Taylor 110 - **UPDATED** Got a 310!

14 Posts
10 Users
0 Likes
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

I'm sure there are quite a few in that range but, if you really like the Taylor sound, why don't you save up another 6 and buy the 310CE (or alike).

Check used also.

I'm a Taylor kind of guy. I really enjoy the sounds of them. I have nothing against Martin or others, I just really like the sound of 90% of the Taylor's I've tried. Very distinctive and very beautiful. 8)

(@guitbusy)
Trusted Member

I am not sure of a stigma, but I really like the breedlove. It is a lot of guitar for around the $600 range. Both cut away and electric/acoustic. You can always look around for a used one, you might get a 310 in that price range used. Whatever you like (even if it only costs $50 :-) is what matters. My campfire guitar cost $50 and it sounds good to me. If we run out of wood at the end of the night I don't feel so bad about throwing it on the fire either for that price ;-). Good luck in whatever you decide.

Older Newbie

ReplyQuote
(@pearlthekat)
Noble Member

If you're not sure keep looking. the Taylor will still be there but for $600 you can get any number of acoustic guitars that are pretty good. Seagull, Blueridge, Washburn, a lower end Martin, maybe a Guild.

ReplyQuote
(@lgc252)

Guit - get the 100 with a clear conscience. I know Bob Taylor -- seen his shop -- and the 100 series is better than most Fender acoustics, low-end Gibsons or Epi's or Yamaha's. I have 710 CE w/a Western Red Cedar top & another with a Sitka Spruce top. They are both different; the Cedar top producing a warmer more complex tone. What they have in common is what all Taylor's have in common -- playability! They also possess great intonation and tone.

The 100 is full-sized, with a solid spruce top and laminated sapele back and sides. It has great mid-range projection, a sensational neck profile (especially - if like me - you have small hands), and that Taylor vibe that makes it blend-in nicely OR standout.

You could spend $2,800 like I did for a 700 series - or six for this one and have a ball.

It's up to you.

I've been playing music for 40 years - had over 60 guitars (my '64 Harmony VibraJet still a fav) and nearly 30 amps (really liked my Silvertone w/6- 10's) -- visited most of the major luthiers and factories between Fullerton and Bethlehem - and know 1st hand what I'm talking about.

Do it!

ReplyQuote
(@rich_halford)
Reputable Member

I bought a Taylor:
http://forums.guitarnoise.com/viewtopic.php?t=17991

I still absolutely love it. When I go into guitar shops I try various guitars and when I pick up a Taylor, any model, the sound just does it for me. So if the Taylor sound floats your boat then go for it, you won't be dissappointed.

Last thing, I did get mine set up too and when I let people play it, experienced guitarists, they always look in the soundhole to see what they are playing. I enjoy the expression on their faces, its kind of 'bloody hell this sounds/feels nice - what is it?'.

Good luck with it.

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

How about expensive ones?

Breedlove - Who says your soulmate has to be a man or a woman?

I've played the 110 and it's a pretty good guitar. If you find the one that is right for you, buy it.

You might also check out the Gibson WM-45 which can be found on sale for close to that amount, or used.

Speaking of......on Ebay right now

A Taylor 214 BIN $630 with free shipping

A Carvin C980MW that looks minty for $600 BIN free shipping
A beautiful 1991 Washburn D-30s for $600 BIN - (Don't confuse these with the el cheapo Washburn Acoustics)
A 1993 Guild USA D-30e for $650

Check out this larrivee OM2with a repaired small crack on the back. Ridiculous BIN of $585

Another goodie,a Seagull S6+ CW - $650

ReplyQuote
(@riff-raff)
Reputable Member

I considered Taylor and Martin when I was searching for a $500 price range guitar. I decided against both of them because their models in that price range were solid top, but laminate sides and back. I figured it may be the last expensive (for me) guitar that I ever bought, and I wanted it to be ALL solid. In the end, I decided on an Epiphone Masterbilt DR500M. I got it for $500 and it is all solid and it feels perfect in my hands.

My campfire guitar is a FENDER DG-14S that I paid $100 for used and it has a solid top and laminate sides and back. Funny thing, some people spend a couple thousand on a guitar and get a $500 job for camping. One man's beater is another man's prized possesion! I'd be proud to will my well worn, pick-scratched to hell, hard played Epiphone to my children in 50 years.

ReplyQuote
(@the-dali)
Noble Member

Those $500-700 Taylors and Martins... are they made in the USA at the main factory, or are they made elsewhere? I've seen a number of the Martin guitars in MF and AMS catalogues and I can't tell where they are made.

-=- Steve

"If the moon were made of ribs, would you eat it?"

ReplyQuote
(@margaret)
Noble Member

sport the trapped X wrote: So do you guys ever have the salesmen go in the back and bring two out so you can compare?

Heck yeah, you should! You're considering forking over close to a thousand bucks. You can ask him or her to bring out every single one they've got back there. And the same again tomorrow if you don't make up your mind today.

Remember, his job is sales. He WANTS to make the sale. And he's going to be there until his shift is over, whether he's standing around doing nothing or helping you find the very best fit you can get with your new love. Don't feel bad for making him put a little effort into it.

And don't feel bad about shelling out a little more for good service (one benefit of buying locally, as opposed to buying online). (I'm not suggesting you shouldn't bargain on the price.)

There were two "identical" guitars when I bought my acoustic, but they weren't the same, and after some examination I bought the one on display instead of the one fresh out of the box in the back.

Margaret

When my mind is free, you know a melody can move me
And when I'm feelin' blue, the guitar's comin' through to soothe me ~

ReplyQuote
(@margaret)
Noble Member

She bought it without even looking at it. I believe it was a gift for someone.
Wow! I'd like to be on her gift list, even if she doesn't know much about picking out a guitar.

Margaret

When my mind is free, you know a melody can move me
And when I'm feelin' blue, the guitar's comin' through to soothe me ~

ReplyQuote
(@iraesq)
Trusted Member

I second Dnukom's recommendation. If you are looking in the $500 price range, the solid wood Epiphone Masterbilts are woth checking out. I bought the DR-500M about a month ago and I love it. Great tone and a bold volume. Play one if you can before you make a purchase.

ReplyQuote
(@rich_halford)
Reputable Member

Nice one! If its anything like my 314 you will love it more every day.

I imagine it cost more than $600 - but I wouldn't worry, it will be worth it in the long run. If you suffer from GAS, look up Bob Colosi saddles, nuts and bridge pins: http://www.guitarsaddles.com/

Theres also a Taylor forum: http://69.41.173.82/forums/index.php

I'd better do some work.

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Congrats! She sure is purty! Have fun, she's a lifelong keeper!

ReplyQuote
(@guitbusy)
Trusted Member

Hey, great choice. The 310 is a very fine instrument indeed, and as far as I know, no negative stigmas attached. Now hauntings, that is a different story... :-)

Older Newbie

ReplyQuote