Skip to content
STOLEN GUITARS! Be ...

Notifications
Clear all

STOLEN GUITARS! Be Careful Who You Jam With!

17 Posts
15 Users
0 Likes
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

My buddy Andrew and his friends do a weekly jam session at one of their homes. It's sort of open-invitation, and often there will be friends-of-friends-of-friends who show up, and they'll bring others too, so it can be tough to regulate the flow.

Recently the house was broken into, and two custom Birdsong guitars were stolen, along with other gear. It is possible this was done by someone who attended a jam, or who heard about the gear from someone who did. While it may be overly cautious to say this, it might be wise to know who you are jamming with before letting them into your home. (For folks looking for jam-buddies on Craigslist, etc., keep this and the recent nanny murder in mind. There are some whackos out there!)

As the Birdsong guitars are quite unique, it should be tough for the thieves to unload them. If you are in the DC / VA / MD region, please keep an eye out for them; thanks! One is a 12-string mesquite guitar with an ebony-inlaid Zia sun symbol; the other is a 6-string in mesquite with a stringer in the center and the Zia sun symbol woodburned on the upper bout. There are some identifying pictures at the Birdsong site, right-hand side of the page:
http://www.birdsongguitars.com/news.htm

If you happen to come across one of them, please let me or the good folks at Birdsong know about it. Thanks.

Yes! His house was broken into yesterday while he was at work. Someone came in and took the flatscreen TV, laptop, Takamine 12-string acoustic, two Birdsongs, our pianist's keyboard, and my friend's wife's jewelry. We're working under the assumption that the theft was either done by someone who had come through the house during one of our weekly jams or someone who got the information about someone who had been in the house. (it isn't exactly an easy place to stumble into).

This guy is one of the most generous-spirited, giving, loving people I've had the pleasure of calling a friend. The fact that this may sour him on opening his house to people and to sharing his/our music...the fact that someone may have betrayed his generosity...words don't even begin to cover how angry this makes me.

Appropriate steps are being taken to cover locations where stuff may be sold. I ask that regardless of where y'all are, keep an eye out - these guitars are unique, to say the least.

Thanks.

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

(@the-dali)
Noble Member

Brother, I'll keep an eye out online as well. That sucks!

-=- Steve

"If the moon were made of ribs, would you eat it?"

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

that is an important heads up. our group has hosted firday night jams for over nineteen years now. we have seen some characters, both good and bad. fortunately, we never had a break in. tuners and cigaretter lighters ae the only thing that seem to dissappear.
I have often wondered about posting gear on forums. I imagine it would not take a crook long to discern just where you live and rip you off. I know a few folks on another forum that do not post gear pics or let on what they have in the home.

at the museum we are extremely careful about divulging info re:which lender or board member has what art in their collection and where that collection is.

what a cool idea to have jammers come to your home. how unfortunate that you may have to have them leave their driver's liscense at the door .

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@progressions)
Reputable Member

That sucks! I attend a monthly musicians' jam here in Austin, and can see something like that being a distinct danger.

Jeff

Isaac Priestley: World Racketeering Squad
http://www.progressions.org/
http://www.youtube.com/worldracketeer

ReplyQuote
(@corbind)
Noble Member

After reading this, I just typed the S/N of my guitar into my computer in case it's ever stolen. That way, if I posted "someone stole my guitar," it can be absolutely identified.

"Nothing...can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts."

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

That sucks man! I hope he gets his gear back and/or he's able to do alright with HOI. It's tough to be welcoming when you get bit. Keep us posted.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

Can't trust anyone these days it seems. Hope they turn up soon.
glad the guitars are easy to ID, maybe that will help

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

I feel very bad for your friend Mitch. Seems like such a nice guy, and then for someone to do this to him. :evil:

It's a sad day we live in when you can't even have people over to your house without worrying that they'll rip you off.

I hope those responsible are caught & your friend gets his stuff back.

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

ReplyQuote
(@ksac32)
Reputable Member

That really sucks.hope you can retrieve them.

http://www.soundclick.com/kensacco
http://www.soundclick.com/thetools

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Sorry to hear about the stolen gear. Yeah, you have to be careful about letting people see what you've got. Our band on occasion has arrived at gigs very early and set up. The other guys will often leave and go get a bite to eat, but not me. I stay right there and keep an eye on everything. I guess I am just suspicious by nature. :roll:

I have never had any gear stolen directly like this, but I have had "friends" ask to borrow pedals and never return them. I had a young fellow ask to borrow an amp for one single gig and have never seen him or my amp since, that was about 5 years ago. And I find I even have to mark all my gear, I've had people claim that items like a mic stand were their's.

So, gotta be real careful, not everybody is a good guy.

Wes

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

I was working as a stagehand at a folk festival several years back, and we discovered a young volunteer who had stashed 6 mics in his bag backstage.
When confronted by the entire stage crew, he claimed they were his, despite the very clear markings showing they belonged to the PA company.
He started begging for forgiveness when the sound tech pulled out the rental inventory... complete with serial numbers. :roll:

As the cops say, "they're only sorry after they get caught".

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

After reading this, I just typed the S/N of my guitar into my computer in case it's ever stolen. That way, if I posted "someone stole my guitar," it can be absolutely identified.

Which is fine in theory, but what if someone steals your computer at the same time? Better e-mailing your serial numbers to yourself - at least that way you'll still be able to retrieve them!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

If you're using web-based E-mail.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

A hole in the edge of the headstock would seem like a good place, if you needed to add one.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@maliciant)
Reputable Member

Sucks about the breakin.

How does that RFID thing work, how long of a battery life does it have, it also seems like anyone can scan any guitar and see the ID, so I'd imagine a thief that would rmeove/alter the serials would be more likely to check for an ID than some pawn shop owner (at least until after the pawn shop owner gets burned by this once).

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2