Clear all

Strat Bridge Question

5 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@crank-n-jam)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

I'm not schooled on the bridge that my Strat has installed. I noticed that it is pulled forward a bit which I assume is because the guitar has 10's on it. Is this normal or should the bridge be level with the body? If it should, how do I fix it? Stiffer springs?

Jason

"Rock And Roll Ain't Noise Pollution"

(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Depends which bridge: six screw synchronized trem (similar to original, still found on re-issues and lower end models) or two point, knife-edge floating trem (the modern version):

A floating six screw bridge plate will tilt forward off the body to allow one to pull back on the bar and raise notes. This a modification of the original Strat design, where the bridge plate rested flat on the body and only allow one to bend notes down in pitch.

A two-point, knife-edge floating trem bridge plate should be parallel to the body. You will have to tighten the spring claw (inside the back, under the cover plate) to do this if you've upped string gauge. Unless you use a temporary block to hold the plate parallel while you make intonation adjustments and tune to pitch, adjusting the spring tension/tuning/intonation is a bit of an iterative process.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@crank-n-jam)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Thanks!

I believe mine has the six screw version (but I'll verify). I'm still not sure what I think of this style bridge. I coming to the conclusion that I prefer fixed bridge.

Anyway, thanks for the info gnease!

Jason

"Rock And Roll Ain't Noise Pollution"

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Glad to help. You essentially can turn what you have into a fixed bridge by blocking the trem. A Google search will get you instructions.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@sito71)
Estimable Member

i have had both types of strat bridges and generally like them to be no more than 1/8th of an inch off the body (that is flush and if not almost flush with the body)...i was wary at first about the newer 2 point pivot bridge but it has more than proved itself and along with the locking tuners on my deluxe strat have limited the number of times i have had to retune to almost nil....originally i thought "oh man it's the 70's all over, (the 3 bolt necktype scenario)", but no, this is a major improvement over the 6 screw bridge...i was very skeptical at first but it's true...very nice trem bridge design indeed!.

ReplyQuote