Clear all

Switching hands?

5 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@jimiraysantana)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Has anyone out there ever switched from playing right to left handed? Because of arthritis, I can only spread my left hand about 4 frets but my right about 6 frets. Also my index finger has no strength for bar chords.
My worries are the 2 years of work I've put into playing would go down the tubes, the gear changes etc

Also, the guitar does not feel right at all when I try to play left handed. Maybe because I'm right handed I'll never be able to make the change.

Thanks
Dave

(@blackzerogsh)
Prominent Member

I think that your right hand may not be as efficient becuase it's never really been used to fret notes, only to pick them. I say that with practice you could become as proficient with the right, as you were the left, and even improve from there.

ReplyQuote
(@hummerlein)
Estimable Member

It will take time because a LOT of playing an instrument is in the muscle memory. It will be faster than the first time around, but it will still take a while.

ReplyQuote
(@crandles)
Trusted Member

its possilbe
i have a friend whos left handed but plays like a right handed becasue he got sick of going into music shops and not finding any left handed gutiars that werent a piece of crap or ridiculously expensive

ReplyQuote
(@jimiraysantana)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for your replies

I went the local shop today and tried playing left handed, Hummerlein is right. I don't think I can go back to square one so I'll keep plugging away with what I got

Dave

ReplyQuote