Clear all

Sweat And My Guitar Bridge

9 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@thebandsite1)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

I own a Gibson Les Paul Standard for over 3 years now and was wondering about something on my bridge and pickup covers. On the two lowest parts of the bridge (where the low e and a string go through) is where I palm mute notes alot. I was wondering if through the years of much playing and palm muting, that sweat from my playing hand as gradually detsroyed the nickel finish on the bridge. Not destroyed really, but tiny little red spots are starting to appear where I often palm mute my hand. My pickup covers are getting a "foggy" look to them and was wondering if that's normal also.

Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

Pretty normal since sweat and body oil have some form of acid in them and will eventually eat away at the finish. Even with constant wipe downs it can still eat at it.

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@thebandsite1)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

but will it actually eat away at the bridge itself or just the finish?

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

but will it actually eat away at the bridge itself or just the finish?
Just the finish. It would take a lifetime to eat through the finish let alone the bridge.

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

This is normal stuff. Honest playing wear is an honorable thing on a guitar. Some people actually pay a premium price for "relic" guitars that have been (mis)treated by the maker to simulate the appearance of a well-worn guitar. I abhor fakes like that, but there's nothing wrong with the marks of use (not abuse.)
8)

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

This is normal stuff. Honest playing wear is an honorable thing on a guitar. Some people actually pay a premium price for "relic" guitars that have been (mis)treated by the maker to simulate the appearance of a well-worn guitar. I abhor fakes like that, but there's nothing wrong with the marks of use (not abuse.)
8)

Think of Willy Nelson's well loved guitar!

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@e-sherman)
Reputable Member

For the visually impaired.

The king of rock, some say lives
the lizard king, is surely dead
the king of France, lost his head
the King of Kings... bled
( email me at esherman@wideopenwest.(com). I almost never check my hotmailaccount.

ReplyQuote
(@bobblehat)
Reputable Member

I have the same problem with my les paul black beauty with gold hardware,mine goes green!The best way to clean them up is to soak them overnight in WD40 then rub them hard with a cloth.WD40 is that spray oil/lubricant for shifting rusting nuts etc I believe its called something else in the U.S.

HOPE THIS HELPS.

My Band: http://www.myspace.com/thelanterns2010
playing whilst drunk is only permitted if all band members are in a similar state!

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Of course, gold plating on guitar hardware is very thin and will rub off with normal use, revealing the (usually "white") metal underneath it. The more you polish, the faster it'll go.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote