Squier '51 roll-call

763 Posts
112 Users
0 Likes
133.7 K Views
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Thanks fellas,

Sure glad I found this forum, and this Thread. I have a question for someone who works with wood a little bit. The Question is = Does anyone know of any technique to get that Aged Maple look on the Neck? I'm not a real big fan of this (almost White) maple neck. I'd like to get that Old classic look if possible.

Two things I've heard are used to antique maple necks are Kiwi brown shoe polish, which supposedly works on poly finished necks, and gunstock oil. No personal experience with either, though I am thinking of tinting some Tru-Oil and using it to refinish one of these necks -- summer time work.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@madscience)
Eminent Member

Thanks fellas,

Sure glad I found this forum, and this Thread. I have a question for someone who works with wood a little bit. The Question is = Does anyone know of any technique to get that Aged Maple look on the Neck? I'm not a real big fan of this (almost White) maple neck. I'd like to get that Old classic look if possible.

Two things I've heard are used to antique maple necks are Kiwi brown shoe polish, which supposedly works on poly finished necks, and gunstock oil. No personal experience with either, though I am thinking of tinting some Tru-Oil and using it to refinish one of these necks -- summer time work.

Thanks My friend, I was actually thinking Gun stock oil might be good , but I don't have alot of experience in tinting or staining wood. Thanks, I'll ask a friend of mine about the gun stock oil he may be able to give me a definite answer on that. He's a gun freak, so he will probably know.

Fender 60th Anniversary Telecaster
Gretsch 5120
Ibanez Artcore AFS75T
Fender P Bass
Squire '51 Vintage Blond
Squire '51 Tangerine Orange, Dover White Pickguard
Squire '51 Sonic Blue, creme Pickguard, Dimarzio DP100 Humbucker
Takamine Acoustic

ReplyQuote
(@racetruck1)
Honorable Member

Thanks fellas,

Thanks My friend, I was actually thinking Gun stock oil might be good , but I don't have alot of experience in tinting or staining wood. Thanks, I'll ask a friend of mine about the gun stock oil he may be able to give me a definite answer on that. He's a gun freak, so he will probably know.

Oh Ricochet,... Ricochet,,,,Where are you Ricochey? :wink: :wink:

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming......
like the passengers in his car.

ReplyQuote
(@donkee)

I'll fill in for Ricochet till he gets here.

Gun freak, kind of rough don't you think??

I have an impressive collection of WWII rifles, S&W handguns (old K-Frames), and some nice semi-auto pistols (most are Browning Hi-Powers), about 45 or so total. I shoot a number of different types of rifle and handgun competetions. Ain't killed anyone yet and don't plan on it. Every gun freak I know would bend over backwards to help someone who needs it. Come to think of it, that is kind of freakish, or at least not the norm these days, ain't it...........

And, if I decide to work on the maple neck of my 51s, I'd use Behr tung oil in the baby blue can. You can't get it anymore :cry: , and it does a beautiful job on M1 Garand stocks. I have 1 quart left, and it's like gold for those that restore old guns. You may still find it somewhere, but the place I got it from said it's been discontinued for a while when I tried to order last time...........

ReplyQuote
(@kickinstonesblu)
Trusted Member

hello there guys,
i've been reading you for a while and finally decided to join in to respond to the wood question.
i'm not sure what the oil will do but i assume this neck is a finished laquer neck... if so the pores of the wood are sealed and won't except much of anything you just put on top of it. to get the color you want i'd not try and get creative. go to Ace and get some stain the color you want. Then mix it with some varnish... thin it and lightly sand the neck to degloss it. then glaze with the mixture.

If I don't remember it....It didn't happen

ReplyQuote
(@madscience)
Eminent Member

Gun freak, kind of rough don't you think??

No Disrespect intended, Actually It was meant as a compliment to my friend. Guess what I should have said was " Overly excited Arms collector". I myself have couple of 12 Guage Shotguns, Have a 38 Special, and the Crown Jewel a 1931 Russian Mosin Nagant 91/30.

Sorry if "Gun Freak offended anyone" It certainly wasn't meant to, If you knew me personally you would know that was a compliment. In my terminology any Object freak is actually another way of saying Expert.

Gretsch 5120
Ibanez Artcore AFS75T
Fender P Bass
Squire '51 Vintage Blond
Takamine Acoustic

ReplyQuote
(@smokindog)
Illustrious Member

I painted the dreaded pick guard a wine color, I think I'll paint the head stock the same color next time I change the strings. I think a P-90 would look good on this also :D

Edit: I just noticed That the pick guard closely matches my EVH :D

My Youtube Page
http://www.youtube.com/user/smokindog
http://www.soundclick.com/smokindogandthebluezers

http://www.soundclick.com/guitarforumjams

ReplyQuote
 vink
(@vink)
Prominent Member

You've sure got that baby cranked there! :twisted:

--vink
"Life is either an adventure or nothing" -- Helen Keller

ReplyQuote
(@smokindog)
Illustrious Member

You've sure got that baby cranked there! :twisted:

Yea I'm a big hit with the neighbors about 10 pm. :twisted: :twisted: :lol:

My Youtube Page
http://www.youtube.com/user/smokindog
http://www.soundclick.com/smokindogandthebluezers

http://www.soundclick.com/guitarforumjams

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Awe now that little box up top is an attenuator .... course thats cranked too ..... the neighbors like it that way! :twisted:

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@madscience)
Eminent Member

Well I decided I didnt like the bright white pickguard on my Sunburst 51. So I went to a local Sign makers shop here and bought a yard of Vinyl. I'd also suggest if any of you would like to change your pickguard this is a very easy way to do it. The yard of vinyl cost me like $2.50, and it's nothing more than putting on a strong bond sticker.

Heres a pic

Gretsch 5120
Ibanez Artcore AFS75T
Fender P Bass
Squire '51 Vintage Blond
Takamine Acoustic

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

I painted the dreaded pick guard a wine color, I think I'll paint the head stock the same color next time I change the strings. I think a P-90 would look good on this also :D

Already routed one of mine for a P90, converted the bridge to string through body and replaced the rotary switch with the LP toggle. When I get back in town, I'll have to finish it and post pix.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@gunslinger)
Reputable Member

I'm falling behind. All I've done is changed the knob for the switch to a chicken foot knob.

Our songs also have the standard pop format: Verse, chorus, verse, chorus, solo, bad solo. All in all, I think we sound like The Knack and the Bay City Rollers being molested by Black Flag and Black Sabbath.

Kurt Cobain

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

I'm falling behind. All I've done is changed the knob for the switch to a chicken foot knob.

Chicken head knob, maybe? If not, what's a chicken foot knob?

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Well I decided I didnt like the bright white pickguard on my Sunburst 51. So I went to a local Sign makers shop here and bought a yard of Vinyl. I'd also suggest if any of you would like to change your pickguard this is a very easy way to do it. The yard of vinyl cost me like $2.50, and it's nothing more than putting on a strong bond sticker.

Heres a pic

Looks good. Is it a faux lizard skin or a geometric pattern?

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
Page 39 / 51