Starting out at the beginning

6 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Thanks so much for creating this site.

Ok, I have begun to start a punk rock band with my friend. She's on drums, I'm on guitar. we still need another guitarist and bassist though. I'm lead vocals too, but I don't feel I'm good enough to play the guitar since I only know up to suspended chords. I've tried countless times to understand the concept of suspendeds and beyond, but I keep getting frustrated and going back and practicing the same stuff over. I know some bands like good charlotte that one of the members only knew like 3 chords when he started and look where he is now. I really want to play guitar and make it big, but isn't it kinda neccesary to know a lot of techniques before you can even come close to making it big? Riffs, licks, and stuff.

(@alangreen)

Hi, Lara,

If you can play a number of chords and can switch between them fairly smoothly, then I would say go for it.

Playing in a  band with others is huge fun, and teaches you a lot. Enjoy it.

Best,

Alan

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@preamy)

Thanks so much for creating this site.

Ok, I have begun to start a punk rock band with my friend. She's on drums, I'm on guitar. we still need another guitarist and bassist though. I'm lead vocals too, but I don't feel I'm good enough to play the guitar since I only know up to suspended chords. I've tried countless times to understand the concept of suspendeds and beyond, but I keep getting frustrated and going back and practicing the same stuff over. I know some bands like good charlotte that one of the members only knew like 3 chords when he started and look where he is now. I really want to play guitar and make it big, but isn't it kinda neccesary to know a lot of techniques before you can even come close to making it big? Riffs, licks, and stuff.

To make it today takes surprisingly little my friend.

ReplyQuote
(@outoftheloop)
Eminent Member

Hey Lara..

So you want to start a band. Awesome. But... you're not too sure about your guitar playing. Well there are two possible remedies... Either get better at guitar (lessons or just self teach), or drop it and stick with being the singer. Granted, the more you play, the better you will get.

Best of luck to you..

Kyle

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

You'd be surprised how many bands started out knowing very little... go for it, experiment, and you'll pick up what you need as you go.

I'm not saying you should ignore learning more about music - just that if you wait until you know 'enough' you'll be waiting for a long time!

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@e-sherman)
Reputable Member

To make it today takes surprisingly little my friend.

Well, it seems to require an awful lot of something, but it isn't musical talent, whatever it is.

The king of rock, some say lives
the lizard king, is surely dead
the king of France, lost his head
the King of Kings... bled
( email me at esherman@wideopenwest.(com). I almost never check my hotmailaccount.

ReplyQuote