Skip to content
Still buying access...

Notifications
Clear all

Still buying accessories... shall we talk headphones?

12 Posts
11 Users
0 Likes
(@matthew)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

So I bought a pair of headphones today.

I went to the local 2001 Audio/Video here and asked what they recommended. One of my requirements was I needed an adapter to switch from stereo size plug to the smaller size. I didn't care if it started big and had a small adapter or vice versa. The guy pulled out a pair what had a small to big adapter that came with it, and a 5 meter cord (which is nice and long and awesome for using it with the amp). We looked at a few others that were nearly twice as expensive but he insisted he's gotten great reviews about the one I had. Having no idea about headphones, I obviously had to take his word for it. I know if I was buying a stereo I'd insist on listening to it, but I never even thought about it for headphones.

So the headphones were $40 (Canadian) in the exterior noise reduction style with the padding around the speakers.

I got home, opened them up, plugged them into my amp, and they sound terrible! When I switch my electric to the pickup closed to the neck (its Stratocaster style) all I get is some sort of “bong” sound, it doesn't handle the bass well at all. The opposite 2 settings on the pickup selector are “ok” but even the middle pickup sounds off. Also, to get a decent rockin' volume I have to turn my amp and guitar up all the way. When I play without headphones my guitar is usually at half and my amp at about 1/4th for the same feel.

When I plug the new headphones into the computer and listen to CDs they are “Alright”, but certainly not what I expected. They sound is almost washed out by bass (which is kind of backwards for headphones I think). My ear buds that came with my portable CD player are better than these things even using them on the amp! Oh, these headphones are also almost as loud to people standing in the room, far louder than the ear buds which even max at a higher volume.

Anyway, they suck. I was wondering if anyone knew what sort of specifications makes good guitar headphones. I'll be living in an apartment starting this year and I'll need to be quiet more than I can handle without headphones.

What I got:
Panasonic RP-HT455
Driver Units: 40mm (1-9/16 in.)
Impedance: 22 Ohms (1kHz)
Sensitivity: 102 bB/mW
Power Handling Capacity: 1,000 mW (Hrm, I have a 25 Watt amp. This might be a problem? But they still suck with a normal player.)
Frequency Response: 10 Hz – 27 kHz

They also claim to have an Extra Bass System… which could be messing up my amp's bass output? There's no “off” switch for it though.

Hope a trade in won't be a problem.

"Now people put you down for the way that you lived
But those people never knew you the way that I did
Don't be ashamed of who you were of how you died
I know you just wanted to find the brighter side..." - OPM

- Matthew

(@jasoncolucci)
Reputable Member

I bought behringer hps3000's. That sell them at long and mcquade if not at 2001 audio video (there's one in Oshawa if you didn't know?). Might be a little on the bass-y side for you but i find thery're pretty good overall. here's a link to a review. Oh, and they're about 35 bucks plus tax.
http://www.tcmagazine.info/articles.php?action=show&id=19&perpage=1&pagenum=2
The Behringer HPS3000s are a good pair of headphones for the money and offer reasonable audio quality. I do not know how many sets provide comparable quality in the price, but I doubt there too many. Gamers as well as low budget enthusiasts will enjoy them very much, no doubt about it. The quality to price ratio is among the best for headphones in the ?/$35 range.

Guitarin' isn't a job, so don't make it one.

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

http://www.goodcans.com

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

The terms Panasonic and high-end audio are not usually associated with each other. The company makes many many adequate and even some good products, but none are especially outstanding in terms of performance.

All employees at my work location were given a set of Panasonic noise-cancelling headphones. They don't cancel noise all that well, and they don't sound especially good -- however, they were not expensive.

Check out Nick's link. It will be worth your while.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

Audio-Technica ATH-M20s or ATH-M40fs Headphones are my head gear of choice these days.

High quality sound at pretty reasonable prices.

I really want the ATH-AD2000s, but $800 for headphones is more than I can part with. However, I've listened to them, and they are amazing.

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

ReplyQuote
 300m
(@300m)
Reputable Member

Here is anothe site for phones. I have bought from headroom and use my ear buds daily. Headroom

Anyone use the Grado's off Nick's link? The SR60/80's look good for plugging into my amp or effect station for late night listining.

John M

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

I use the Behringer HPS3000 and Sennheiser 202. Use them for mixing recordings and they are both more then adequate. Behringer doesn't fit as comfortably as the Sennheiser though.

ReplyQuote
(@dsparling)
Reputable Member

I'm no headphone expert, but when I was doing some session work at a local studio, one of the engineers loved the Sony MDR-V600 headphones and I ended up buying a pair for myself. I use them a lot with my Pod and I'm quite happy with them.

http://www.dougsparling.com/
http://www.300monks.com/store/products.php?cat=59
http://www.myspace.com/dougsparling
https://www.guitarnoise.com/author/dougsparling/

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

I'm no headphone expert, but when I was doing some session work at a local studio, one of the engineers loved the Sony MDR-V600 headphones and I ended up buying a pair for myself. I use them a lot with my Pod and I'm quite happy with them.

The Sonys in this line are considered a very good all-around headphone for monitoring, and have become something of an industry standard. You won't usually hear of "audiophiles" using them, but they are respected among sound professionals for having a balanced frequency response, some isolation and reasonable comfort. I know firsthand than they are often used for audio codec assessments.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@thectrain)
Estimable Member

I have the behringer hps5000's. They are really good for a reasonable price. Definitatly take a look at the behringer headphones either the 3000's or the 5000.

ReplyQuote
(@jbrownstein)
Trusted Member

This is a cloosed back (sealed) headphone. Produces the most clear sound I have ever heard. Not cheap, but definitely worth it.

The unexamined life is unworth living - Aristotle

ReplyQuote
(@azraeldrah)
Estimable Member

i have the panasonic RP-HT379 headphones and they work great! maybe you got a faulty pair yours sound like their a few models above mine, so they should be far better.

This signature is a forgery.

ReplyQuote