Squier '51 roll-call

763 Posts
112 Users
0 Likes
133.7 K Views
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

Here ya go peeps....a couple pics of the 51.

Since getting home and performing some close up inspections and playing the crap out of it, here's some of my thoughts.

The frets will need dressing. .... :idea: I'm going to learn to dress frets. :D

The tones vary a lot so that is a good thing but the pups sound muffled compared to my other guitars.

I think the hardware is as good as you could expect. The tailpiece has all the necessary adjustment controls. It's lightweight. So it should be fun to gig with.

As it is, it's very playable. Not sure what I'd do for different strings. These seem to be fine for now.

In looking over the guitar, I wonder if it might not look cooler without the pick guard all together.

The neck is tele sweet but not slippery. Gotta look into that one.

I could see some different pups and a paint job and it would be a sweet guitar. As it is, I don't see a spot for it to fit into a song in it's current tone mode. But one never knows. I've only had it a few hours.

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

the pups sound muffled compared to my other guitars.

Interesting. Some people find the neck pup a bit anemic, but the bridge pup is often surprisingly robust and bright. I suggest playing with the pickup height. Easy enough for the bridge, but for the neck you'll need to take off the pg and put a spacer under the pup. Strip cut from a mouse pad works well, or some adhesive cork pads.

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@u2bono269)
Noble Member

i think the bridge pup is harsh and piercing

the neck pup, however, is raw and bluesy with a little roughness around the edges

the split single in the bridge is weak

im generally a neck pickup fan anyways

http://www.brianbetteridge.com

ReplyQuote
(@crank-n-jam)
Noble Member

Bish, how are the tuners? I've already got a new bridge, new tuners and new knobs (hey, they have black pearl inlays on them :)) in my cart on GuitarFetish.com and I'm looking for a black pearl pickguard. I haven't pulled the trigger because I'm waiting to check out the pickups. If I don't like them, I'll be adding those to the cart.

Overall, was it worth the $99. :D

Jason

"Rock And Roll Ain't Noise Pollution"

ReplyQuote
(@hudman)
Eminent Member

Bish, how are the tuners? I've already got a new bridge, new tuners and new knobs (hey, they have black pearl inlays on them :)) in my cart on GuitarFetish.com and I'm looking for a black pearl pickguard. I haven't pulled the trigger because I'm waiting to check out the pickups. If I don't like them, I'll be adding those to the cart.

Jason

LOL! My '51 is scheduled to be delivered tomorrow. I have a shopping cart opened on GuitarFetish.com too. I am debating on getting new pickups, a new bridge and Wilkinson locking tuners. I keep hearing that everyone loves the stock humbucker. I know I want to upgrade the neck pickup for sure (I played several '51's at Guitar Center and the neck pickup sounds a bit weak - IMO).

Opinions are appreciated.

Ed

ReplyQuote
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

Jason

I'm a newb. They feel accurate like my Tele's tuners. I have no complaints about the quality of hardware at all.

Anybody got a suggestion on where to buy the proper files for guitar maintenance?

Bish

ReplyQuote
(@hudman)
Eminent Member

Jason

I'm a newb. They feel accurate like my Tele's tuners. I have no complaints about the quality of hardware at all.

Anybody got a suggestion on where to buy the proper files for guitar maintenance?

Steward MacDonald has EVERYTHING: http://www.stewmac.com/

ReplyQuote
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

Steward MacDonald has EVERYTHING: http://www.stewmac.com/
So I C!!!

Ut oh on me....

Thanks for the link.

Bish

ReplyQuote
(@the-dali)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Ok folks... updated roll-call:

The Dali
Margaret
Bish
Wes
Slejhamer
Sdolsay
Duffmaster
U2Bono269
Banre
Crank'n'Jam
dhutson
Steeder
Baldwin
DennisF6
Hudman

Let me know if I missed anyone.

Hey Bish/Crank - I'll buy your black guard if you switch it out for something else.

-=- Steve

"If the moon were made of ribs, would you eat it?"

ReplyQuote
(@csmart01)
Estimable Member

Ok folks... updated roll-call:

The Dali
Margaret
Bish
Wes
Slejhamer
Sdolsay
Duffmaster
U2Bono269
Banre
Crank'n'Jam
dhutson
Steeder
Baldwin
DennisF6
Hudman

Let me know if I missed anyone.

Hey Bish/Crank - I'll buy your black guard if you switch it out for something else.
You missed me :wink:
I got my MF.com e-mail last night and see they have the '51 on sale for $99 with no shipping... they must be eavesdropping. :roll:

ReplyQuote
(@crank-n-jam)
Noble Member

I think you left off Nick. :)

Dali, I'm only going to replace mine if I can find a pearl black one. If I do, you are welcome to my guard.

Jason

"Rock And Roll Ain't Noise Pollution"

ReplyQuote
(@hiram)
Trusted Member

I have no need for this as I just got my Seagull S6+ and only been playing for 5 wks. BUT, once I got my new acoustic I started cranking on the old Yamaha (setup) and made it playable. I could set this in the closet(no amp) for 3-6 mos. pull it out and fix all the things that the reviews listed as sub par on it and learn all the basics of an electric while not worrying about destroying a good axe. Enough! someone give me justification for ordering this.

ReplyQuote
(@the-dali)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Sounds like you just justified it!

Ok... updated again!

The Dali
Margaret
Bish
Wes
Slejhamer
Sdolsay
Duffmaster
U2Bono269
Banre
Crank'n'Jam
dhutson
Steeder
Baldwin
DennisF6
Hudman
Nick
CSmart01

-=- Steve

ReplyQuote
(@the-dali)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

I think you left off Nick. :)

Dali, I'm only going to replace mine if I can find a pearl black one. If I do, you are welcome to my guard.

Jason

I just checked eBay for a black pickguard... there are some out there, starting at $28 and going up!! Jeez, if I want one badly enough I'll just buy another '51 at $99 just for the guard before I spend $30!

-=- Steve

ReplyQuote
(@dagwood)
Noble Member

Sounds like you just justified it!

Ok... updated again!

The Dali
Margaret
Bish
Wes
Slejhamer
Sdolsay
Duffmaster
U2Bono269
Banre
Crank'n'Jam
dhutson
Steeder
Baldwin
DennisF6
Hudman
Nick
CSmart01
Add me too :)
Dagwood

Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing. - Wernher Von Braun (1912-1977)

ReplyQuote
Page 5 / 51