Notifications
Clear all

Technique at higher volumes

39 Posts
15 Users
0 Likes
(@mattypretends116)
Honorable Member

That is a great clip, I've heard that DVD is good overall. I've been meaning to pick up the Montreaux DVD for both SRV and the Dixie Dregs. Maybe I'll get that one instead, even though the production isn't as great.

Hate to say it, but SRV blows Hendrix out of the water on that one, IMHO

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=epFM8Fe_WDc&mode=related&search=

Point taken, but I do prefer the SRV version. That's not a knock at Jimi, for the record; his expression and creativity are through the roof. I just think Stevie played it better, that's all.

"Contrary to popular belief, Clapton is NOT God. The prospect that he is God probably had a large hand in driving him to drugs and booze. Thanks everyone."

-Guitar World :lol:

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Gnease,

You're talking about this:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Toneworks-Pandora-PX4D-Personal-MultiEffect-Processor?sku=152176
That's the one.
or these, correct? http://www.musiciansfriend.com/home/navigation?d=tp&q=headphone+amp&r=&src ="00630"

I have a relatively elaborate headphone setup due to my living situation. It goes Guitar - loop pedal - amp. Into the amp's aux in I have a metronome and the mix goes to wireless headphones with independant volume control. My question is, could I get the same effect by cranking the amp's volume up a little ways (it is a crappy 15 watt modeling amp, which may pose problems in and of itself, but let's assume it works out ok...:) ) and then lowering the headphone volume to a comfortable level on the headphones? The Toneworks pandora looks great, since it emulates feedback and whatnot, but if I can get a live playing feel with my current setup, then I 'll save the hundred+ dollars and buy a wah :D

It all depends on how much gain your amp can deliver. Does it have a high gain channel?

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@mattypretends116)
Honorable Member

It is the Roland Micro Cube:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Roland-Micro-Cube-Battery-Powered-Amp-with-COSM-and-Effects?sku=480196

It has a couple of different channels that sound decent at low volumes. I use if for quiet practice, and it does that job well. As soon as I crank it up past five, however, it buzzes and emits other extraneous noises, doesn't sound that good. It has a few clean variations, moderate brit distortion that reminds me of a marshall bluesbreaker, a more classic, smooth oberdrive a la aerosmith, steve morse, and a high gain, boogie/recitifier-type distortion. Single high end tone knob, aux in, a few fx. Not a bad practice amp, just don't turn it up :wink:

"Contrary to popular belief, Clapton is NOT God. The prospect that he is God probably had a large hand in driving him to drugs and booze. Thanks everyone."

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

It is the Roland Micro Cube:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Roland-Micro-Cube-Battery-Powered-Amp-with-COSM-and-Effects?sku=480196

It has a couple of different channels that sound decent at low volumes. I use if for quiet practice, and it does that job well. As soon as I crank it up past five, however, it buzzes and emits other extraneous noises, doesn't sound that good. It has a few clean variations, moderate brit distortion that reminds me of a marshall bluesbreaker, a more classic, smooth oberdrive a la aerosmith, steve morse, and a high gain, boogie/recitifier-type distortion. Single high end tone knob, aux in, a few fx. Not a bad practice amp, just don't turn it up :wink:

I have a Micro Cube. When I'm back home again, I'll check it out for this purpose. But I can already tell you it cannot provide as much gain as the PX4D. The Pandora also has compression and noise gating - both useful as well.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@mattypretends116)
Honorable Member

Great, let me know how it compares, if you can...even though it won't be quite as good as the Pandora

ReplyQuote
(@clazon)
Honorable Member

We played our third ever gig yesterday night (headlined :D ) and it was very interesting. The place had a decent enough PA system and techy, but my god, the glorious 300watt Marshall amp stacks were the most amazing things. The cabs were sort of 1m x 1m Marshall cabs.

Overall it came out with a great sound and definitely made my chords ring out alot more purely and with a really nice rocky warmth.

However, it was almost impossible to hear what I was playing when the other guys were and so I just noticed every now and again that I lost the rhythm.

So is it a flaw that some people develop the instinct to play by what they hear instead of what they're doing with their hands as it were? Cos this seemed like a problem for me last night.

"Today is what it means to be young..."

(Radiohead, RHCP, Jimi Hendrix - the big 3)

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

However, it was almost impossible to hear what I was playing when the other guys were and so I just noticed every now and again that I lost the rhythm.

So is it a flaw that some people develop the instinct to play by what they hear instead of what they're doing with their hands as it were? Cos this seemed like a problem for me last night.

It is pretty normal not to hear someone else well at a gig unless you mic all instruments and have them into the monitors.

Dom our bass player will often complain he cannot hear Lane (lead guitarist) because Lane sets up on the opposite side. My amp is right next to Dom and that's what he hears. So I will often mic Lane only and put him in the monitors. But I have told Dom that you just have to know the song and not depend on others. If you depend on the other players, when they make a mistake, you will too. So you have to play your part and be solid. If you play your part solid, then if someone else makes a mistake or gets lost, they can come back in by listening to you.

As for rhythm, I try to get in a good groove with the bass and drums. The lead guitarist might do anything, but if the rhythm section is tight the song will sound good.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Clazon: it depends on whar your role in the band is. When playing leads I rarely bother to worry about rhythm. I just drift around and make noise and if you get confused you can always float back to the rhythm. If you're part of the rhythm section you must keep it tight. It's your number one role as a rhythm guitarist. It's something I find very tough, you need to be much more focussed then with lead playing. In my experience at least.

ReplyQuote
(@clazon)
Honorable Member

I play both and sing. When I was doing some lead stuff, it was ok to an extent. I messed up a tiny bit, but "drifted about" quite well. When it came to the rhythm, usually I'm so tight there with timing and regularity, but I would realise that I'd gone out of sync a bit last night.

Maybe that'll come with being a little more relaxed and a little more practice though.

"Today is what it means to be young..."

(Radiohead, RHCP, Jimi Hendrix - the big 3)

ReplyQuote
Page 3 / 3