Notifications
Clear all

Stupid guitar not staying in tune

3 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@angelofdeath)
Topic starter  

I have an RG120 with an ibanez tremolo system (I'm pretty sure it is). It came with an extra spring that I can add behind the guitar, but I'm not sure if that'll help. Should I just replace the tremolo system?

(@steve-0)
Noble Member

Whoa, slow down, replacing the tremelo system might be very extreme right now. There could be a number of small problems that cause the strings to go out of tune: bad tuners, nut isn't slotted right, areas of contact aren't lubricated well (for this, i just use mineral oil to lubricate the bridge, tuning posts, etc.)... as well, you might just need to tighten some screws. Check all of these things before you mess around with putting a spring in or replacing the entire system (since that can be pricey). Keep in mind that when doing huge dive bombs, your guitar probably won't say in tune without some sort of locking tuning system.

Steve-0

ReplyQuote
(@marshallsw)
Estimable Member

Most of my tuning problems came from the string not being tightened good enough on the tuning peg. When re-stringing your guitar, put the string through the tuning peg hole twice, so it'll have a more secure hold.
the strings DGBE are the only ones I can get to do that, but it helps.
try it.
If it's your E and A strings then...hmm...dunno about that one.

You're a god among insects, never let anyone tell you different.

ReplyQuote