one? Sorry, but I'm new to all this electric stuff. :oops:
I only work a half day tomorrow so I plan to play with it more and compare it to my Tele.

Edit: nevermind I figured it out. Duh.

All my life I wanted to be somebody. Now I see I should have been more specific.

ReplyQuote
(@vanzant38)
Reputable Member

Dali Lima,

Does that USA Fender Alnico 3 single coil fit pretty well in the slot or did u have to some cutting. Do the Poles line up with the strings good. I am having a tough time picking a single coil for this thing. The Crunchy Paf is 15.9K, would I need a pretty hot single coil to go with it.

Vanzant, the single coil fits PERFECTLY (once you open up the pickguard opening) and it lines up PERFECTLY with the strings. I finished up the guitar last night and finally I can play it! Wow, it really plays well. The GFS bridge is really easy to setup and it strings easily. The neck is very nice, and it is really easy to play. I strung it up and in about 5 minutes I was playing it like it had been broken in for 2 years. Impressive.

I will tell you that the Alnico 3 USA strat pickup is VERY bright. I was expecting more growl out of it at the neck position, but it is extremely bright. Almost too bright. I'll keep it for now, but I might end up swapping it for something a little grittier.

Also, I was doing the "Lima Test" last night... you know, you all do the Lima Test... it's when you plug in a guitar and play it, and then immediately plug in another guitar to see how the two sound different... I did this with all my electrics and the Squier really holds it own - especially the bridge humbucker. It sustained as long as my USA Strat. The winner of the sustain contest was my Gibson SG.

Thanks for the info. Not sure if I want one that bright. I would like to have a mixture of brightness and growl. Then again I am pretty new at the PUP game.

My dad would always talk about retirement, and allude to the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. And I say all you've got at the end of the rainbow is death. You're riding the rainbow right now. - Mark Borchardt

ReplyQuote
(@vanzant38)
Reputable Member

if everything goes well on sat/sun i plan on getting the MF case (in black)
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Musicians-Friend-Deluxe-Electric-Guitar-Case?sku=540948

I have that case in Tweed. From the reviews on MF I would suggest not getting it in black. Several people said that the quality was not as good as the Tweed. But that is just what I read, I have no first hand knowledge of it.

The Tweed version is made pretty good, tho not as good as the case my Fender came in. One problem with it, and I've read that other people had this problem too. You have to put something in the case over the neck of the guitar to keep it stationary. I use a folded up T-Shirt. Its really no big deal, you need something to wipe down your guitar after practice anyway. My 1993 Strat stays in this case, haven't tried the 51 in it yet but it looks like an easy fit.

Heres the gig bag that holds my Blonde 51. $20
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Musicians-Friend-Elite-Series-Electric-Guitar-Gig-Bag?sku=545160

Tough on the outside but the foam is softer than I hoped. Still works fine.

My Sunburst 51 hangs on the wall, for easy access.

My dad would always talk about retirement, and allude to the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. And I say all you've got at the end of the rainbow is death. You're riding the rainbow right now. - Mark Borchardt

ReplyQuote
(@billybenbob)
Trusted Member

My vintage blonde arrived yesterday.
Proudly showing it to Mrs. billybenbob her comment was, "You got a yellow guitar?"
Sir Squire and I are now in intensive counseling and hoping to make a full recovery.

I wanted to learn to play guitar really badly and I think that I have succeeded.

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

vanzant38~ thanks for the info on the case, i will look them over carefully

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@duffmaster)
Noble Member

Personally I like the blonde. Its more of an eggnog then it is yellow anyways :)

Plus it matches my epi valve special :)

How many people here decided to set there guitars up themselves? I did, and it was the first guitar I ever set up, and it plays a bit better now that the action is a bit lower.

Who needs a signature?
I mean really...
It's almost always lyrics...
or a cliche...
or garbage about me...
Lets just save YOU from the pain, ok?

ReplyQuote
Page 22 / 51