Squier '51 roll-call

763 Posts
112 Users
0 Likes
133.6 K Views
 mmdm
(@mmdm)
Estimable Member

Greg you may find that a five dollar can of black krylon will work wonders on that pickgard I know it did for mine. Holds up pretty darn well to boot.

I picked up a can of Fusion spray paint this weekend to give that a try. It is made specially to bond to plastic, so I think it will work well.

ReplyQuote
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

I contacted guitar fetish about some control plates and whatnot for the 51 - got a reply saying they will have them mid-Feb. I'm thinking of totally replacing the "silver" hardware with gold/brass.

Let me know when that occurs. I'll join you.

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

ReplyQuote
 mmdm
(@mmdm)
Estimable Member

One of our local shops is still insisting that their black floor model 51 is $179.99. :roll:

ReplyQuote
(@gunslinger)
Reputable Member

That doesn't surprise me mmdm. It was $200 at my local shop, which is why I ordered online. I don't mind paying extra to keep the money local, but 2x is more than I'm willing to pay. Those small local shops are the heart and soul of music. However, they do not have the leverage that big places do and don't get the huge bulk discount.

Our songs also have the standard pop format: Verse, chorus, verse, chorus, solo, bad solo. All in all, I think we sound like The Knack and the Bay City Rollers being molested by Black Flag and Black Sabbath.

Kurt Cobain

ReplyQuote
 mmdm
(@mmdm)
Estimable Member

That doesn't surprise me mmdm. It was $200 at my local shop, which is why I ordered online. I don't mind paying extra to keep the money local, but 2x is more than I'm willing to pay. Those small local shops are the heart and soul of music. However, they do not have the leverage that big places do and don't get the huge bulk discount.

True, but this particular shop is part of a chain, and even the little independent shop here sold their last ones for $129.

ReplyQuote
(@redneckrocker)
Estimable Member

mmdm I haved used that Fusion spray paint before, painting computers, it is well worth the extra dollars.

I can't believe this thread has 37 pages, lol.

~Mike the Redneck Rocker.

"The only two things in life that make it worth living are guitars that tune good and firm feeling women" - Waylon

ReplyQuote
 mmdm
(@mmdm)
Estimable Member

mmdm I haved used that Fusion spray paint before, painting computers, it is well worth the extra dollars.

Good to know! Its been cold and rainy so I haven't gotten a chance to try it. Maybe I will use what's left to paint my Linux box while it's down.

ReplyQuote
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

One of our local shops is still insisting that their black floor model 51 is $179.99. :roll:

You might want to take a closer look at the one they have on the floor.

I noticed at my local shop they had more than one.

The more expensive one had a two piece fretboard/neck configuration. And it was smooth, not unfinished like the ones we have. I didn't take it down or play it as I was looking at other things at the time. So I don't know if there was any hardware or electronic differences.

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

ReplyQuote
(@donkee)

Maybe we can get it to, 51 pages? :lol:

ReplyQuote
(@dagwood)
Noble Member

Maybe we can get it to, 51 pages? :lol:

I vote that when it does we LOCK this thread... lol

Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing. - Wernher Von Braun (1912-1977)

ReplyQuote
(@smokindog)
Illustrious Member

Nope, this will go to about 102 pages :twisted: You cant stop a good thing in progress 8) Besides, We should be getting a lot of pics from 51 projects soon. I myself have a Brick red pick gaurd in progress and a "Smokindog" logo in the works :D --ken

My Youtube Page
http://www.youtube.com/user/smokindog
http://www.soundclick.com/smokindogandthebluezers

http://www.soundclick.com/guitarforumjams

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

And I've started both "performance" and appearance mods on one of mine.

So far, I've

* Put brass inserts in the neck and have switched from screws to bolts at the neck joint
* Drilled the bridge and body for through-body stringing. Still need to insert the ferrules.

also going to

* add a smaller MOTS pick guard and fill/paint/buff/polish the exposed screw holes
* replace the rotary with a LP toggle
* replace the neck pup with a P90
* change the nut and string trees
* paint the headstock and nitro the neck

pix later...

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@the-dali)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Hi guys... just found this article on the Modder's forum...

http://www.guitarplayer.com/story.asp?storyCode=4357

-=- Steve

"If the moon were made of ribs, would you eat it?"

ReplyQuote
(@kblake)
Reputable Member

Just took my Black '51 for a set up to my regular guy and he re-strung it with 11's (for a bit of slide) polished the fretboard,
inotation was only slightly out checked all the nuts and screws, but he was generally impressed with the quality of the guitar and the way it come from the factory...
Said he wished the were all that good..

Love this guitar, my poor ole Mexican Strat has not been out of the case in weeks...

Keith

I know a little bit about a lot of things, but not a lot about anything...
Looking for people to jam with in Sydney Oz.......

ReplyQuote
(@vanzant38)
Reputable Member

Love this guitar, my poor ole Mexican Strat has not been out of the case in weeks...

Keith

I feel your pain. My MIM is screaming at me through its case as I type this.

My dad would always talk about retirement, and allude to the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. And I say all you've got at the end of the rainbow is death. You're riding the rainbow right now. - Mark Borchardt

ReplyQuote
Page 37 / 51