Clear all

taylors overated?

7 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@mikey007)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

i was just wondering if u can find guitars besides martins and othere really well known brand names that sound as good as taylors. Like i know that lots of u will say that it all depends on YOU. But i was just wondering,. Any thoughts?

Mikey

(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

Sigh....Martin and Taylor, although very good, are just the beginning of the quality guitars.

I own a Taylor 712ce which is very nice and a Martin D-15s and a 60's d-12-20

But sounds as nice or nicer than a Taylor?

Off the top of my head: :D

Collings
Breedlove
boaz
bourgeois
everett
Gibson
charles fox
froggy bottom
goodall
laskin
manzer
mccollum
santa cruz
schoenberg
sobell
lowden
Ryan
Olson
huss and dalton
northwood
lakewood
mossman
brook
fylde
mcilroy
Greven
Claxton
Wingert
McKnight
McAlister
Dunn
grammer

BTW, no guitar is over-rated. They are unique. You can't compare two like models by the same manufacturer, so you definitely can't say an entire line is good or bad.

Should you buy a guitar because of what it says on the headstock? No. Is it a good guide to understand the general quality and reputation of the maker? Yes it is.

ReplyQuote
(@david-m1)
Estimable Member

I dont think there overated, I have played many Taylors although I dont own one YET, I think Taylors have a distinct sound in all there models (except the baby), I like the necks, and they usually seem to be set up pretty well from the factory, Alot of people like Taylors so I dont think there overated, just slightly overpriced because of thier popularity. I think the same can be said about Martin guitars, very popular, and they have a distinct sound ( i like their deep bass). I hope to own both one day a taylor and a martin, I'll just have to pay a little more, but I'll get the sound I like.

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

The Taylor I played once briefly was a dream. I preferred it to the Martin I tried out (but they're out of my price range at the moment).

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

David brings up a good point.

Guitars are priced at what the market will bear. The quality and reputation that I mentioned support a certain price point. When they become "over-rated" or priced at a point above their worth, they will stop selling.

Of course that is also subjective, the price I put on those qualities may be above yours.

If the price for that quality and reputation is more than you are willing to spend for a guitar, then indeed that guitar is over-rated.

ReplyQuote
(@mulletgut)
Eminent Member

No one has yet mentioned MATON Guitars
Some of the best play our wonderful Australian made guitars - not listed above but a truely wonderful guitar. Tommy Emmanuel and Ben Harper both love 'em.

http://www.maton.com.au/

If it's free its for me........... and I'll take three!

ReplyQuote
(@slowfingers)
Trusted Member

Well, I am new to guitars still, so I am not in tune with the finer points of what makes a good guitar and what does not. But, I played a 214 that I absolutely loved. I would have bought it right then, but the price was just a bit out of my range. So, I will now go on wishing I had one or I will find a way to buy one (unless I find something I like better). Overrated? Depends on you. Play the guitar and decide whether it is worth the asking price to you.

Here is another example. I have tried a few different Alvarez guitars, and never thought much of them. I had almost written that brand altogether. Then, this past Saturday, I was killing some time waiting for my lesson to start. I picked up an Alvarez MD model (I think it was a 65) that was perfect. Must have been a favorite of the sales staff there, because it was set up to play exactly the way I would want. The sound was great, action nice and low, you name it. The price was marked at a little over $600. I wanted to try and make a trade with my Seagull right then, but resisted the urge. That is another guitar I will think about for a while until I find one that makes me happier. I like my Seagull, but can not resist the idea of looking for something better (even though I may not act on that for a year or so).

My point: You can not classify a guitar as good or bad based on its name (unless the name is Esteban :lol: ), but more on how that particular one plays for you. I would recommend trying one out and if you find one you like, buy that guitar. Do not buy one of that model, buty THAT guitar. I have a similar theory when it comes to golf clubs. If you demo a driver you like, do not buy another of that model, buy the demo.

Seagull M6 Gloss

ReplyQuote