Clear all

Syd Barrett

11 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
(@ivankaramazov)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I'm sure most everyone heard that he died yesterday. I'm wondering what you all think about when you hear his name. Like his playing better than Gilmour's?

Personally, I liked Barrett a lot. While flaky at times, songs like Interstellar Overdrive seem like almost genius to me. Also, after watching VH1s show on Pink Floyd detailing how the band kicked him out, I started feeling sorry for him. Made me pretty hostile towards the guys who were behind such a coup as well.

(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

What else can you do with a guitarist that constantly doesn't show up for gigs because he's laying face-down somehwere because he OD'ed again? He was a brilliant musician but he was killed by drugs. The poor guy practically died a few decades ago.

ReplyQuote
(@ivankaramazov)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

They had to kick him out, but the way they didn't tell him what they were planning, phased him out over time and then just didn't pick him up one day seems cruel.

ReplyQuote
(@jasonrunguitar)
Reputable Member

All the more tragic. Hopefully he found peace later on in his life.

-Jason
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To those about to rock, we salute you!
http://www.soundclick.com/jasonwittenbach

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

They had to kick him out, but the way they didn't tell him what they were planning, phased him out over time and then just didn't pick him up one day seems cruel.
The man had his head in a toilet bowl, swimming with drugs - he probably had no idea that anything was going on. He possibly had even forgotten that he'd been in a band.
To tell him straight to his face may well have sent him into a state, from which a fatal OD was the only exit. IMHO, they did it the kindest way.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@csmart01)
Estimable Member

Shine on you crazy diamond...

ReplyQuote
(@ivankaramazov)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I don't think he was that messed up. It seems to me like Barrett catches a lot of crap, and rightfully so on some of it. However, over the next 30 years, the other members of Pink Floyd couldn't stop fighting and bickering with each other like little girls. It's clear that they have their own problems when it comes to dealing with people. In a documentary I watched, Roger Waters talks about how they went to a psychiatrist, told him all of Barrett's symptoms, and the psychiatrist said, "Are you sure this is Syd's problem?"

ReplyQuote
(@jonetoe)
Reputable Member

I didn't hear that, been out of touch not watching much TV or news. Barret could have gotten them their cult following but I always thought gilmour was the main driver. Even though gilmour was the talent he was though when he went out on his own he didn't do to well. When he started using the pink floyd name again without waters he was back in the spotlight, even though it was the same music. Just goes to show how corporate lead the music scene is

ReplyQuote
(@sdolsay)
Reputable Member

Ya Barret was messed up, I read an article about his last studio work, they said lunch time when he went out for lunch if he turned left out the door he'd come back, but if he turned right they wouldn't see him till the next day....

I think if yu look at a lot of bands first few years you see personal changes, sometime it's because the person can't handle the life-style, no self control, it's not always a talent issue.

Brian Jones off the Stones comes to mind...similar situation.

Scott

I havn't found my tone yet, and I have no mojo....but I'm working on it :)

ReplyQuote
(@97reb)
Noble Member

He was talented, as were all the guys in Floyd. They changed the first couple of years and Barret did not change for the positive. I think bringing in Gilmour was good for the group. Then by the time "The Wall" hit all the personality issues (read "EGO") was too much. They still put out some of the most groundbreaking music with and without Barret. Can't say as I'll miss him since he has not really been doing anything to make anyone miss him, except for those that actually knew him, personally. His star burned out long ago.

It is a small world for metal fanatics. I welcome you fellow musicians, especially the metalheads!

ReplyQuote
(@scrogdog)
Estimable Member

I think that it is clear that he was disturbed.

Here was a man that during a concert, would sometimes just stand there while the others played as a trio. At other times, he played a single chord for the entire concert. At least once he just stood there and detuned his guitar. Later on, Gilmour who was his childhood friend tried to help him with a solo gig. At one point, Syd politely put his guitar down flat on the stage and walked off.

The band had no choice. The actually brought in Gilmour to cover for Barrett and decided that Syd could then just do whatever he wanted on stage. They respected Syd and did not want confrontation in my mind. Even after they agreed that he would not come back on stage, they tried to retain him as a songwriter.

But finally... it was too much. They had to let him go.

I think Barrett was a true expressionist in every sense of the word. He was about a sound... a texture... a feel... a moment. Perhaps his issues are partly responsible for his expressive revelations.

I have decided to put together an acoustic rendition of Shine On You Crazy Diamond in his honor.

Come on you raver, you painter, you piper and shine!

ReplyQuote