Clear all

Strumming on a classical guitar

14 Posts
11 Users
0 Likes
10.3 K Views
(@mistydawn)
Topic starter  

Is it acceptable for someone playing a nylon-string, classical style guitar to strum, rather than fingerpick, when playing accompaniment? I play in a small, amateur folk ensemble and for some reason the guitarist will only play fingerstyle accompaniment to our songs. Perhaps there is an unwritten rule that classical guitars shouldn't be used as rythym instruments? I feel that all that fingerpicking can make a song sound too "busy" when someone else is playing a lead that is composed of many quarter or eighth notes. I know, the sensible thing is just to ask the guitarist but I wanted to get some other opinions first. Thanks.

(@racetruck1)
Honorable Member

Absolutely, if it sounds good do it.

I'm a firm believer that whatever works, must be right!

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming......
like the passengers in his car.

ReplyQuote
(@fretsource)
Prominent Member

Personally, I don't like the sound, It's too 'boomy' or muddy for my taste, but as Racetruck said, if you like that sound, go for it. If you're using a pick on nylon strings you'll wear them out quicker. Also be careful about scratches as there's normally no pickguard.

ReplyQuote
(@nexion)
Honorable Member

Hey, even if there is some "unwritten rule" against strumming on classical, who says you have to follow it!!! :twisted:

"That’s what takes place when a song is written: You see something that isn’t there. Then you use your instrument to find it."
- John Frusciante

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

Strumming's ok on a classical. Bossa Nova players even use a pick

Best,

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@rahul)
Famed Member

Ha Ha Ha, strumming on a classical guitar ?

Well take a look at my soundpage and leaving the first song, each and every other one is strummed on my classical guitar.

I was brave enough to do Green Day songs on it and play other rock, punk songs.

Its not the guitar, it you.

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Here (Spain) it is very common to own a classical nylon string guitar rather than steel string guitars (acoustic or electric). 20 or 30 years ago, probably, there was a nylon string guitar in each home... Ok, almost in each home.

Here everybody strum the guitar, somebody use fingerpicking. Some years ago you can see groups of people at small streets and parks singing, dancing and strumming their nylon string guitars. All my friends used to strum their guitars. There are thousands of Spanish singers that use nylon string guitars and usually they strum the guitar!

There are no rules! If you like the sound, go ahead!

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Do what you want. Having said that, fingerpicking does allow often for a bit niftier arrangements then simply strumming although it really depends on what you're doing. If you're playing with multiple guitarists you can even mix&match.

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

Whatever sounds right. I normally try to find a fingerpicking pattern to set myself apart in the group I normally play with if I strum I would be lost to the second chair strumming his 12 string..

Check out all thr flamingo influenced dudes. Another reason not to strum is I'm still building the skills to do that.

ReplyQuote
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

Is it acceptable for someone playing a nylon-string, classical style guitar to strum?
Was acceptable to play a guitar with your teeth when Hendrix did it? or set fire to one? Did it stop him? :wink:

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

ReplyQuote
(@fretsource)
Prominent Member

Is it acceptable for someone playing a nylon-string, classical style guitar to strum?
Was acceptable to play a guitar with your teeth when Hendrix did it? or set fire to one? Did it stop him? :wink:

True - but I think doing both at the same time definitely isn't a good idea. :lol:

ReplyQuote
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

You may have a point there, FS :)

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

ReplyQuote
(@atmosphere)

Well take a look at my soundpage and leaving the first song, each and every other one is strummed on my classical guitar.

What's the link to your soundcloud?

ReplyQuote
(@rahul)
Famed Member

What's the link to your soundcloud?

https://www.youtube.com/user/john287in/videos

These songs were recorded sometime ago. I miss those 2005-06 days of my life! :oops: :D

ReplyQuote