Clear all

Tele modifications

11 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@mattypretends116)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

My former guitar teacher has a tele that he modified the hell out of, and now wants to get rid of for a decent price. It has a humbucker in the bridge and a stacked knifeblade in the neck, new tone pot, custom paint, the works. Its a really good guitar, and I was wondering if it is possible to swap the bridge out and put a tremolo in? In addition, what sorts of trems tend stay in tune the best (it also has sperzel tuners, which will help keep it in tune)? I want to try to experiment more with that Hendrix sound i.e. abuse the hell out of the thing. :D In a good way of course...hey, they're made to be played right?

I thought about just getting a strat, but this is more cost effective and I like teles better anyway. I played a new american 5th aniv. strat and I didn't really like it that much. As an alternative, you can get a new tele with a bigsby:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=home/search/detail/base_pid/515123/

Has anyone played this axe? I've never even played a guitar fitted with a bigsby, what are they like? Any info you can offer is great, thanks.

Cheers, :)
Matt

"Contrary to popular belief, Clapton is NOT God. The prospect that he is God probably had a large hand in driving him to drugs and booze. Thanks everyone."

-Guitar World :lol:

(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Teles are usually outfitted with Bigsbys -- well matched to the construction and minimally invasive (no routing). Bigsbys are not divebombers, but provide more of a gentle vibrato. They also don't sap sustain nearly as much as the Strat-type trem.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Here are two Bigsby kits for a Tele. Around $170. I believe you can get these for less if you search around.

Bigsby kit for Tele

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@primeta)
Prominent Member

If the guitar you have in your hands is a good guitar, then stick with it. I played 1 50th aniv. strat that was nice and 1 that was bleh.
Think I was having fun playing that bigsby equiped tele through the Tubescreamer yesterday. But my concentration was on the TS9.

"Things may get a whole lot worse/ Before suddenly falling apart"
Steely Dan
"Look at me coyote, don't let a little road dust put you off" Knopfler

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Here's the best price I could find, $120 plus S&H.

Bigsby B5 Conversion Kit

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@slothrob)
Reputable Member

That last one looks like the Bigsby alone.

There are two ways to Bigsby a Tele:

One is to get the whole kit like the GuitarPartsResources kit in Wes's first link. This comes with what is essentialy a Jazzmaster/Jaguar bridge that comes equiped with all the quirks inherent in that design. Though the sharper break angle of the strings behind the bridge, due to the B5 Bigsby can make this work better.

The 2nd is to bolt a B5 behind a vintage Tele bridge (with the 3 T-shaped saddles) and file away much of the rear lip of the bridge assembly so that you can use the traditional Tele brass saddles.

My understanding is that the 2nd is the preferred method, perhaps to avoid the Jazzmaster bridge hassles. It also keeps more of a proper Tele look.

ReplyQuote
(@mattypretends116)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Cool, thanks for all the responses. So the bigsby is the only way to go huh? I'll have to try one out. I've heard from some sources that floyd rose trems always go out of tune, wherea other sources say they never do. How do they compare with, say, a wilkenson?

Thanks again,
Matt

"Contrary to popular belief, Clapton is NOT God. The prospect that he is God probably had a large hand in driving him to drugs and booze. Thanks everyone."

ReplyQuote
(@slothrob)
Reputable Member

I've seen 1 guitar with a Jazzmaster-style trem, but this requires routing while the Bigsby just goes on with a few screws (and a bridge modification in both cases). Also, there's not a lot of room behind a Tele bridge to fit a trem mechanism, so, if you want to try something different, make sure you get all the measurements.

ReplyQuote
(@tim_madsen)
Prominent Member

I know very little about electrics, but I just don't get it :? I do know what I like the sound of and I love the sound of the Telecaster. It seems to me what we're talking about is turning a perfectly good tele into a bad strat. Is there some gain to be had here, over a regular strat? I've read advise here before about replacing the bridge single coil with a humbuker on teles. Doesn't make sense to me. :? Opinions on this? What's to be gained by modifying the hell into a tele? Pun intended :)

Tim Madsen
Nobody cares how much you know,
until they know how much you care.

"What you keep to yourself you lose, what you give away you keep forever." -Axel Munthe

ReplyQuote
(@slothrob)
Reputable Member

I'm not a fan of humbuckers on Tele's because I love the sound of a good Tele pickup. A lot of people are, though, and there can be good reasons for that. Personally, I like Tele's with single coils that are reverse wound/reverse polarity, so they can be combined when you need them quiet but switched when you need those special Tele-only neck and bridge sounds. Like a Nocaster's pickups.
The Bigsby has a long history on Tele's and, thank Leo, is not going to make a Tele sound like a Strat. It will sound like a Tele that can be wammied. It will probably have more twang and sustain than most Strats. This combination is a great sound for country, rockabilly, and surf.
Oh, and Bruce Springsteen's Tele has a Bigsby and humbuckers.

ReplyQuote
(@mattypretends116)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

It will sound like a Tele that can be wammied. It will probably have more twang and sustain than most Strats. quote]

Thats just what I'm looking for :D

Guess I'll look into the Bigsby. Thanks everyone, Merry Christmas!

Matt

ReplyQuote