Squier '51 roll-call

763 Posts
112 Users
0 Likes
133.8 K Views
(@steves)
Estimable Member

Bish,

I have been looking to get in on another jam but just kept missing open slots. Then on New Year's weekend, I trashed my hard drive - UGH! After spending an entire week with Microsoft Support (an oxymoron if ever there was one) and my company's tech support, I gave up and had to start from scratch. I spent all last weekend reinstalling programs and was fortunate to have recovered almost all my data. Unfortunately, I haven't had time to reinstall and test any recording software. I'm going to try to tackle that next weekend and then hopefully me and my new '51 will find a jam.

Steve

ReplyQuote
(@barryo)
Eminent Member

Been playing with my son's new black '51 over the weekend and thought I'd go back and order a blonde for myself, but it seems everyone is out of the blonde now. :( Should've done it Saturday when hubby told me to.
Sorry to hear you missed out. You never know, maybe another batch will become available.
I thought about the same thing after posting here last week and managed to get my order changed from Black to Blonde. It arrived today and we played it through my trusty old Mesa Boogie combo amp. We couldn't believe how good it sounded right out of the box. I thought about keeping it, but my father likes it, so that's that.
I placed another order for a Black one earlier this evening... can't wait to get a black pickguard and some tasty hardware for it.

ReplyQuote
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

Steve,

Sorry to hear about your PC woes. Been there myself. Never pretty. But good backups make the recovery less painful. :wink:

I'm still hosting jams on my thread if you want to join in. Matter of fact there are two players looking for two more to make a team.

Go grab a spot if you like.

Hey mmdm, buy a two tone and I'll trade you. :wink:

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

ReplyQuote
(@rocker)
Noble Member

ok, 90% of the reviews i've read about squiers, is you can't keep them in tune, do you guys have that problem? and its noy just the 51, its all squires

even god loves rock-n-roll

ReplyQuote
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

My '51 stays in tune. No different than my Deluxe or my PRS.

Bish

ReplyQuote
(@the-dali)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Rocker, I upgraded the tuners and bridge. I have a set of Wilkinson locking tuners and so far this thing stays in tune very well. In addition, I set the thing up and tweaked the truss rod a bit and the guitar intonated perfectly at the 12th fret.

-=- Steve

"If the moon were made of ribs, would you eat it?"

ReplyQuote
(@rocker)
Noble Member

now, the 51, that only has 1 pup right? and is strat style?

ReplyQuote
(@margaret)
Noble Member

now, the 51, that only has 1 pup right? and is strat style?
No, it has a single pickup at the neck, and a humbucker at the bridge. And a coil tap.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Squier-51-Electric-Guitar?sku=519636

In this photo, it's difficult to see the H pickup because it is black on the black body.

The style is kind of a hybrid between Strat and Tele. Contoured body of the Strat, headstock of the Tele.

Bish posted that the neck seems more Tele to him. I don't have a Tele, so can't really say, other than the neck is a hair narrower than my Hwy One Strat's.

Margaret

When my mind is free, you know a melody can move me
And when I'm feelin' blue, the guitar's comin' through to soothe me ~

ReplyQuote
(@rocker)
Noble Member

man, not sure if i can handle the pick gaurd, but 99 bucks, what can u say

ReplyQuote
(@coloradofenderbender)
Noble Member

Rocker:

I was unsure at first too. But, I ordered one just for the fun of it - hey, $99, the worst that can happen is I can use it to practice my amateur repair skills, right? So, I get it and at first I am not too impressed. But, I sit down in front of the tv to mess around with it and after an hour or so, I am hooked. It is SO easy to play, after I set it up and changed the strings. Tokk me a little while to get rid of some anoying buzz coming from the bridge saddles, but now things are perfect. My tuners hold just fine - stays in tune for days. I was planning on doing some modifications, but I honestly LOVE it as is. Not changing anything! The only thing I still need to do is to take care of the fret edges, which are a little rough!

ReplyQuote
(@urbancowgirl)
Reputable Member

The neck on it is very close to the neck on my Highway 1 tele.
I don't like the pickguard so much either but I got a black 51 so I will get a black guard for it so it isnt as noticeable.
Mine seems to stay in tune pretty well.

All my life I wanted to be somebody. Now I see I should have been more specific.

ReplyQuote
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

man, not sure if i can handle the pick gaurd, but 99 bucks, what can u say

Stop it. Just get one. 8)

Bish

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

people, just get one.
$99 for a guitar that plays like one costing at least twice as much.
all who miss this are going to wish they hadn't when Fender releases the non-squier version for $500 - $600

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@gunslinger)
Reputable Member

It's worth every penny. I've been playing it since last Thursday when it got here, and it plays just fine. I've had no tuning problems with it, and I've had it in standard and open E. The neck is great after a little treatment with some fine grain sandpaper. I'm pretty sure a black pickguard makes it play better, so get the vintage blonde ;)

Our songs also have the standard pop format: Verse, chorus, verse, chorus, solo, bad solo. All in all, I think we sound like The Knack and the Bay City Rollers being molested by Black Flag and Black Sabbath.

Kurt Cobain

ReplyQuote
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

I'm pretty sure a black pickguard makes it play better, so get the vintage blonde ;)

That's so true. Cuz even I can play one.

Bish

ReplyQuote
Page 28 / 51