Strings for a Les Paul

11 Posts
11 Users
0 Likes
23.6 K Views
(@steve_o)
Topic starter  

Good afternoon.
I would like your opinion on what would be the best strings for my Gibson Les Paul. I have not had this guitar long. Today i put on a set of Gibson Brite Wires 9-42. At this point i wish i would have left the old ones on it. They simply sound terrible. I know this is kind of the Chevy versus Ford versus Chrysler,,,, on and on. But i would like to put something on this guitar that sounds good. As you may be able to tell my experience is limited with this type of guitar. Thank you.

(@s1120)
Prominent Member

Strings are realy a personal choice. We all like diferent things. I tend to perfer a littlethicker then that... but many like thin strings. I normaly bounce between DR Medium-tite 10-46 , or DR heavy 11-50 I like the 11's... but like a little smaller on the low E. I tryed some Ernie Ball Slinky in 11-48 and like the size, and feel... but not the sound... so its soemthing you just have to change till you find what you like.

Paul B

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

Ask 10 guitarists about strings and you'll probably get 20 different answers. As has been said, it's a personal thing.

In the UK we have Rotosound strings, and I've used their 10-46s for years. Hendrix used them, Geddy Lee uses their bass strings, and one day I'll get an endorsement deal so I don't have to pay for them. The best thing about Rotosound is you get a spare 1st string in the pack - a really useful touch.

I have a few packs of D'Addario strings in the case which I bought because I needed some spares and the local shop doesn't sell my weapon of choice, but if their steel strings are as poor as their classical strings (yet another personal opinion) then I'll probably never use them or, if I have to put them on I'll replace them with a set of Rotosounds soon as.

Fender strings and Ernie Ball slinkies are also popular over this side of the pond. I've never felt the need to try them out.

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Lately I use Dean Markley 11-52 for my Les Paul. I have also used DR, GHS, Ernie Ball, Fender, D'Addario...

Perhaps DR are my favorite, I also like GHS and Dean Markley. Usually I asked to the salesman what strings does he uses and I purchase them.

And just a comment. The new strings need some time and playing in the guitar to get tension and the best tone.

ReplyQuote
(@moonrider)
Noble Member

Ask 10 guitarists about strings and you'll probably get 20 different answers. As has been said, it's a personal thing.

This! Plus, we plank spankers tend to be a conservative lot and once we find a string brand we like, it's really hard to get us to switch unless the string manufacturer really screws up.

I used to use D'Addario exclusively up until about 2004. Then it seemed like their quality really dropped. I spent about a year or so sampling string brands and finally settled on Dean Markley 1973s as a general purpose, "go-to" string.

Gauge matters too. Me. I can NOT use anything lighter than tens, period. First time I do a deep bend on anything lighter, they're in two parts.

Try everything, and make note of what you like.

Playing guitar and never playing for others is like studying medicine and never working in a clinic.

Moondawgs on Reverbnation

ReplyQuote
(@kkayser)

I generally use 9's on my les paul. I am not real picky about brand, but I usually end up with D'addario's. Over the years, the only strings I have grown not to like are Martin acoustic strings, as they tend to go dead quickly, but then again if I changed strings as often as I should, it would not be a problem. It really is a matter of personal preferance. alot of factors at play here, like how often you change them, what kind of music you play, amp and effects are even going to effect tone and sustain, so....just keep experimenting until you find what you like. Good luck.

ReplyQuote
(@diceman)
Reputable Member

Many years ago I tried Gibson , Fender , D'Addario , and finally , Ernie Ball . For me the Ernie Balls worked the best . They sounded better , lasted longer and were cheaper to boot . I use Super Slinkys ( .009 to .042 ) .

P.S. I use them on a Les Paul !

If I claim to be a wise man , it surely means that I don't know .

ReplyQuote
(@zbowl)

Many years ago I tried Gibson , Fender , D'Addario , and finally , Ernie Ball . For me the Ernie Balls worked the best . They sounded better , lasted longer and were cheaper to boot . I use Super Slinkys ( .009 to .042 ) .

P.S. I use them on a Les Paul !

I always liked Ernie Balls, I used 13s on my acoustic and my electrics. Lately I been messing with lighter strings on my strat and went to dadderio 11s and I tried flat wounds. The switch has been interesting so far but I had to add some more tension on my tremelo to get it to stay in tune. Find what suits you by messin around like everyone else has said. It can be kid of fun.

ReplyQuote
(@rocket-dog)
Reputable Member

I have a few packs of D'Addario strings in the case which I bought because I needed some spares and the local shop doesn't sell my weapon of choice, but if their steel strings are as poor as their classical strings (yet another personal opinion)

Interesting, what classical strings to you use Alan?

ReplyQuote
(@marc-collin)

What is the latest price of Les Paul? I like this guitar really much but to get price quotes for Les Paul?

ReplyQuote
(@davepweb)

I am a fan of Elixir strings. In my opinion, try 10s or even 9s if you solo a lot & go with 11s if you play rhythm. As you know, there is more to your sound than the strings. You can try changing amp settings, getting a new amp, some pedals, etc... Best of Luck :!:

ReplyQuote