Clear all

String gauge question

4 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@sparrow-aka-honor-roller)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

I have an Ibanez RG 2550, locking trem. People often say 9s work the best with that sort of locking system. i use 10s and am considering 11s, any experiences with this, difficulties etc.?
thanks

(@sparrow-aka-honor-roller)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

also, i tune to Drop C (Drop D down a full step) so this makes a huge difference in tension i assume.

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

The only thing that I can think of is that the springs and claw may need adjustment. You may need to add another spring to compensate for the extra tension from 11s. Changing up in string and spring tension, may cause the balance to be slightly out, requiring the screws, holding the claw in place, to be adjusted, so that the bed of the vibrato mechanism will lie flat.
Although that might all be unnecessary, because of the drop C tuning.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
 DV8
(@dv8)

I have a Ibanez RG myself and like to use the light/heavy gauge of 10-52. I also like a stiff trem so I run 4 springs and my trem floats beautifully. Since you are going down a whole step that does make a differance, but remember if you have to run the screws on the claw plate down too far you are going to have problems because once a spring opens the force it expells is rapidly decreaced. Also there are slightly different lenghths in springs that Ibanez uses (goldish color vs. silver) so if you do decide to go up to 4 springs make sure your addition matchs the rest.

For the best advice I have seen about Ibanez RG guitars set-up and maintanace go here:
http://www.ibanezrules.com/tech/setup/index.htm

ReplyQuote