Trusted Member

Finally!

http://store.guitarfetish.com/sq51cupi.html

I want to play guitar very badly -
and I do!

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

lol, loaves of bread and toilet tissue... those guys crack me up...

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@voodoo-child)

I have a sunburst. :D

ReplyQuote
(@homestar_kevin)
Eminent Member

Finally!

YESSSS!!! SOOO GOOD!!!!

I can't wait for someone to say something worth quoting here...

ReplyQuote
 jimh
(@jimh)
Estimable Member

I just ordered a honey-blond... 8) My wife is gonna kill me. And I'm blaming you guys!!!!

Well, I thought I did, but both Guitar Center and Musician's Friend show them as discontinued. Bummer. :cry:

Music is the universal language.

ReplyQuote
(@margaret)
Noble Member

Finally!

I'd like to put the black-white-black Deluxe Pickguard on my black '51.

The guitarfetish page linked above says I'd need to do some routing and hole filling, but what I want to know is this:

Will any of the holes left by the factory pickguard be exposed with the new pickguard, therefore requiring me to patch AND paint?? If that's the case, then it's no go for me.

And if they won't remain exposed, then why do we need to bother to fill them with toothpicks? Why can't they just stay holes if they are covered by the new pickguard?

Margaret

When my mind is free, you know a melody can move me
And when I'm feelin' blue, the guitar's comin' through to soothe me ~

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

I can't say for certain, but I would think it very unlikely that the old holes are going to be left exposed. The problem is generally that the old hole is 2mm or so off from new hole. Just boring a new hole leaves one that is twice the size that it should be. Filling the old hole will give the new screw something to hold onto .

The other reason to fill the holes is to stop the dreaded "bread-loaf and toilet roll weevil" from getting into your guitar innards and eating a few new "sound cavities" :lol: :lol: :lol:

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@margaret)
Noble Member

I can't say for certain, but I would think it very unlikely that the old holes are going to be left exposed. The problem is generally that the old hole is 2mm or so off from new hole. Just boring a new hole leaves one that is twice the size that it should be. Filling the old hole will give the new screw something to hold onto .

The other reason to fill the holes is to stop the dreaded "bread-loaf and toilet roll weevil" from getting into your guitar innards and eating a few new "sound cavities" :lol: :lol: :lol:
Thanks, Greybeard.

Are you serious, that bugs might get in there and munch on the wood?? :shock: If they can crawl under the pickguard, won't they just see the white glue (an organic substance?) as an appetizer? :twisted:

Margaret

ReplyQuote
(@dhutson)
Estimable Member

Why the recommendation for routing channels between the neck/bridge pickups and between the bridge pickup/control cavity with the Deluxe pickguard?

/Dwayne

http://www.soundclick.com/wayneroberts

ReplyQuote
(@margaret)
Noble Member

Why the recommendation for routing channels between the neck/bridge pickups and between the bridge pickup/control cavity with the Deluxe pickguard?

/Dwayne
Yeah, good question.

I wonder if the wiring is just laying against the body, smashed flat by the factory pickguard? Is that why they recommend routing a channel to lay the wiring into?

Sorry for my ignorance, but I've not done any real dismantling of a guitar before.

Margaret

ReplyQuote
(@denny)
Reputable Member

I just got one from Musicians Friend. I needed another guitar like a third eye, but I never was one to ignore a craze. They still have them in stock.

Denny

http://www.musiciansfriend.com

ReplyQuote
 jimh
(@jimh)
Estimable Member

I just got one from Musicians Friend. I needed another guitar like a third eye, but I never was one to ignore a craze. They still have them in stock.

Denny

http://www.musiciansfriend.com

Did the page say "discontinued" when you ordered?

ReplyQuote
 jimh
(@jimh)
Estimable Member

I just called Musician's Friend and they no longer have any Squier 51s in any color.

ReplyQuote
 jimh
(@jimh)
Estimable Member

Same answer at Guitar Center's national number. I am now trying the local Dallas area stores...

Ha!!!! My local store has 3 sunbursts and 2 black in stock. A sunburst is being held for me!!!

The guy just looked at the inventories nationwide and apparently there are no more vintage blondes to be had. Only black and sunburst.

ReplyQuote
 jimh
(@jimh)
Estimable Member

Got my sunburst today. looks pretty good to me. No noticable defects. I'll have a closer examination when I get it home. :D

ReplyQuote
Page 44 / 51