Teaching your own child?

13 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
 vink
(@vink)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

My 9 year old is showing some interest in playing guitar, so I am thinking about teaching her myself for a couple of months to get her started. If she is still interested and wants to keep going, then I can get her real lessons. I figure I know enough to teach her how to get around the lower fretboard, play some simple tunes and basic chords. I am thinking about getting a basic method book (maybe the Mel Bay volume 1) to use for this purpose.

Any opinions on this course? What are good things to do, what to avoid etc?
Any help is much appreciated.

(As for gear, I got her a 1/ size dean for $20 from musicians friend, it's not bad. I will probably put some extra light strings on it. If she keeps it up for couple of months, then I will get her a better guitar -- maybe a mini strat if she is so inclined.)

--vink
"Life is either an adventure or nothing" -- Helen Keller

(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

I love Mel Bay for teaching kids... BUT (and it's a big one) it doesn't cover chords well - since it teaches you to read standard notation, the chords go with each key - so the first chords are C, F, and G7. F isn't such an easy chord for a beginner... and book 1 only covers the keys of G and G, so the other chords in it are G, D7, Em, Am, Dm and B7. Out of 9 chords, 2 are really hard for a kid to play!

I'd supplement it with some easy songs. Kids also like simple blues boogies - the key of A can be done with open strings on every chord, and it sounds cool.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
 vink
(@vink)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Tom,

Thanks very much for your experiences on the Mel Bay book. Do you have a suggestion for an easy songs book that can supplement it?

(My repertoire of easy song leads is limited to couple of nursery rhymes .. I can't sing either, so I want to have some material to back up whatever I am teaching her.)

--vink

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

I ask them what they listen to, and try to tailor songs to their tastes.

Most 9-year olds are just beginning to get into popular music, so often they won't really have an answer - in that case, I use folk songs that they might have sung in school music classes, Christmas carols, or Disney tunes (although many of them are too hard - you might need to simplify fingerings)

If they do have musical tastes developing, I try to find easy songs in the genre - by the artists they name if possible. The 9-12 year old crowd by me seems to like Green Day and Beatles, but there's a lot of variance, especially if they have older siblings - some lately have named Zeppelin, Skynyrd, Metallica, and Simon & Garfunkel.

There's no particular songbook I like for kids (or adults for that matter). Since its supplemental stuff, personal fit is the most important thing.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
 vink
(@vink)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Most 9-year olds are just beginning to get into popular music, so often they won't really have an answer - in that case, I use folk songs that they might have sung in school music classes, Christmas carols,

I think this is the case for my daughter. She really has not developed any particular taste, so I think I will work with some simple christmas songs and maybe some folk songs I can find and get her interested in. Thanks a lot!

--vink

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

I teach elementary school and I'll tell you...many kids love some of the old songs their parents are listening to! I teach PE in an urban school and when I bring out the stereo and I play R-E-S-P-E-C-T by Aretha Franklin, Louie-Louie, and other oldies the kids go NUTS! They love it! One reason is that some of the new bands are doibng covers of the older songs...I played I'm a Believer by the Monkeys and the kids new all the words because it was redone...

ReplyQuote
(@mushin)
Eminent Member

Hi I have an 11 year old daughter who showed some interest when I picked up my acoustic. On a recent trip back to Oz, I picked up an acoustic that was more suited to her size (dreadnought was a little big) and picked up a couple of simple childrens books complete with CDs for her to goof around with. I worked through the first couple of lessons with her and had to head back to India.

The books teach music notation- not tab, although from memory it explains them. It also teaches the basic chords where possible- eg only using the top 4 strings. Given the challenge of learning full chords for adults, I quite liked this aspect to get her interested and moving along. It focusses heavily on single not stuff also. On my last trip home, she played a few things for me and I was impressed. She was making good progress, even though I wasnt around to help her. I happened to suffer some Guitar Acuisition syndrome while back home and ended up picking up a second hand Godin and a GDEC. We then spent several hours working through some chords and lessons together.

I organised for lessons for her with a local teacher which she has been attending. (I start with him when I get back home on a more permanent basis). She is having a ball. She is already eyeing off a daisy rock.

Simple message- keep it simple- make it fun.

I cant remember the names of the books but there a 3 in the series- 1,2 and 3 - no less. The books are actually landscape not portait, and has drawings of kids on the front.

One thing with the teacher also is that he is teaching her some stuff that is interesting to her and the realisation will then follow that she needs to know some more theory. She had already been working out the fretboard at home and converting music notation to cheat notes.

Don't know if this helps at all, but I will try to find out the name of the books regardless. I am due back in Oz next saturday.

Cheers

Mick

ReplyQuote
 vink
(@vink)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Don't know if this helps at all, but I will try to find out the name of the books regardless.

It sure does, and it'll be good to know the names of the books. I am quite encouraged by your story.

--vink

ReplyQuote
(@mushin)
Eminent Member

Hi Vink,

ok I asked the missus to email me the name and author of the books.

They are from the Progressive Range

Progressive Guitar Method for Young Beginners By Gary Turner and And
Andrew Scott Illustrated by James Stewart

She has 3 books in the series.

My daughter also enjoys learning things she can relate to. Christmas carols and folk/ traditional songs. A few riffs here and there- just to get the interest level up.

Seems to have worked with her at least.

cheers

Mick

Link

http://www.learntoplaymusic.com/AU/product_info.php?cPath=1_2&products_id=1574&osCsid=1bb607152ce3983dff9f93c426725fe8

ReplyQuote
 vink
(@vink)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Mick, thanks very much, I will check them out.

--vink

ReplyQuote
 klim
(@klim)
Reputable Member

Hey Vink,

Try out your local library. Most libraries has tab books (and teaching videos) for borrowing.

My son went through a teacher as well. The course was great for him, but it was a very large class, so unfortunately he didn't stay focused (he's only eight).

After coming back from camp (for a week), he hasn't really picked up the guitar. Except to play Smoke on the Water.

As for teaching your child. Start with the first position chords, then strumming, then the basic 12 bar blues. Even though my son can't play an entire song, he is really happy to play the riffs of certain songs.

I've also got a Hal Leonard Book for him as well. Very good books (just like the Mel Bay's).

http://www.halleonard.com/guitarBass.jsp

ReplyQuote
 vink
(@vink)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Progressive Guitar Method for Young Beginners By Gary Turner

Looks like they don't sell that exact book here. Seems like they only have the regular "progressive method" book for the US.

mikespe and klim, thanks for your replies as well.

I think I am settling down to a Mel Bay book -- he has a method 1 book for children, seems to have lots of cartoon type illustrations and a DVD to go with it, for around $11 on Amazon.

I have started out with teaching here "twinkle" while I get the book. klim said:
so unfortunately he didn't stay focused
This is the main thing I don't know yet .. whether she will really stay on it or not. She really likes painting, but she hasn't really put much effort into practicing piano, but I am hoping that the interest she is showing in the guitar will last. We'll see how it goes ..

--vink

ReplyQuote
(@davem)
Estimable Member

This is very interesting because my son is really into music and I let him fiddle around with one of my old cheapo guitars. He's only 4 1/2 and likes to hold it like an upright bass and sing songs. This fall, we're going to sign him up at the local college that offers a program for kids his age. I'm not sure if I'd have the patience to teach my own child.

Dave

Sometimes in life you get shown the light,
In the strangest of places if you look at it right.

ReplyQuote