Clear all

Squier '51 roll-call

763 Posts
112 Users
0 Likes
133.7 K Views
(@robbie)
Honorable Member

Tried to search but couldn't find if this has already been covered. Any of you other 51 owners know what the origial strings were? Going to try a new nut and might as well restring at the same time, originals feel like maybe 9's. I have no buzz problems etc. so am going to use the same gauge strings again. Only problem seems to be in tuning it and wondered if the strings were sticking a bit in the nut. Going to try the graphite type.
Robbie

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Robbie, I've upgraded a lot to heavier strings. What I usually do is first simply "saw" the new larger strings back and forth in the nut slots a while, putting some pressure on the strings in the direction the tension on the string pulling it toward the tuner post makes it go (as there are corners the string tends to hang on) to loosen them up. Lots of things have been recommended to lubricate nut slots with. Something I've recently stumbled across that seems to work as well as any, better than many, is anhydrous lanolin. (Wool fat.)

Reason I bought it is that it's a popular ingredient in cast bullet lubricants, and it is widely used as a machinery lubricant and rust preventative, as well as in skin softening and protective preparations. Pretty versatile stuff.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@kevin72790)
Prominent Member

I use 10's on my Squier '51 and they work fine. They stay in tune (except for my low E string because I did an awful job changing that specific string).

ReplyQuote
(@jbeery)

Tried to search but couldn't find if this has already been covered. Any of you other 51 owners know what the origial strings were? Going to try a new nut and might as well restring at the same time, originals feel like maybe 9's. I have no buzz problems etc. so am going to use the same gauge strings again. Only problem seems to be in tuning it and wondered if the strings were sticking a bit in the nut. Going to try the graphite type.
Robbie
I think they were Fender 250's and were indeed 9's. I have been very happy with slinky 10s but thats just me.
Jim

ReplyQuote
(@robbie)
Honorable Member

You are correct they are Fender 250L strings 9's to 42's, did another search and found the specs on the Same Day Music site even though they state 51's are now discontinued. http://www.samedaymusic.com/browse--Guitars-Amps-and-Effects--2543 I may try a set of 10's when I restring looks like the last two responders are happy with theirs. Ricochet I appreciate the info on shaping the slots and the lube info
Robbie

ReplyQuote
(@musica23)
Reputable Member

For anyone who may be interested in acquiring a '51:

I noticed the last time I visited my local GC that they had four '51's (2 black, 2 sunburst) in boxes on the floor. I assume they're new and available. They're not listed on the online site, but they were physically at this location approximately a week ago:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/locations/store.cfm?store=331

Love and Peace or Else,
CC

ReplyQuote
(@coloradofenderbender)
Noble Member

Anybody who wants a blonde - mine is for sale. I never really even played it. It is in like-new condition. I guess I got caught up in the hype here! Darn all of you! :lol:

PM me & tell me what you are willing to pay. If I receive a PM, I will send a picture(s) of the guitar. Too lazy to take a few pictures, unless someone is seriously interested.

Come on, someone give this guitar a new home!

ReplyQuote
(@rocker)
Noble Member

fenderbender,

i'll give you 75 bucks for it, done deal?

even god loves rock-n-roll

ReplyQuote
(@coloradofenderbender)
Noble Member

Sorry Rocker. They are worth more than that. Ebay sales are higher than list price:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Fender-Squier-51-guitar-blonde_W0QQitemZ300102069175QQihZ020QQcategoryZ47070QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

ReplyQuote
(@rocker)
Noble Member

i totally understand 8)

even god loves rock-n-roll

ReplyQuote
(@duffmaster)
Noble Member

I found some squier's still on sale on the internet.

http://www.8thstreet.com/product.asp?ProductCode=24817&Category=Electric_Guitars

Who needs a signature?
I mean really...
It's almost always lyrics...
or a cliche...
or garbage about me...
Lets just save YOU from the pain, ok?

ReplyQuote
(@tjk0225)
Eminent Member

I had a chance to check out the Sam Ash store in San Antonio today and was surprised to see at least 2 dozen Squier 51's on their sales floor. Sunburst and Black, no blonde. I was surprised to see so many since I have only seen 1 at GC here in Austin.

Tom

ReplyQuote
(@ejwebb)
Trusted Member

Is this a good guitar for a beginner? If I purchase one online, can you suggest an inexpensive practice amp, bag and cord as well? Would I need to have my local shop do a professional setup or could I possibly do it myself.

I have been taking acoustic lessons for over a month but know that I eventually want to play electric and would like an inexpensive solution to get started. This sounds like a great little guitar given all the positive comment on it.

Thanks!!

ReplyQuote
(@duffmaster)
Noble Member

That guitar is great for beginners. I would recommend setup and strings out of the box, It would make playing even easier. If you've never set up a guitar before and arn't familiar with electrics I would get it done by a pro.

Who needs a signature?
I mean really...
It's almost always lyrics...
or a cliche...
or garbage about me...
Lets just save YOU from the pain, ok?

ReplyQuote
(@coloradofenderbender)
Noble Member

I still have an almost brand new blond, if anyone wants to buy it. Send me a PM. I understand blonds are no longer available. Nice guitar, but I got caught up in the hype on it and HAD to have a cool $99 guitar. But, it doesn't get played, since I spend my time with my LPs and Strat.

This guitar needs a home!

ReplyQuote
Page 48 / 51