Skip to content
Stairway To Heaven:...

Notifications
Clear all

Stairway To Heaven: Is it Humanly Possible?

51 Posts
24 Users
0 Likes
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Mike: I didn't merely read it, I played it. And while I do have fairly big hands I am not nearly as flexible as some guitarists around here. Note that you do not need a full barre for the riff. If I keep my guitar in a proper position I can play the required barre and hit the 10th fret 1st string. For the record, I do play electric here.

If you are unused to this kind of stretch, just keep practicing. It's just a matter of trying hard enough long enough. Make sure your hand is positioned correctly, the guitar is held at a proper angel and you're sitting comfortably. Trust me, soon you'll be wondering what the hard part about this riff was.

edit: you've been playing for just a few weeks? Amazing you have no difficulties elsewhere! I can imagine this being a pain for you. Keep on trying. If you manage to nail this in a few weeks you've had a truly superfast start!

ReplyQuote
(@jasoncolucci)
Reputable Member

I assure you, in a few months...maybe a little more, you'll look back at this post and say "those stretches are easy." It never fails :D For an example, right now I'm playing Austurias on my classical, and although there are other ways of playing it, I elect to play part of it that requires a stretch from the 2nd strings 7th fret to the 5th string 3rd fret...and this is on a classical. A year ago if you showed me the music I would've called you a maniac.

Guitarin' isn't a job, so don't make it one.

ReplyQuote
(@stormymonday)
Reputable Member

not in jeff beck and eric clamptons league...and
clampton ever writting songs that are even close to what page has done, just my opion.

I agree. Eric Clampton never did anything for me. Eric Clapton, on the other hand, is a pretty solid guitarist. :wink:

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

edit: you've been playing for just a few weeks? Amazing you have no difficulties elsewhere! I can imagine this being a pain for you. Keep on trying. If you manage to nail this in a few weeks you've had a truly superfast start!

Thanks for the support and BELIEVE me I have my difficulties in MANY areas. I know eventually I'll hit the wall and my progress will hault. However I do know I have to spend more time with technique and less with songs...

Also I apologize to the forum for taking my frustration out here. Actually, my frustration had absolutely NOTHING to do with the guitar. It was just one of those overall bad days. It DEFINITELY wasn't a time to try a song as of this caliber!

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Mike, have you tried the tab here....

https://www.guitarnoise.com/led_zeppelin/led_zeppelin_4/stairway_to_heaven_tab.txt

Seems pretty much spot on to me....

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

I don't play it that way. Maybe that's why.

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Mike, I don't think you can practice songs you like without practicing technique. For example, with Stairway To Heaven you are practicing appergiating barre-chords. Ofcourse you could practice it by playing some other chords but this way is much more fun. I myself try to find songs that contain the technique I need to work on to keep myself motivated. Nothing wrong with having fun while practicing!

Vic, isn't that pretty much the tab he used? :D

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

Vic, isn't that pretty much the tab he used? :D

Actually from what I read on this site he does mention he adds a few notes and he said he used the D/F# chord instead of the open D....

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

The two tabs look very similar indeed...jus a bit of "fine tweaking" here and there....

I originally learned this by playing along with it from a tape, I wasn't spot on...for instance, I used an Am at the nut for the first chord....

But after I joined GN, I fond the tab I posted the link to and learned it properly...took me a while, but I got there....trouble was, by the time I'd learned it, I was so sick of the bloody song I don't think I've played it since...and I LOVE to play along with the radio...especially Planet Rock, where Stairway gets played at least once a day....

Maybe now I've had a break from it, I may just come to appreciate the song all over again....

Anyway, good luck to you, Mike, I hope you get it nailed...nice to see you set your sights fairly high....when I was just starting out, the summit of my ambitions was to be able to play "House of the Rising Sun" all the way through with the arpeggiated chords, and to be able to sing it at the same time....took me a while, but persistence, a little encouragement (from my mum, funnily enough, who hated me playing guitar!) and in the end, sheer bloody-mindedness and determination got me there....

