Notifications
Clear all

stuck in a rut

9 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@spoonman)
Topic starter  

hey whats up... im here basically because guitar has pretty much gotten boring for me, and that sucks. i started teaching myself around the age of 12 and ive been playing around 9 years. the first few years were awesome... learning stuff all the time... i couldnt learn enough. anyway... to the point. i listen to mostly alt. rock from the 90s. nirvana, stp, a bunch of metallica, shit like that, but now im in a death metal band. i dont listen to death metal but i figured id give it a try. i dont mind the originals that we have but alot of the death metal ive heard sounds alot alike to the point where i cant really differentiate the bands, so i dont get inspired by it or learn from it... i just kind of tune it out as background music when i hear it.
im good at listening to something and figuring it out by ear, but ive never had much creativity when it comes to writing my own music. i always seem to get stuck in the same patterns that get dull very quickly. ive tried learning a bunch of scales (major, minor, pentatonic, and whatever else) but after i learn a certain scale i dont really know how to apply it or change it around so its something that i can make mine.
i want to make guitar new and fun for myself again... but not just for me, for my bandmates as well because i know that gets frustrating as hell when everyone is ready to write a song and all i can think to play is the same ol stuff. they're all great friends and theyve put up with it because the things i do come up with every once in a while is pretty out of the ordinary and we all have great chemistry when we do get it flowing.
i guess i dont really have a question but i im looking more for how to inspire myself again.

(@azertyuiop201)
Trusted Member

ive tried learning a bunch of scales (major, minor, pentatonic, and whatever else) but after i learn a certain scale i dont really know how to apply it or change it around so its something that i can make mine.

I'm only a beginner that's been playing for less than 2year but I'm learning lead through Troy stetina's heavy metal lead book part1. It's really good to get feeling of how to play around with scales because the book is full of riffs using the scales and by excercising them you bassicaly put all these little paterns and tricks in your fingers so when you noodle around you can come up with some nice combinations from it all. Maybe this is something you already gone through in the past but if not, then try it out.

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

with the new scales you learned, i'd suggest you improvise within them until you discover new melodies or riffs you can use.
try coming up with different rhythms.
if you normally do power chords, try arpeggios, or vice versa.
work with dynamics. soft to loud and sparse to full.
learn the common song forms and work within them or completely outside of them or add a twist to an old form (space waltz)
use these in combination with each other.

ReplyQuote
(@jamonkey)
Eminent Member

I've only been playing a year, but I'm getting good and I jam with some friends. I am using something called Guitar Scales Method and thats a good program if you want to master the scales, that may help you get out of your rut.

Persoanlly when I feel like I can't do anything i try playing a different style of music like blues, doom metal, or power metal (I am in a death metal band as well)...try a song that is very dependent on it's chords and mix up the strumming patterns (change up the chords too).

Think back to when you were a begginer, sometimes when the pace got even just a little slower you could learn something new and you'd look at the guitar a different way. Sometimes learning a couple new things would help.

Or take an unscheduled road trip, all the while not thinking about your guitar.

....Brann's advice was great....

ReplyQuote
(@coloradofenderbender)
Noble Member

Spoonman:

I am just guessing here, but it sounds like "death metal" doesn't really inspire you as a musical genre. If so, why stay in a band that plays it? If you enjoy 90s alternative music, then you should move in that direction. Perhaps that would re-energize you.

ReplyQuote
(@daniel-lioneye)
Reputable Member

Spoonman:

I am just guessing here, but it sounds like "death metal" doesn't really inspire you as a musical genre. If so, why stay in a band that plays it? If you enjoy 90s alternative music, then you should move in that direction. Perhaps that would re-energize you.

I was gonna suggest that^ but you beat me to it.

I agree with what jamonkey said, and it works, at least for me it has.

Guitars: Electric: Jackson DX10D, J. Reynolds Fat Strat copy
Acoustic: New York and a Jasmine.
Amps: Austin 15 watt, Fender Deluxe 112, Fender Champion 600 5w, 0ld 1970's Sears 500g.
Effects: Digitech Whammy, Big Muff Pi USA, MXR, Washburn Distortion.

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

A lot of musicians, especially young musicians (but older too), have their egos all wound up in guitar. They think they have to play the most heavy, macho music possible. It can be so bad that if you play anything other than super-heavy metal you are considered a sissy. And so you get stuck playing power chords forever with massive distortion.

Well, you see the results. It gets boring. It usually lacks melody. It just beats you over the head all the time.

And how inspiring can power chords be? Two notes, wow.

I'm not saying these players aren't great, many are incredible. But still, who wants to play basic power chords forever? And that is 99% of this type of music.

Start listening to all sorts of music. Listen to Blues, listen to Jazz, and yes, even listen to Country. :shock: I know, I know, your friends will probably gang up on you and beat your posterior.

Wanna have fun with guitar? Learn some Jazz. They got the coolest chords ever. You will NEVER get bored.

And you know what? You can even incorporate these different styles into your music. Your music may get very interesting and inspirational again.

You guys would probably laugh at Elvis Presley and the music he played. Man, that guy was a Black Belt in Karate and could take the whole bunch of you out fast. Just because you play music with a melody doesn't mean you are a dweeb. Try singing like Elvis.

So, get off the macho kick and listen to music. All kinds of music. Man, if all I played was power chords, I'd give guitar up.

Not trying to me mean or harsh at all. But I have seen this macho trip so many times. I love heavy music as much as anybody, but I love pretty music too.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@spoonman)
Topic starter  

thanks for all the feedback so far guys... its def. started to help already. as for quitting my band, thats not really an option. i live with these dudes and weve known each other for years... starting another one, however, is an option but not as of yet. but i think that would probably help me out alot too.
Wes Inman - "They think they have to play the most heavy, macho music possible. It can be so bad that if you play anything other than super-heavy metal you are considered a sissy. And so you get stuck playing power chords forever with massive distortion. Well, you see the results. It gets boring. It usually lacks melody. It just beats you over the head all the time."
i think that rings pretty true as well, and might be where i messed up. there are power chords in every kind of music, so you cant really get away from them but at the same time you dont have to be heavy fucking metal all the time.
ill def. try the ideas the ideas that you guys give me (at least the ones i can) because i want to get back on that level and its cool that you guys are all willing to help out.

ReplyQuote
(@jamonkey)
Eminent Member

If you listen to the right heavy metal music, they make up for playing a bunch of power chords with a thought out solo. Children of Bodom are great at harmonizing their guitars, the big four of thrash beat on in your head and have great solos but aren't only made up of power chords...It makes it easier to break the mold in a heavy metal band by using non-traditional chords AND thought out solos.

ReplyQuote