Clear all

Strat Pickguard Question

9 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Hi, one question. Will a Fender Strat pick-guard fit on a Squire Strat?

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

(@trguitar)
Famed Member

There's one way to find out .......... :oops: Sorry, not much help there. Are there the same number of screws that hold both of them on? Do you have pics you can look at? I think 11 is the standard Fender Strat number of screws. I think some cheaper copies have had 9. It won't mean everything else will line up but it's a start.

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

There's one way to find out .......... :oops: Sorry, not much help there. Are there the same number of screws that hold both of them on? Do you have pics you can look at? I think 11 is the standard Fender Strat number of screws. I think some cheaper copies have had 9. It won't mean everything else will line up but it's a start.

I'll have to go take a look after the holidays. Been thinking of making a David Gilmour axe out of the EMG loaded pick-guard, but was thinking of saving a couple hundred bucks or more by going Squire.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Sounds like a cool idea. I would guess it would work just fine but I can't say from experience. I've been tempted to get a white Squire Strat with a maple board in a lefty, flip everything and make a you know who guitar. 8)

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@the-dali)
Noble Member

Should fit fine, but there may be screw hole or two off that you'll need to drill out.

-=- Steve

"If the moon were made of ribs, would you eat it?"

ReplyQuote
(@citizennoir)
Noble Member

Hi :D

Well, just from studying pictures...
The American Standard Strat, and the MIM Standard Series Strat as well as the Squier 'Standard Series',
all seem to have the same 3 ply, 11 screw bolt pattern pick guards.

Pre CBS 60's Strats also had 11 screw holes; different pattern.

The Squier 'Affinity' series Strats seem to have the single ply, 8 screw pick guard of a 50's Strat.

Other than that - like the Dali says; Why not just drill 'em to fit!

Ken

ps- There's the issue of body routing as well.
The Squier Standards come in a Fat Strat version with A HB in the bridge, or a double fat Strat with HB's in the Bridge and neck - no mid. (The Double fat can be had in a nice Satin Pewter Metallic (w/rosewood fretboard only) and matching paint on the large 70's style headstock and a single ply black pick guard) :wink:

"The man who has begun to live more seriously within
begins to live more simply without"
-Ernest Hemingway

"A genuine individual is an outright nuisance in a factory"
-Orson Welles

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

This is the EMG loaded pickguard that I'm looking at. http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/EMG-EMGDG20-David-Gilmour-PreWired-PickguardPickup-Set?sku=301515 .

The local GC has that Manager's clearance sale every now and again. They had this the last time for something like $205. They still have it, but at the regular price. I'm going to wait for another one of those sales.

I hadn't thought about the original configuration. I'll need to make sure that I get a s-s-s for sure. I got no problems drilling some holes, but I don't have the word working gear to notch anything out in the body.

Roy

ReplyQuote
(@citizennoir)
Noble Member

Hey Roy :D

Ah, I see... It's got SC pups.
I was thinking HB's when I heard EMG.... Sorry.

Well then, it wont really matter what the original pup confifuration was....
As far as fit goes.

The tone may be a bit different if you put SC's in a swimming pool routed body.
(That is - just a big cut out rectangle to accomodate HB's)

If you can live with that - no worries :wink:

Good luck on your project,

Ken

"The man who has begun to live more seriously within
begins to live more simply without"
-Ernest Hemingway

"A genuine individual is an outright nuisance in a factory"
-Orson Welles

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Hi Ken,

I had not thought of that either.

I'm not expecting the tone to be the same, but as long as I can get something "like" it. After all, there's the different fingers, skill considerations, other guitar parts and other equipment factor.

I really dig the tone he had on the Pulse live album. I'm sure I can get the basic vibe though.

Roy

Roy

ReplyQuote