Clear all

Teach yourself to sing

10 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
(@andrewlubinus89)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Ok...I'm one of those crazy people that think that you can learn (almost)anything if you set your mind to it and natural talent is overrated.

As a guitar player it's been embarresing when people have asked me to play for church, youth group, etc and I can't do it because my singing sucks. So do you guys have any way for me to learn how to sing? Online resources etc? I've been playing guitar songs and trying to match the tone of my voice with the chord or whatever but unfortunately the other thing on my to do list is ear training :(. I've been singing along to tapes and stuff too trying to stay and key but I still stink. Any advice?

(btw...I don't mean become a lead singer in three months sort of learning but just adequate...as in singing in key and such ;) )

A hoopy frood knows where his towel is....

(@maxrumble)
Honorable Member

Boy do I know how you feel.

I was about to buy some software or VHS tapes when my wife told me she would check out the local Library. I am now on a short waiting list for three different products. Most lists are quite long but appearently learing to sing isn't in that high of a demand.

You should check out your local Library.

Good Luck.

Cheers,

Max

ReplyQuote
(@illicit)
Estimable Member

Get a good vocal coach. It would help you improve bunches, just don't be shy.

Behold! The great northern viking's pinnacle of evolution! Behold my wavy blonde locks, my icy blue eyes and my muscular physique! Behold my.. screw this, I'm going to McDonald's.

ReplyQuote
(@azraeldrah)
Estimable Member

lol. my sister owns a copy of the ps2 game "singstar" (and all the ones after that) after having a few goes im hitting alot more correct notes... still no bruce dickinson but much better than i was :p

This signature is a forgery.

ReplyQuote
(@thectrain)
Estimable Member

I still am not great at singing, but I have improved from literally not being able to hit a correct note, to singing in key most of the time. A few tips that I have picked up:

1) find your range. Once you figure out what keys are good for you can slowly expand your range with practice but in the mean time sing songs in your range to build your confidence.

2) A little excersise I use is to just play a note on the guitar and hum it soon both your voice and your ear will improve.

3) Related to #2...improve your ear, I have zero natural talent but as my ear got better the singing just came along with it. Its hard to sing something if your not sure what your singing.

4) Really the most important is just to sing alot. Everytime you get a chance just sing do it. Its like anything else practice is the only way to get better.

ReplyQuote
(@kalle_in_sweden)
Prominent Member

Another tip is to sing out louder as you then will hear your voice through the ears and not trough the head. Or (not a yoke) practice singing in the bathroom with hard walls, it will reflect the sound much better to your ears.
Using a mike and earphones also helps.
Singing out loud also makes it easier to hold the tone stable.

Tanglewood TW28STE (Shadow P7 EQ) acoustic
Yamaha RGX 320FZ electric guitar/Egnater Tweaker 15 amp.
Yamaha RBX 270 bass/Laney DB 150 amp.
http://www.soundclick.com/kalleinsweden

ReplyQuote
 300m
(@300m)
Reputable Member

Good advice here! I guess I need to try this also as boy do I stink at singing. Kalle, good tip. The only place I sing is the shower and the car with the tunes loud.

John M

ReplyQuote
(@hairballxavier)
Estimable Member

I think the most important thing is to sing alot. Sing along with the radio while you are driving, Sing when you are just jammin to your favorite CD or a song you know comes on tv or the radio. Sing in front of people too. Go to the bar on karaoke night and sing. And if your unsure sing the note low and raise it to pitch. Singing too high sounds bad, if you are a little flat noone notices.

ReplyQuote
(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

There are only a few things you really have to do right to sing well.

1) hear pitch correctly. Use a good on-line hearing program like http://www.prolobe.com . Use it every day. Spend at least 15 minutes a day and it will really help. In conjunction with this really try to hear the pitches you are playing, particularly when doing scales or arpeggios.

2) breathe correctly. Breath control for singing is very important. It's very very hard to figure out on your own and is something that you should spend a few dollars on a vocal coach to help you get the basics down. If you are breathing correctly, you will go a long way to maximizing your tone. Your voice is basically a wind instrument, and breath control is vital to good tone.

3) hear your own voice. Get a mic and some cheap monitors so that you can hear your own voice when you sing.

From there it's a matter of practice, practice, practice.

There are some good products out there that will help you get better faster, by showing you the exact pitch you're singing in real time along with the target note you're trying to sing . . . but honestly, if you are doing the three things above, you will get better. The only thing those other products will do is perhaps help you get better a bit faster.

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

ReplyQuote
(@andrewlubinus89)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

lol. my sister owns a copy of the ps2 game "singstar" (and all the ones after that) after having a few goes im hitting alot more correct notes... still no bruce dickinson but much better than i was :p

Singing video game? For the final level do you have to sing "Brighton Rock"?

:lol:

A hoopy frood knows where his towel is....

ReplyQuote