Clear all

Stacy's mom has got it goin' on!

14 Posts
10 Users
0 Likes
(@blackswan)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Okay, I have a reason for posting this, I promise...but I'll come back soon. (it's not really about the song or the chords or anything, I just thought I might post that because it's interesting...haven't you all heard this song? Also because there's a lack of new topics around here, so...but also because I have something I need to ask, just later...)

And just so you know, I did this all from memory!! (applause, please  ;))

[intro]
Stacy's mom has got it goin' on...
Stacy's mom has got it goin' on...

[verse 1]
Stacy can I come over after schoool (after school)
we can hang out around by the pooool (hang by the pool)
Did your mom get back from her business tripppp (business trip)
is she there, or is she trying give me the sliip (give me the slip)

[pre-chorus]
you know I'm not the little boy that I used to be
I'm all grown up now, baby can't you see!

[chorus]
Stacy's mom has got it goin' on
She's all I want  and I waited so long,
Stacy can't you see, you're just not the girl for me
I know it might be wrong but,
I'm in love with Stacy's mom...

[intro]

[verse 2]
Stacy do you remember when I mowed your lawn (mowed your lawn)
Your mom came out...with just a towel, oooonn (towel on)
I could tell she liked me by the way she stared...(the way she stared)
and the way she said, you missed a spot over there...(spot over there)

[pre-chorus]
I know you think that it's just a fantasy,
but since your dad walked out your mom could use a guy like me...

[chorus]
She's all I want  and I waited so long,
Stacy can't you see, you're just not the girl for me
I know it might be wrong but,
I'm in love with Stacy's mom...

[guitar solo]

[chorus x2]

-Laura

(@blackswan)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Okay, I'm back...and I guess it just feels like I'm doing things really slow...and this is really from another post I saw at the beginner's Q&A forum asking to rate his progress, so now I feel like I haven't done enough...

So, here's what I've done in six months of lessons on a classical guitar:

chromatic and c major scale all above the fifth fret (including the notes names)

major chords, E, A, G, C, D, Em, E7 Am, A7, D sus2, D sus 4, D7

strumming patterns, mainly the down down up strokes, and the boom strum strum.

finger picking/ arpeggios

and right now working on reading music...

I really feel like I haven't done enough and need to learn more stuff...or am I worried for no apparent reason?  ???

Also, classical music isn't really what I want to play, but that's basically what I'm doing since that's the guitar I have. That's just a random thought...well, thank you all for any input you might have.

Laura

ReplyQuote
(@davidhodge)

You've actually done a lot in six months! Brava!   ;)

If you don't mind me asking, what kind of music do you want to play. Just because you have a classical guitar doesn't mean that you are limited to playing only classical music.

A lot of our beginners' and interemediate song lessons sound terrific on classical guitars.

Peace

ReplyQuote
(@estambre)
Estimable Member

I wish some of the site dealt with songs as those by Fountains of Wayne.

It's great as it is anyway, but like you (and probably most) I'm learning stuff as a platform to play different stuff.

I think it's the only way. And no matter how good the songs here at GN are, the song-lessons are the best you are going to find. Full STOP.

Good luck

ReplyQuote
(@olive)
Estimable Member

I've been playing seriously now for about 2 years...I still feel like I have a ton to learn and that I'm not getting anywhere!  I think there is so much to learn on the guitar and so many different styles of music to get into...not to mention trying to find your own style...that everyone feels a bit behind in their progress.  Keep up the good work...I promise you're getting better.  :D

Olive

"My ex-boyfriend can't tell me I've sold out, because he's in a cult, and he's not allowed to talk to me." --Dar Williams

ReplyQuote
(@blackswan)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

You've actually done a lot in six months! Brava!   ;)

If you don't mind me asking, what kind of music do you want to play. Just because you have a classical guitar doesn't mean that you are limited to playing only classical music.

A lot of our beginners' and interemediate song lessons sound terrific on classical guitars.

Peace

I want to play mainly rock, pop stuff (like Stacy's mom, maybe...) Coldplay, Blink 182 and the like-- but I've got no problem with playing other stuff as well. Just not completely classical, is what I mean...

And everyone else seems right about getting "there", it's just gonna take a while (right, a while ;)) Thanks all!

best,
Laura

ReplyQuote
(@danlasley)
Noble Member

As discussed on another post, there is no "there".  The biggest obstacle to playing music is not our lack of ability, but our unwillingness to be embarassed by our imperfections.  As you pointed out, you like to play Rock and Roll, which means that perfection is not required, and can actually be a negative.

If you can play those 10+ chords, you are 7 over the minimum required to play the blues.

It's like climbing a mountian.  If the summit is 20,000 feet, and you only make it up to 18,000, are you really a failure?  I don't think so.  Turn around a look at how far you've come.

So get out there and play!  You're farther along than you think.

-Laz

ReplyQuote
(@97reb)
Noble Member

And when you seem to be travelling on a plateau and not moving up, you have to keep travelling on, keep working it and every once and a while take a rest.  There will come a time when you find you are ascending once again.  Bon Voyage.

It is a small world for metal fanatics. I welcome you fellow musicians, especially the metalheads!

ReplyQuote
(@blackswan)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Thanks, guys! And I'm not aiming for perfection anyway...I mean, it'd be nice to be this really famous guitarist who's so great at playing that practically everyone worships, but I'm happy enough just being able to hear a song, play it, write my own songs, jam with friends and perform some stuff at small places. But then again, no one is perfect, no one (not even god, as some people choose to believe...no offense, of course), and you're all right.   :D  

-Laura

ReplyQuote
(@blutic1)
Reputable Member

You seem to be in the same mind-set that I had when I first started playing.  I started taking lessons: learned many chords, scales, picking patterns, etc.  I wanted to play metal, but I was thinking that all this stuff would be a basis to learn what I really wanted.  The problem was that I did not learn complete songs.  I could have.  I was good enough to learn pieces from many many songs.  I certainly could have learned some simple 3 or 4 chord songs, but instead I kept learning new techiques ie new scales, arpeggios, etc. thinking that it was more important to build my knowledge than to mess with learning a really simple song.  15 years later I realize you truly should do both.  You should learn a new scale pattern every week, or a new chord every week, etc. but you should also start learning many many simple songs (all the way through)  (repeat - all the way through).  Then you can sit and play.  I said play, not learn, but just play.  If you sit and actually play for a couple of hours (without trying to learn anything new) you get a great feeling of accomplishment and motivation, which ironically makes you want to learn more.

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

stacys mum sounds hot! she free on saturdays?

i dont understand the music, but man, great work!

Chalmodo  ;D

ReplyQuote
(@cynthia)

Try "Valley Winter Song" off the same album.  You'll need a capo, though.  Also, "Bright Future in Sales".  The good thing about Fountains of Wayne is their songs are pretty straightforward.

Best of luck!

ReplyQuote
(@97reb)
Noble Member

yeah, blutic1 is right on about that playing songs all the way thru and keep on playing them.  In addition, the other stuff learning is important, IMO.  Hey, BlackSwan, branch out a little, girl.  It's only rock and roll, keep an open mind for some older stuff and other current genres.  I would suggest going to UltimateMetal.com for a little dose of heaviness.  As far as the pop side goes, I'm sure you know what you like.  Try some jazz and classical, I know you think it is boring, but there is some really emotional and strong stuff out there. I'll give you a list if you want.  Or some others can suggest their faves in those genres.  Keep an open mind, bg.

It is a small world for metal fanatics. I welcome you fellow musicians, especially the metalheads!

ReplyQuote
(@rollnrocker)

this song is the worst. talk about one hit wonders

ReplyQuote