srv raking technique for ryhthm playing

4 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@almann1979)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

http://www.indyarocks.com/videos/SRV-Rake-Technique-988128

Im having trouble getting this down, the link above is probably the best video lesson i could find, but i still find it difficult to mute all the strings other than just the one i am fretting.

It isnt a problem for single notes, i can whale out on a single note all day long, but when i want to apply this practically and play a riff with this technique, and am constantly and quickly changing the string/fret i want to ring out, it falls apart like a rice paper coffe mug :oops:

has anybody who is fluent with this got any advice that i might find useful?

Thanks, AL

"I like to play that guitar. I have to stare at it while I'm playing it because I'm not very good at playing it."
Noel Gallagher (who took the words right out of my mouth)

(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

when I play that I sweep the strings and palm mute at the same time. I don't up stroke, finding the down stroke more effective.
simply form a chord and sweep or rake, actually an arpeggio , and with that picking hand damp the strings. the rest is timing.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@almann1979)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

thanks dogbite - i can see that would work for getting an entirely percussive sound, but what i am after is raking all 6 strings, but having one of the notes ring out, and to be able to manipulate my muting to alter which note/string it is as i play, a bit like some funk/ska players might do?

"I like to play that guitar. I have to stare at it while I'm playing it because I'm not very good at playing it."
Noel Gallagher (who took the words right out of my mouth)

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

I tried doing what the guy was doing in the lesson. I can do it, but not my style. I love how the guy says learning it will make your playing better. No, it will make your playing sound more like Stevie Ray. :lol: Wich I suppose to him is better. I think it is just a matter of practice and feel. For me muting is very natural as I have been doing it forever. I have always liked the harder stuff, distorted and at volume so muting is a way of life. I also use a lot of percussive sounds to keep my rhythm as I have for the most part lacked a drummer. (Except for a few all too brief periods) Another thought too is Stevie used very heavy strings and I think this sound will be easier to achieve with them as it takes more pressure to over mute the string and have the note ring out when you don't want it to.

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote