Clear all

String Noise (Squeeking)

12 Posts
11 Users
0 Likes
(@guitarteacher)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Anyone who has played acoustic or classical guitar has experienced string noise whilst shifting on wound strings. I have a few tricks up my sleeve to prevent it, but I am curious to know what you do (or even if it bothers you at all!).

Thanks and Cheers,

Thomas

If you want to be good, practice. If you want to be great, you must constantly change the way you think.

(@u2bono269)
Noble Member

i find it to be an important part of playing. it just has a very natural sounding feel to me, like i can REALLY hear the actual playing instead of processed music. mmm nothing like a good squeak

http://www.brianbetteridge.com

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

Yeah, it goes with the territory and there's no value in trying to get rid of it although I believe it can be done. Segovia thought the same.

Best,

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Depend on the piece -- where glisses are neither an integral part of the music nor an enhancing stylistic technique, I have learned to lift my fingers off the wound strings if necessary.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@artlutherie)
Noble Member

When I first put my strings on I oil them with olive oil, it really helps with sqeeking and makes the strings resistant to my toxic sweat.

Chuck Norris invented Kentucky Fried Chicken's famous secret recipe, with eleven herbs and spices. But nobody ever mentions the twelfth ingredient: Fear!
ChuckNorrisFactsdotCom

ReplyQuote
(@off-he-goes)
Noble Member

I like the the sound, espically when playing a barre-chord based song, like a Jack Johnson piece, it gives a natural sound.

Vacate is the word...Vengance has no place on me or her...Cannot find a comfort in this world.

ReplyQuote
(@guitarteacher)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Thank you all for your responses. I wanted to let this thread hang out there in the universe for a while before sharing one of my own techniques. I call it "fake left, go right". Basically, you are overcompensating in the opposite direction and before the fact. If you are shifting up the neck (to the right), begin the shift by coming off the string to the left (when shifting down the neck, come off the string to the right). By experimenting with varying degrees of exaggeration, you will be able to find a point where you can eliminate the squeek without compromising the the notes on either end of the shift. It make take some time and experimentation, but it really does work and is worth the effort, imo.

If you want to be good, practice. If you want to be great, you must constantly change the way you think.

ReplyQuote
(@ivankaramazov)
Estimable Member

When playing acoustic, if I find I'm sqeaking too much I try to use a different part of the finger that is soft and not as dry as the tips of my fingers.

I guess that's a trick.

ReplyQuote
(@bennett)
Reputable Member

I'm a bit of a Squeak Freak; nothin' like the sound of good 'squeak'. :D

But, it's handy to have ways of dealing with it should the piece being played call for it. Thanks for the tip, Guitarteacher. :)

From little things big things grow - Paul Kelly

ReplyQuote
(@clazon)
Honorable Member

i find it to be an important part of playing. it just has a very natural sounding feel to me, like i can REALLY hear the actual playing instead of processed music. mmm nothing like a good squeak

I was saying this to a friend just last night.

"Today is what it means to be young..."

(Radiohead, RHCP, Jimi Hendrix - the big 3)

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

Interesting technique guitar teacher.

I just slightly lift out of habit.

ReplyQuote
(@nirvgas)
Estimable Member

Yeah, before I got into guitar I would always cringe when I heard "the squeak". I couldn't stand the wretched sound!! Now that I play though, I think it adds a definite natural sound to the song, a certain warmth. Kinda makes it feel like your sitting right next to the person playing. Now (like Bennet) I'm a freak for the squeak! 8)

Life is my friend
Rake it up to take it in
Wrap me in your cinnamon
Especially in Michigan
...well I could be your friend- RHCP

ReplyQuote