12 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
mattguitar
(@mattguitar_1567859575)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Hello all

As a break from playing my usual stuff, I am thinking about learning a few easiy'ish classical pieces.

Anyone know of any that -
1. Don't require a 4 fret stretch (yeah...I know.. :roll: )
2. Don't need fingers made of latex to play

Look forward to some sensible suggestions. So much the better if you could point me to some half decent tabs too.

thanks

Matt

Alan Green
(@alangreen)

Well, try these:

Greensleeves - the version attributed to Henry 8th
Anything with "Etude" or "Study" in the title by Fernando Sor
Anything with "Etude" or "Study" in the title by Ferdinando Carulli

Check out http://www.eythorsson.com

for loads of free sheet music dowloads, particularly graded material (ignore work by Bach - Bach and easy, even easy-ish, do not go together)

Tabs? Not sure. You'll have to look. OLGA used to boast classical tabs, but I can read the little black dots so I never looked.

Best,

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
mattguitar
(@mattguitar_1567859575)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

as usual, thanks Alan.

this is an interesting site, you might be interested. Loads and loads of tab on here....plenty of etude's for me to look at! http://www.wussu.com/classtab/

thanks and all the best

Matt

ReplyQuote
martin-6
(@martin-6)
Honorable Member

First classical song? For me it's got to be Romanza by Anonymous (great composer ;) ). The first section is quite easy to play even if you have no experience. The second section is more challenging, and does feature some stretches, but is definitely within the grasp of a determined beginner. Also it sounds like a "proper" classical song, unlike many of the etudes you may come across. Definitely one that will have the ladies swooning at your feet after a few weeks. The next pieces I learned after that are Tarrega's Lagrima and Adelita - they are rated as grade 4/5 but they are both quite short and not impossible if you are prepared to start slowly and put in 10 minutes each day.

By the way I am ashamed to say I learned these pieces off wussu.com's tabs (but proud to say, it worked!)

ReplyQuote
Alan Green
(@alangreen)

Do take it gently if you're using Romanza as a first classical piece - it's on the Grade 5 syllabus and it's not easy to keep the triplets going steady throughout.

Best,

I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
pearlthekat
(@pearlthekat)
Noble Member

You should get the Aaron Shearer book called Learning the Classical Guitar part Two. You'll learn lots of stuff in there.

ReplyQuote
MattyPretends116
(@mattypretends116)
Honorable Member

Fernando Sor did a series of 20 some-odd classical guitar studies for the beginning level. Many are available online in powertab on *cough* ultimate-guitar.com

"Contrary to popular belief, Clapton is NOT God. The prospect that he is God probably had a large hand in driving him to drugs and booze. Thanks everyone."

-Guitar World :lol:

ReplyQuote
Irrawaddy_River
(@irrawaddy_river)

Hmm... when I started learning the guitar back in 2001, I learned simple songs by Giuliani, Fernando Sor and Carulli. Bach's most simple song is the Bach's Bourree II (Cello Suite BWV1010)...

ReplyQuote
Alan Green
(@alangreen)

Mattypretends116 - are you thinking of the Segovia Studies, by Fernando Sor? If so, they're a reasonable way of building up your classical guitar skillset but it helps if you have a teacher onside to help with some of the concepts.

Bach is always very technical, which is why I don't really like playing his work. A Bourree is a dance, and a pretty fast one at that. So, fast and technical - good luck.

Robert de Visee's Suite in Dm is popular with classical guitar beginners. It's been a few years since I played it but there's a good feeling when you can play it all the way through. Again, don't stretch yourself too much, the Gavotte is on the Grade 4 syllabus, and the Prelude is at Grade 5 (presumably because it uses higher positions and provides ample opportunity to use trills).

If you fancy something Spanish, check out Bartolome Calatuyud - everything from really easy to quite advanced.

Best,

ReplyQuote
mattguitar
(@mattguitar_1567859575)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

thanks for all the contributions, some interesting stuff here!

all the best

Matt

ReplyQuote
MattyPretends116
(@mattypretends116)
Honorable Member

Mattypretends116 - are you thinking of the Segovia Studies, by Fernando Sor? If so, they're a reasonable way of building up your classical guitar skillset but it helps if you have a teacher onside to help with some of the concepts.
I'm not sure if they are the Segovia studies; they are simply called "Estudio no. 1, no. 2" etc. I'm more interested in hybrid picking, and am learning some classical pieces which are on the easy side and are capable of being picked in that manner.

"Contrary to popular belief, Clapton is NOT God. The prospect that he is God probably had a large hand in driving him to drugs and booze. Thanks everyone."

-Guitar World :lol:

ReplyQuote
tahitiijack
(@tahitiijack)
Eminent Member

Paccabel's Cannon in D (please excuse the spelling) is easy to play using arpegioed chords.....yikes you can tell its Monday.

Happy Sunsets!

ReplyQuote