Clear all

Straps

20 Posts
15 Users
0 Likes
(@akflyingv)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

What kind of straps does everyone use? I'm looking for a new strap and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions?

In other words, What strap will make me play like Hendrix or Clapton? :D

(@tldavis92)
Trusted Member

I would say just go to the store and take your time. Try out as many straps as you need until you find one that is comfortable. You might consider one that is adjustable, however.

ReplyQuote
(@akflyingv)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

I do own a few different guitar straps but I'm mainly wondering if anyone uses a different brand or know any cool companies that make quality straps. Right now I have a leather one from dunlop and a woven one from levys, both are comfy but I am always looking for something new.

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

I don't know from brands or anything, but I do wish I could find a Stones strap. I think it would got wonderfully with my keefocaster.

I did see one brand that was intresting, but too expensive. Harley Davidson puts out some leather ones with chrome metal patterns on it. (like studs, etc)

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

I have one of the leather ones from Levy - beautifully made, solid as a rock. The only downside is that it is so thick that you can't get a Straplok on it

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@mmoncur)
Estimable Member

I like the padded cloth straps by Planet Waves. They're comfortable and they have a "pick pocket" that I can stash a pick in just in case I forget to bring it.

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

I have quite a number of the Levi's straps -- fat and skinny (but well padded) leather -- finished on the outside, suede on the inner to grip, suede-suede, a couple of the Harley-D straps Roy mentions (didn't pay, had them tossed into guitar buying deals), skinny leather + faux animal fur, blond "chick" in glasses repeating print (a fave) and more. my most comfy, grippy one is a Levi's rubberized heavy-duty canvas with giant brass-like grommets. it's a great strap for a road warrior guitar, but not a nice new one, as the grommets are lethal to the guitar's finish. it's on my beatercaster. urban decay ... uh, totally.

again: I've only paid for about half of my straps outright -- the less expensive ones and the unusuals picked up on a whim. after the guitar price is negotiated, I always ask for a strap, packs of strings and other misc. all that stuff is so high margin, it costs the store very little. on the strap, they'll usually just say "yeah ... go pick out what you want." it's pretty much like asking for "oh, by the way, I assume that includes" floormats for that new car when the sales guys is already mentally spending his commission.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@unimogbert)
Estimable Member

I am far from an expert in guitar straps as I'm just beginning to use them.

But I CAN say that for my guitars, a suede inner surface seems to be necessary to keep the strap from slipping on my body.

My guitars are pretty neck-heavy and have strap buttons near the neck-body joint and a very cheap, nylon strap doesn't prevent the neck from trying to rotate to the floor. Suede can help prevent a lot of this.

My playing isn't very good when I'm trying to keep the neck up as well as fret the notes.

Unimogbert
(indeterminate, er, intermediate fingerstyle acoustic)

ReplyQuote
(@ph0nage)
Reputable Member

I have really thick levy's leather one that is nice. I do not put strap locks on it though. The downside of leather straps is that once you put a strap lock on it, you're pretty much stuck with at the length you've made it. And they're a pain to get off.

I have a fender adjustable one that is great for straplocks.

ReplyQuote
(@akflyingv)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

I found this place while looking this morning: http://couchguitarstraps.com/
It seems as though they are having a 25% off sale if you enter the code on the front page. Only available til Saturday night.

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

I found this place while looking this morning: http://couchguitarstraps.com/
It seems as though they are having a 25% off sale if you enter the code on the front page. Only available til Saturday night.

I have so many straps, it's almost embarrassing ... I think I have one of these as well. Looks exactly like the orange and white one Eastwood Guitars sent to me. I use it on a lighter guitar.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@akflyingv)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Its funny that you mention Eastwood because I was looking on the website that I posted and they compare their straps to all these other brands that "copied" them and tell you (the customer) why their product is better. I guess its a good business move to just call out all your competitors in a "nice" way.
Here is the page, Eastwood is the last: http://www.couchguitarstraps.com/alternatives.html

ReplyQuote
(@bmancv-60)
Estimable Member

Went looking for a wide red leather (padded) strap at Bill's Music in Maryland to match my Firebird, found exactly what I was looking for from a brand I had never heard of, Onori. Very comfortable and a great match to the worn cherry finish. Check 'em out:

http://www.onorimusic.com/

"...I don't know - but whasomever I do, its gots ta be FUNKY!"

ReplyQuote
(@minotaur)
Noble Member

What kind of straps does everyone use? I'm looking for a new strap and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions?

In other words, What strap will make me play like Hendrix or Clapton? :D

I have some nylon straps that came with my electric (the guy threw all kinds of stuff into the gig bag); I ordered some leather straps from Strap King, I believe it was. I am on the lookout for some more. I just have a thing about collecting straps, like I do clothes. :roll:

It is difficult to answer when one does not understand the question.

ReplyQuote
(@notes_norton)
Noble Member

I use 3" wide Planet Waves soft nylon (I think) straps. They are easy on my shoulder and they make me play like Hendrix -- Harvey Hendrix ;)

Notes

Bob "Notes" Norton

Owner, Norton Music http://www.nortonmusic.com Add-on Styles for Band-in-a-Box and Microsoft SongSmith

The Sophisticats http://www.s-cats.com >^. .^< >^. .^<

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2