Clear all

Strings, strings, strings....

7 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@azraeldrah)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I've been experimenting with strings recently and i've found that i prefere the sound of acoustic strings on my electrics... Now although the tone is superb, fast playing and legato is more dificult, im prepared to work through that. my main worry is whether they will damage my bridge or distort my neck at all... well my guitars neck, mine's fine for now.

This signature is a forgery.

(@dayzd)
Estimable Member

They shouldn't damage anything depending on their guage. You may need to check the truss rod, otherwise I've never heard of any problems coming along with them.

Anything that is too stupid to be spoken is sung

-----------------------

<--=-.._DayZd_..-=-->

ReplyQuote
(@azraeldrah)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

thats ok. had a nightmare that i was playing on stage and they tore the head off :-S... its kinda sad that i have wakeup-in-cold-sweat dreams about my axe.

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

I've got a Johnson f-hole style hollow body electric guitar that I always use bronze wound acoustic strings on (currently a set with the really light .010 gauge high E) and I've never had any trouble.

There is sometimes a small amount of neck movement with any change of string weight, and small adjustments needed. But I didn't find that swapping from electric to acoustic strings caused anything other than the usual minor adjustment though.

Like you, I much prefer the sound I get. :)

I don't know if it's a recommended practice or not - but it suits me, so I do it. Not had a problem with it.

ReplyQuote
(@josephlefty)
Reputable Member

Interesting. First I have heard of doing this. 8)

If it was easy it wouldn't be worth doing.

ReplyQuote
(@azraeldrah)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

much nicer tone. packs of acoustic strings seem to be heavier than electrics, but are soooo worth it.

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

The sonic balance will be different, because the bronze or brass is nonmagnetic and only the steel core wire will excite the pickups. So you'll have a more trebly balance with diminished bass. The output from all the wound strings will be a lot less than it would be with "electric" strings of the same gauges. If you like a really trebly sound, that's something to try.

Going the other way with electric strings on an acoustic works fine. They're a little brighter in tone than bronze or brass wound.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote