taking things one step further?

9 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
 lars
(@lars)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

This keeps popping up from time to time. I have asked vaguely similar questions before, but I will risk another one. To you who have answered me earlier. I havent forgot you, but I have moved on slightly, and things look kinda differernt in my head.

Well

I have a bunch of songs. 10-12 songs that I am (more or less) entirely satisfied with. Most of them I have recorded to a rough demo standard.

I have played some of them live with my band on some occasions and I tend to get good feedback. For one of the songs I actually received a sponsor – “you've got to release this, I will cover the expenses” :o will have to think about whether I should take her word for that.

Anyway, I would to try to take things one step further. It is not like I will bet my life on it, and I am not even sure what I would have as a final goal. As some of you know I am fundamentally and desperately in doubt about my own skills – but obviously I am in a good period now.  Still I am unsure about what to do and how to get going.

Nothing is really finished at this stage. I will have to record again many (all?) tracks, and everything will definitely need to be mixed again. But most of the songs should give a pretty good idea about what this is.

Radio or record or something else?
Dunno what is done these days. Does anyone release albums anymore? Itunes? Getting radiotime as unsigned is actually possible on a few national programs in Norway. Is working to get signed somewhere the way to go? Indie? I don't even know what the possible scenarios are.

One or many?
Should I concentrate on one song and do it as good as I can and try to “sell it” in somewhere? – radio? “talent shows”? single?
Should I make a rough demo of everything and try to sell it in as an album? To record companies?

Alone or together?
I should be able to do all instruments myself (maybe except drums). But obviously there are better guitarists, bassist and vocalists … not to mention violinists …. around. I know a few musicians and I am sure I could ask some of them to do some tracks for/with me – but I am not sure how it would turn out.
I have this band too, but I'm afraid we are far from being tight enough to do anything for real. So I am pretty sure this will be my project.

Polish or go?
Obviously I can spend many years polishing – does it pay off? I guess I could concentrate on one song and get it up to 90-some% perfect in a couple of months (lots of other things to do – day time job, kids…). I think I have equipment to make everything close to perfect. But it takes so much time for me, and I am not very good at working systematically. At least I would need a master plan then, but I don't feel I'm up to creating one myself.

Perhaps I would be better off going to a studio somewhere and ask for help from the beginning? Maybe I could afford recording one song really good?

Some of many loose thoughts. Luxury problem really. Mentoring anyone?

...only thing I know how to do is to keep on keepin' on...

LARS kolberg http://www.facebook.com/sangerersomfolk

cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Lars,

Too many questions for me to answer (most I can't anyway) but a few thoughts.

One your good enough to play your own songs unless you have some ideas in your head to improve them and don't think you are technically capable.

A good song doesn't have to be technically difficult or complex so I don't see that as an issue. The only reason I would think you want to bring in other musicians is if you wanted to really fill the sound out with other instruments int hat case go for it.

As far as recording and getting the song out there that's a difficult one. You might want to see if you can do a good quality recoding in someone's home studio rather than spending the money to go to an actual recording studio unless money is no object.

But the key is getting the music out there so people hear it. Can you post on the internet sure but how are you going to get people to listen to it. I think it sounds great that anyone can post their music there but so do 10 million other people so I think most of it goes unheard.

I would think you need to cut some decent quality recordings and get yourself out there and try to promote your songs at the shows. Once people have actaully seen you and heard the music they are more likely to go online to listen to more.

Of course I've never done any of this so it's just an opinion.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@joehempel)
Famed Member

Can't you send a demo to a local radio station at least? I know in Cincinnati there are stations that have Indy music nights, like WEBN is a big one around here that does it.

In Space, no one can hear me sing!

ReplyQuote
(@bfloyd6969)
Estimable Member

Can't you send a demo to a local radio station at least? I know in Cincinnati there are stations that have Indy music nights, like WEBN is a big one around here that does it.

Ah, you're in Cinci. I'm in the Columbus/Dayton area. I would love to find an Indy station around here. I'm sure there are some but I don't know of any...

Why do we have to get old...

ReplyQuote
(@joehempel)
Famed Member

I think WTUE may have a night where they have indy music if it's in there genre. I think they are kind of like a WEBN but up in Dayton

In Space, no one can hear me sing!

ReplyQuote
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

Lars,

Not sure I can answer all your questions. I think you should get your demo done as well as can be done. Whether or not you record all the parts is up to you. Check with a recording studio for the cost. You might not want to go in there a have to do a lot of takes/retakes. If you have the song polished then your initial recording time will be short.

Once that's done, assess how you feel about it and whether you want to do any more songs. Around here some peeps put out a mini CD with approx. 4 songs on it to give a more rounded representation of what the song writer/performer can do.

If you can get a few songs done on one CD you are far more ahead than when they ask, "Got anything else?"

Them you might also tap into the knowledge of the studio for assistance in how to promote your new recordings.

Hope this gives you some direction...

Good luck, bud!!

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

ReplyQuote
 lars
(@lars)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for answers! Kinda busy these days.

I will try to polish my recordings, I'm saving up courage to ask a friend of mine who runs a studio.

After that I will try some radio stations.

I much more fun to write / play, than to practice and record and mix... :evil:

...only thing I know how to do is to keep on keepin' on...

LARS kolberg http://www.facebook.com/sangerersomfolk

ReplyQuote
 Cat
(@cat)
Noble Member

Hang in there, Lars! We're in the middle of constructing a whole new approach to "the business of music" that will address all your head-scratchings! Bascially, it entails a website where anyone can get anyone who's signed with us...their music downloads for free. The site makes its money from the draw ("hits") it gets...with disbursements to artists commensurate with each share of "hits" they get. Oddly enough..."hits" will take on a stronger definition than the well-used, current reference to a "hit". There's LOTS of work involved (legal/fiscal/qualitative) that we're working our way through. Heaps of time involved...but I just "quit all my day jobs" so now I'm leaning into it, pretty good.

One conumdrum, however, is uncopywritten work. It's STILL strongly advisable to get your intellectual property protected.

I cannot stress this point any stonger. Believe me, good stuff that's not protected WILL BE STOLEN...and you'll rue the day you didn't take this advice!!!

Cat

"Feel what you play...play what you feel!"

ReplyQuote
(@moonrider)
Noble Member

Lars, the only person I know fairly close to you that that might be able to help you is about two hours away from you in Larvik. His name is Roger Langvik. Here's a link to his website: http://rogerlangvik.com/Websted/Home.html

You can listen to samples of some of the projects he's done on his website and see if you think he might be a good match for your music.

Playing guitar and never playing for others is like studying medicine and never working in a clinic.

Moondawgs on Reverbnation

ReplyQuote