Clear all

SRV

44 Posts
24 Users
0 Likes
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

So? It's quite possible to surpass your idol. In fact, I belive that's how inovation takes place, in any area. You look and study what is done before, and try to do it better.

Well said. I just wanted to point out yoyo that SRV looked up to Hendrix. Like you said, you "improve" on what you hear.

If you ask "me" SRV blows Hendrix out of the water. Thats MY opinion(and yeah, I know we have a section for opinions). Flame me if you want, I could care less! In the end they were BOTH great guitarists. I just happen to like one more than the other.

To me, SRV was cleaner and had better technique.

ReplyQuote
(@cmaracz)
Reputable Member

You can at artists on several levels because there are several levels to the creation of music. Mainly the composition, arrangement, and playng. SRV was, although I am not too familiar with him, considered a great player. Hendrix was as well, but he is known mostly for his creation of music than the playing style he chose. You can't really judge who's better if each is known for one or the other.

In an extreme case example it'd be like trying to determine who's better: Artist A who writes the most pleasant and innovative melodies but constantly makes mistakes playing and can't keep time right; or Player B who has the best vibrato you've ever seen, never makes a mistake, always sounds every note clearly, taps using two hands very fast, whatever. They're two different things.

Just like in art, where you have the inspiration and the actual creation of it. You get two painters to paint the same model, an apple in a bowl. One tries to paint this greta image he has in his head, emphasizing the shadows and everything in such a balanced and atmospheric way that just would make you gasp....if he had done it right. But no the colours bleed into each other, etc. The other paints a dull boring picture, lame colours, but makes his vision come alive perfectly on to the cnvas. Who is the better artist?

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

Who is the better artist?

SRV!!! :P

Sorry couldn't resist.

ReplyQuote
(@shan65)
Eminent Member

SRV is probably my biggest motivator for playing the guitar. Anytime I dont feel like practicing I throw in one of his dvds and that is all it takes. Amazing player. Actually got his boxed set for christmas. It is very cool. Lots of live stuff and a dvd with a few songs from his performance at Austin City limits in 1989.

ReplyQuote
(@steve-0)
Noble Member

It's hard to say really, they both had such a similar style but I'd probably have to say SRV because i like his versions of Little wing and Voodoo Chile more then Hendrix's...

Steve-0

ReplyQuote
(@dcarroll)
Reputable Member

I think SRV playing is cleaner and a bit more polished...however,

Think of how many wonderfull songs Hendrix composed and wrote lyrics for. His lyrics were so imaginative and creative and his music was so innovative. He also pioneered the use of effects and deliberate distortion / feedback.

SRV has great songs too, but I think his songs are far simplier and more of a texas shuffle / blues based songs. His emotional playing and voice were top notch.

Basically I feel that Hendrix was the complete package as a player / songwriter.

-Dustin

I've been imitated so well I've heard people copy my mistakes.
- Jimi Hendrix

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

In the end, if they were both alive today..... They would both say that the other were a great guitarist.

And let's not forget, they were both EXTREMELY modest musicians.

That's why I'll listen to both of them over a Vai or Halen any day of the week!

ReplyQuote
(@dcarroll)
Reputable Member

Yeah, I love how humble both of them were. I love that interview where he is told he is thought of as the best guitar player in the world. He replies with, "well, maybe the best in the room." Such a class act!

-Dustin

I've been imitated so well I've heard people copy my mistakes.
- Jimi Hendrix

ReplyQuote
(@undercat)
Prominent Member

Yeah, I love how humble both of them were. I love that interview where he is told he is thought of as the best guitar player in the world. He replies with, "well, maybe the best in the room." Such a class act!

That's always incredible: when someone has been doing something at such a high level, met with phenomenal success, broken every barrier, and can still sit back and say "Yeah, I still have lots to learn".

Do something you love and you'll never work a day in your life...

ReplyQuote
(@nathan1709)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Can anyone give me some tips on how to emulate his (SRV's) sound, set up wise. I know he used a strat with .13's tuned to Eb, what about the amp / effects he used?

"This is a public service announcement.....with guitars"

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

Here is a good article on his Tone.

ReplyQuote
(@scrogdog)
Estimable Member

Many years ago, I got to see a dream double bill of SRV and Beck in Rhode Island. How cool is that?

My brother fell asleep! Boy does he take crap for that! :)

ReplyQuote
(@metaellihead)
Honorable Member

I'ed have to agree, SRV is a better player. Hendrix DID have consistiency problems when playing live, and he was more wandering and undirected in his improv. He took a lot of big risks in his playing and it somtimes shows. And we're all forgetting that SRV could sing well, too. I think that was one of Jimi's weak points.

Hendrix still rocks, and he's a damn good player. Not really taking anything away from him, I just think SRV is better. Especially after seeing them both play live with some recent DVD purchases.

-Metaellihead

ReplyQuote
(@e-sherman)
Reputable Member

Scrigdig, is that Beck, or Jeff Beck?

The king of rock, some say lives
the lizard king, is surely dead
the king of France, lost his head
the King of Kings... bled
( email me at esherman@wideopenwest.(com). I almost never check my hotmailaccount.

ReplyQuote
(@scrogdog)
Estimable Member

Jeff Beck and SRV. What a night! :)

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 3