Clear all

Starting a career in music?

6 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@petrix)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Currently, I'm 15 and in a band with some friends. I play guitar and a bit o' bass.

In the future, I would love to do some session playing or something, but I have no idea how to get into that. Please could somebody give me some help?

Thankyou

"I had these dreams that I would learn to play guitar, maybe cross the country, become a rock star"

(@danlasley)
Noble Member

Session musicans usually do their work in recording studios.  You might try visiting some local studios and ask for the names of some producers who bring their work there.  It might also be a good place to find a part-time job or apprenticeship.

There is a thread here somewhere about what skills you need to be a successful session musician.  There are a lot of good pointers there.

Good Luck!
Laz

ReplyQuote
(@petrix)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks Laz

"I had these dreams that I would learn to play guitar, maybe cross the country, become a rock star"

ReplyQuote
(@garytalley)
Trusted Member

Develop your ear above all. Learn to play lots of different styles. Learn to read number charts and regular notation. Have several guitars for different styles. An electric with humbuckers, an electric with single coils, a good steel-string acoustic, a gut-string. Playing by ear is absolutely essential. If you can't sit in with a band playing any kind of music and fit in immediately, studio work will be beyond your skill level. Learn to play perfectly in tune and with steady time. Play according to what the song calls for, not what you can play. Chops are the least important factor.

www.guitarforsongwriters.com

creator of #1 video"Guitar Playing for Songwriters"

ReplyQuote
(@hobsonator)
Trusted Member

When you finish school move to Los Angeles or New York City.

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

move to Los Angeles or New York City.
Or Chicago. A lot of jingles are done here for radio & TV.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote