Clear all

Squier '51

51 Posts
21 Users
0 Likes
(@the-dali)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Wes - I appreciate the website reference. A friend of mine used them to create a pearloid guard for his MIJ strat (sweet guitar - surf green with a Kahler).

Great site, but I don't think I'll be spending $40 on a pickguard for my $99 guitar!

-=- Steve

"If the moon were made of ribs, would you eat it?"

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

At that price, what the hell have you got to lose?

Try it. if you don't like it, hell at that price you could make shelves out of it and wouldn't miss the money - looks like a steal to me! I'd get a couple, but it'd probably cost me more for shipping.......

Grab 'em while you can, hell, you can always do a Keef and tune 'em to open G......

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@banre)
Reputable Member

I got a '51 earlier this year. $99 at the GC. Incredible guitar for the money. I want to get a new bridge and will eventually. For now it works fine, though.

Everyone is mentioning the pickguard. I have a black finish with the white pickguard. I wanted something different, so I made a pickguard out of some wood and finished it.

Unseen Evidence
UE Reverb Nation Page

ReplyQuote
(@off-he-goes)
Noble Member

I'm certainly going to check out some local stores, see if there are some around. I'd love to get my hands on one.

Vacate is the word...Vengance has no place on me or her...Cannot find a comfort in this world.

ReplyQuote
(@u2bono269)
Noble Member

jeeez everyone's buying these babies up and ive had mine for almost 2 years now!!

seriously though, buy them up, they're great. i cant say that enough.

http://www.brianbetteridge.com

ReplyQuote
(@margaret)
Noble Member

Banre, that pickguard is pretty neat.

I ordered a black one with the plain vanilla pickguard.

Margaret

When my mind is free, you know a melody can move me
And when I'm feelin' blue, the guitar's comin' through to soothe me ~

ReplyQuote
(@rahul)
Famed Member

Jeez, this Squier is soon going to be out of stock, courtsey GN'ers...Now GC/MF is making some hot sales.

ReplyQuote
(@vanzant38)
Reputable Member

What a deal! I was recently looking at this guitar and decided against it. Now it seems that somebody up there wants me to have this guitar. I have too many guitars now, but but but....

I am confused?!

Any advise.

My dad would always talk about retirement, and allude to the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. And I say all you've got at the end of the rainbow is death. You're riding the rainbow right now. - Mark Borchardt

ReplyQuote
(@margaret)
Noble Member

vanzant38 wrote: What a deal! I was recently looking at this guitar and decided against it. Now it seems that somebody up there wants me to have this guitar. I have too many guitars now, but but but....

I am confused?!

Any advise.

LMAO! If you want to be talked out of getting a 51, you are in the wrong dang place. Just do it and get it over with.

We need to get a tally of how many of us GN'ers have bought or ordered these things. It's hilarious.

Margaret

ReplyQuote
(@sdolsay)
Reputable Member

One good thing we will be able to get a good look at how Squier's quality control is with everyone buying these things, should be interesting :)

Scott

I havn't found my tone yet, and I have no mojo....but I'm working on it :)

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

Very good point! I'll wait and see how you guinea pigs.......er...... I mean people make out. :roll:

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

One good thing we will be able to get a good look at how Squier's quality control is with everyone buying these things, should be interesting :)

Squier QC = Cort's Indonesian factory QC, since Cort is the maker. But that's an item for another thread.

Anticipate the following:

The fret ends will be quite sharp and will stick out past the edge of the fretboard

The saddle screws will be loose in the saddles and will rattle. Invest in a tube of Loctite.

Every single screw, including the neck plate, and the tuners, will be loose and require tightening

The pickguard screw holes will be stripped

Basic setup required: relief, action, intonation, etc. Bridge pickup may need height adjustment. Neck pickup may too, but it's not a quick fix (no height adjustment screws.)

The strings that come with it will be the worst you've ever played. Not "in my opinion" either. Just bad.

If you're planning to do any electrical mods, you'll get a kick out of the quality soldering work under the control plate.

Anyway, all minor stuff, but mine had every single one of the above "issues." If you have only some or none of them, then congrats! :)

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@margaret)
Noble Member

Well, Slej, you're just a bundle of good news, aren't you? :P :lol:

We should each take a photo of ourselves with the new acquisitions and combine them into a virtual collage of 51's.

Hey we could send them as Christmas cards. :twisted:

Margaret

ReplyQuote
(@sdolsay)
Reputable Member

Slej,

I was looking at the 51mods website and saw your handle posting pics of that 51 Belair modded 51, was that you? if so I am amazed at what you did with that guitar and have no doubt you know what your talking about on these things :)

Scott

I havn't found my tone yet, and I have no mojo....but I'm working on it :)

ReplyQuote
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

Banre,

That is one sweet pickguard.

Nice work, bud.

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 4