Stick at it mate....tell yourself "I WILL DO IT! I WILL GET THERE!!!!"

Just don't go playing it in a guitar shop......

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

I haven't done the tune in a while, but back when I learned it off vinyl by ear I figured out exactly the fingering you'd shown.

The 5th fret barre with the 8th fret 1st string added is simply a barred G form chord - and you'll do it all the time (maybe not ALL the time, but frequently). For instance, I start the riff from 10000 Maniacs "These Are Days" with that chord form - two frets up in 7th position.

Your index finger probably needs to be a little 'flatter' to make the fingering. Keep your elbow away from your side, peghead up, and maybe shift the neck a little bit 'out' from your shoulder.

This is NOT a stretch on the guitar, by the way - position play gives each finger one fret, so in 5th position the 8th fret is where your little finger will naturally go... when you need to stretch, it'll go to 9 or 10.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

This is NOT a stretch on the guitar, by the way - position play gives each finger one fret, so in 5th position the 8th fret is where your little finger will naturally go... when you need to stretch, it'll go to 9 or 10.

I have never been into sadomasochism but I guess if I want to be good at guitar I'll have start! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

So, Note, when I get your book is there a chapter on self torture or is that going to be in volume 2 :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: !!!

EDIT
Vic,

Thanks for the support. I am in the process of trying to learn several songs right now. I probably should scale it down a bit. I guess it keeps me from getting bored. Wish You Were Here I am close to being ready to start pt 2 of Dave's lesson, still working on Wanted Dead Or Alive & Cat Scratch Fever. I play other riffs as well but I haven't looked at trying to attempt the full songs for those.

ReplyQuote
(@blackzerogsh)
Prominent Member

To start it off, I can't do the barre chord for the very first 4 notes so I pick the 7th fret, and then for all the 5s I bare them, because I cant do that and then hold the 7th. Try that out if you like
StormyMonday Posted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 2:29 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

rockerman wrote:
not in jeff beck and eric clamptons league...and
clampton ever writting songs that are even close to what page has done, just my opion.

I agree. Eric Clampton never did anything for me. Eric Clapton, on the other hand, is a pretty solid guitarist.

lol :lol:

ReplyQuote
(@pamparius)
Estimable Member

I've been playing for 4 months now, and I do not find this song - or at least the intro - to be that advanced. I have fairly big hands, but I believe that the key in this song, as in every other aspect of guitarplaying, is practice, practice, practice! Talent is for the lazy!

"Trying is the first step towards failure."

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

MIke, that's probably where I went wrong with "Stairway"....I concentrated on that and that alone till I'd got it down....and when I'd got it (I won't say mastered it cos I still average 2-3 mistakes per play...) I was totally sick of it....

It's important to ENJOY what you're playing....don't make it a chore, keep it fun....

And as for support and encouragement, that's what this web-site is all about....the help and encouragement I got when I joined this site inspired me, turned me into a decent rhythm guitarist, got me writing more songs, I've learned a fair bit of theory....2 years ago, I'd never have dreamed I could actually play in front of people....my next step forward is to play my own songs in public....well why not? I like 'em, the Mrs likes 'em, the daughter likes 'em....they generally get decent feedback when I post them on th SSG or the GNSC....

One of my friends....we have an acoustic jam every tuesday in a local pub every tuesday, he's the guy who invited me....is currently working on a couple of my songs with me, he's worked out a nice slide solo to "Blood On Your Hands" (SSG, week 35 I think....) and we're hoping to play them in the pub, maybe not this week, possibly next week....

Point is, NEVER give up....have faith in yourself, have faith in your ability, have faith in your capability to improve.....you can learn something new every day, I usually do.....

Vic

ReplyQuote
(@yoyo286)
Noble Member

When I first played Stairway I couldn't fingerpick and do all those thing at the same time, so I did a "bastard" version of it, without the bass note when you pick two strings... I did that for a while until my friend showed me up, and I've been doing it correctly ever since... 8) :lol:

Stairway to Freebird!

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 4