Strat Experts HELP!

10 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
(@dagwood)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

I've got GAS Soooo bad right now.
After spending a good part of the evening at my local shop, they're a Fender/Martin/Taylor Store, I've been going in and getting aquainted with the guys after I bought my DG-24 (acoustic) a while back.

Anyhoo, I got to know the owner quite well and told him I was looking for to step up to a Sub-$1000 Guitar, be it a Martin, Taylor or American Strat. (I'm really getting into the Gilmour sound/style and more blues as well). I finally got in a few words with him 'tween the kids renting instruments for band etc.

When he finally had a minute he said he wanted to show me something, so he took me down downstairs, and lo and behold in a deluxe 'square' Fender Case lay a beautiful Chrome Grey, 50th anniv American FatStrat. Here's the kicker, he asked what I thought they'd usually charge for one of them, I figured round $1100 or so. He said $1250, anyhoo its used but in pristine condition, the price? $650

I played it for about 20 minutes, first unplugged, then plugged in to a HRD. The S1 switch will be fun to learn and discover new tones with, but I'm curious... to know.... I'm trying to figure out if this is a Good Deal? a Great Deal? or a don't go home without it deal?

Hep me Mr Wizard....... PS its on Hold till Thursday.

Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing. - Wernher Von Braun (1912-1977)

(@twistedfingers)
Honorable Member

GRAB THAT GUITAR! If it's really all that. I paid $700 for my Highway 1 that I just love. If somebody offered me a 50th anniversary, in good condition for $650 I'd be on it like white on rice.

That is if, you are sure that it's as good as he says it is.

:D

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- "WOW--What a Ride!"

ReplyQuote
(@lord_ariez)
Reputable Member

BUY IT MAN!!!!!

'You and I in a little toy shop, bought a bag of balloons with the money we got"

feel free to talk with me on msn at [email protected]..... no icq anymore

ReplyQuote
(@undercat)
Prominent Member

The big question is: does the guitar speak to you?

I wouldn't buy a guitar that was worth $3000 for $500 if I wasn't going to play it! 8) (assuming I wasn't just going to resell it) Because heck, that's still $500 I'm out, with nothing to play.

No matter how good the deal is, if you're buying to play, it better be one that talks to you. I've played guitars worth $150 that I'd be happy to play forever, and I've played guitars worth $1800 that you couldn't pay me to own.

Do a serious evaluation, decide if it's exactly what you want, exactly what you're going to want for a while, if it feels like you want it to feel. If you're like most of us, $650 isn't the kind of money you spend on a regular basis!

After all that, if you've cleared it in your head and in your heart, Buy that puppy and wail happily ever after! :twisted:

Do something you love and you'll never work a day in your life...

ReplyQuote
 sirN
(@sirn)
Reputable Member

Sounds like a good price to me. A used american fat-strat (has humbuckers in bridge) should normally go for a bit more (probably closer to $800). If it's also a 50th anniversary model, then that should also up the price. Nice deal.

btw- I paid $ 950 for my new american fat-strat non 50th anniversary.

check out my website for good recording/playing info

ReplyQuote
(@blackzerogsh)
Prominent Member

its an excellent deal!

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

having the S1 switch makes this a 2003 or later model.

i can't find anything on the s-s-h pup variety offered as a 2004 strat 50th anniversary. that does not mean it's not, i'm just saying i can't find it mentioned anywhere.

if it's a 50th anniversary i think it should come with a lazer etched 50th anniversary logo neckplate.

as far as i know fender only released 4 models for the stratocaster 50th anniversary line.
the 3 mentioned here http://namm.harmony-central.com/WNAMM04/Content/Fender/PR/50th-Anniversary-Strats.html

and also a 50th anniversary gold version http://namm.harmony-central.com/SNAMM04/Content/Fender/PR/50th-Golden-Strat.html

i would suspect this is a late 2004 or 2005 american fat strat in a 50th anniversary case.

that said ; if it's this one http://www.music123.com/Fender-American-Strat-HSS-i110325.music
it's still a very good deal, just not a 50th anniversary

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@dagwood)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

i would suspect this is a late 2004 or 2005 american fat strat in a 50th anniversary case.

that said ; if it's this one http://www.music123.com/Fender-American-Strat-HSS-i110325.music
it's still a very good deal, just not a 50th anniversary

I think thats it Lefty. After I posted last night I kept diggin around and found out that the '04 models have a 50th neck plate and I figured it was just one of the regular '04 Am models.

But Heck its still very nice and at a good price.

Undercat: Yes and Yes I'm with you. I'm going in to the store in the next few days and I'm gonna get a bit aquainted with it. If it talks to me then she'll go home, if not well I can pass. Its not a "Huge" deal.

Thanks y'all. Your the best.
Cheers.
D-

Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing. - Wernher Von Braun (1912-1977)

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

it's not a 50th aniverasry for sure.
regardless. that is one sweet deal. grab that guitar.
it sounds perfect for what you are interested in playing.

650 is a very fair price.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

If it's in good condition it's a good deal. Spend some time playing it. Turn all the knobs and flip the switch and listen for noise. Play each fret of each string and listen for buzz. Turn the machine heads and make sure they are smooth and not bent. Look it over real good.

Now, I doubt you will find any problems at all. The American Strats are quality guitars. Mine is a '91 and plays flawlessly. The only problem I ever had was I wore the frets down so I bought a new neck. :D

That is really what is so good about the American Strats. They are a working guitar. You can't even hardly break it if you wanted to. And they are versatile. You can play anything with a Strat, especially with a humbucker at the bridge.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote