Clear all

SRV

44 Posts
24 Users
0 Likes
(@nathan1709)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

I've recently discovered the joy of Stevie Ray Vaughan! someone told me that he tuned his guitar down to Eb, is this true? Also can anyone recommend some of his stuff that i should listen to!

"This is a public service announcement.....with guitars"

(@twistedfingers)
Honorable Member

Yep SRV commonly tuned to Eb.

Texas Flood-His debut. Some say his best stuff.

Live at Montreaux 1982-1985

In Session-SRV playing with his hero Albert King

And if you want to hear him doing something completely different and really understand that he could play more than blues get ahold of David Bowie's Let's Dance album.

SRV did the biggest share of the guitar work on that album and was slated to tour with Bowie. He chose not to tour with Bowie and Texas Flood was released shortly thereafter.

That will at least get you started. :D

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- "WOW--What a Ride!"

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

-Life By The Drop - My favorite song, which is off the Sky is Crying CD. The whole CD is great.

-Live at Carnege(spelling?) Hall

If you can, buy as many of his DVD's as possable. You CAN learn a lot from them.

ReplyQuote
(@rollnrock89)
Reputable Member

Live at the El Mocambo, highly recommend, awesome performance. Some of the best camera work I've seen on a dvd, its not changing views every 5 seconds. You actaully get to see most of his playing.

The first time I heard a Beatles song was "Let It Be." Some little kid was singing along with it: "Let it pee, let it pee" and pretending he was taking a leak. Hey, that's what happened, OK?-some guy

ReplyQuote
(@cyranodb)
Estimable Member

Flat tuning the guitar like that gave it a more deeper bluesy sound. It's common among many rock guitarist to flat tune the guitar. The El Mocambo DVD is a great dvd. Own a copy myself. Such a loss that SRV is not with us. I was not able to discover his music until after he was gone and was never able to see him live but at least his music is still here.

"I use heavy strings, tune low, play hard and floor it. Floor it, that's a technical term." - SRV

ReplyQuote
(@rodya-s-thompson)
Estimable Member

And if you like SRV, you're definitely going to want to check out Los Lonely Boys as soon as possible.

As far as I'm concerned, Henry Garza is the next great step in blues rock (he was heavily influenced by SRV, you can definitely hear that in some of the LLB songs - Just listen to Pride and Joy by SRV and then Crazy Dream by Los Lonely Boys!) and one of the greatest living influences on my guitar playing.

Stevie may be dead and gone, but thanks to people like us and Henry Garza, his legacy (and that of the musicians who influenced him) will live on!

(also, both Los Lonely Boys and SRV have a great Live at Austin DVD - SRV has some serious fretboard pyrotechnics, and LLB is just a great time the whole way through!)

Henry Garza, Saul Hudson, and Darrell Abbott could not be here tonight, but they all had sex and are proud to announce the birth of their two-headed baby, Rodya S. Thompson.

- Paraphrased from the Tenacious D series

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

Many popular bands and guitar players tune their guitars down a half step. Sometimes this is done to accommodate a singer. Other guitarists tune down to get a deeper/heavier sound. Some guitarist have more than one guitar on stage, one is sometimes tuned to Eb.

Generally SRV used these size strings .013, .015-.016, .019, .028, .038, and .056-.060.

SRV Guitars

SRV Equipment

Joe

ReplyQuote
(@metaellihead)
Honorable Member

And if you like SRV, you're definitely going to want to check out Los Lonely Boys as soon as possible.

As far as I'm concerned, Henry Garza is the next great step in blues rock (he was heavily influenced by SRV, you can definitely hear that in some of the LLB songs - Just listen to Pride and Joy by SRV and then Crazy Dream by Los Lonely Boys!) and one of the greatest living influences on my guitar playing.

I love them! Henry Garza is a damn fine guitarist. Not only he, but both of his brothers can sing too. Overall it's a great mix of Mexican and blues influences, it's fresh and interesting.

-Metaellihead

ReplyQuote
(@dcarroll)
Reputable Member

Get Live at the El Mocambo ASAP, you wont believe how much of his heart and soul he puts into his music. It will change the way you look at the guitar.

-dustin

I've been imitated so well I've heard people copy my mistakes.
- Jimi Hendrix

ReplyQuote
(@cyranodb)
Estimable Member

Look at his face and you can tell SRV played...with feelin' 8)

"I use heavy strings, tune low, play hard and floor it. Floor it, that's a technical term." - SRV

ReplyQuote
(@yoyo286)
Noble Member

Too bad one of the members(LLB) got caught with pot, and is being investigated with sexual assault.. :? . But, in my opionin,(I havent lisened to that much of abert king :oops: ) SRV was the most agressive, best, guitar player out there for playing guitar. hendrix was great, but he wasnt a aggresive as SRV. And i got to meet the guy who sold SRV his guitar! He's a nice guy, and he has a nice shop too.

Stairway to Freebird!

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

Hendrix was SRV's idle.

ReplyQuote
(@e-sherman)
Reputable Member

So? It's quite possible to surpass your idol. In fact, I belive that's how inovation takes place, in any area. You look and study what is done before, and try to do it better.

The king of rock, some say lives
the lizard king, is surely dead
the king of France, lost his head
the King of Kings... bled
( email me at esherman@wideopenwest.(com). I almost never check my hotmailaccount.

ReplyQuote
(@yoyo286)
Noble Member

^ I know, he did covers of many Hendrix songs, such as little wing. But, I think in pure guitar playing, not in innovation (as Hendrix was best at that) SRV was a tad bit better. Hendrix is one of the greatest, or mabye the greatest, person that did things with the guitar in my opinion. I'm talking about sheer guitar PLAYING, not music.

Stairway to Freebird!

ReplyQuote
(@yoyo286)
Noble Member

I'm not trying to take ANYTHING from Hendrix, he was the greatest in pure melody and harmony. Actually, i think SRV didn't do anything extremly innovative, he was just an awesome guitar player, plain and simple. HENDRIX AND SRV RULE!!!(and many other great rockers)

Stairway to Freebird!

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 3