Tested out playing standing up..

17 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
(@mikehull)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

and failed miserably :(

When sat down, its much more comfortable and my ability to play is vastly improved, as i can position my hand and thumb better.

but stood up

its so awkward and i cant get my hand positioned right.

the guitar body is too low.

and as i dont want to play sat down for the rest of my guitar days, whats the point?

cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

You have to work at it. It'll take some geting used to and trial and error on your part adjusting the strap and position of the headstock to find what's comfortable for you.

Once you find the comfortable spot then you can start practicing more standing up.

It's something most people go through when starting out at least I did. I played for a year or so sitting only and when I first tried playing standing up I couldn't even play the simplest of things, so it flet liek starting all over again.

But don't worry it's not, just do it everyday even if only for short periods of time and soon it'll become second nature.

Start with just easy chord chnages and simple strummimg.

Hang in there.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@mikehull)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

You have to work at it. It'll take some geting used to and trial and error on your part adjusting the strap and position of the headstock to find what's comfortable for you.

Once you find the comfortable spot then you can start practicing more standing up.

It's something most people go through when starting out at least I did. I played for a year or so sitting only and when I first tried playing standing up I couldn't even play the simplest of things, so it flet liek starting all over again.

But don't worry it's not, just do it everyday even if only for short periods of time and soon it'll become second nature.

Start with just easy chord chnages and simple strummimg.

Hang in there.

I cant strum - i mute strings and cant get my hand into position.

perhaps this is natures cruel way of telling me to lose weight...

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Then make it even simpler and pick single notes. My point is you definitely CAN do it, but it may not just happen, you have to work at it.

You say you can't strum so just hit an E chord once then an A chord then maybe a D chord and repeat. If you can do a downstrum on each chord, the next time add the upstroke etc.

Trust me Mike keep working at it and don't get to frustrated, if you do go back to sitting down for a spell and try later.

I remember dropping my pick alot when I started. After I while I got so I didn't drop it much. When I started playing standing up I started dropping the pick again...and it took alittle while to get cmfortable again.

ReplyQuote
(@mikehull)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Then make it even simpler and pick single notes. My point is you definitely CAN do it, but it may not just happen, you have to work at it.

You say you can't strum so just hit an E chord once then an A chord then maybe a D chord and repeat. If you can do a downstrum on each chord, the next time add the upstroke etc.

Trust me Mike keep working at it and don't get to frustrated, if you do go back to sitting down for a spell and try later.

I remember dropping my pick alot when I started. After I while I got so I didn't drop it much. When I started playing standing up I started dropping the pick again...and it took alittle while to get cmfortable again.

luckily dropping the pick hasnt been a problem for me, but good that you sorted that.

the stretches are a huge struggle - where i could do 2-5 i can maybe do 2-4 and 5-7 is hampered too.

im not even sure ive got the guitar in a right position...

ReplyQuote
(@voidious)
Estimable Member

It's hard to tell for sure form those pics, but it looks like you have the guitar much lower than I do. Have you tried adjusting the strap to put the guitar a lot higher?

Re: weight - I find that my "larger than average" belly gets more in the way when sitting down, actually ;) Once I get up to fret 14 or 15 while sitting, my arm and wrist are at a very uncomfortable angle! Fretting high up the neck is much easier for me while standing.

-- Voidious

ReplyQuote
(@voidious)
Estimable Member

Upon taking another look, I think maybe your sitting posture could use some work, too ;) Looks like you are a little slouched and your knees are kind of angled up from your body? Unless that's not where you normally sit... But anyway, GN has an article all about posture which may help:

https://www.guitarnoise.com/article.php?id=217

-- Voidious

ReplyQuote
(@mikehull)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Upon taking another look, I think maybe your sitting posture could use some work, too ;) Looks like you are a little slouched and your knees are kind of angled up from your body? Unless that's not where you normally sit... But anyway, GN has an article all about posture which may help:

https://www.guitarnoise.com/article.php?id=217

i dont normally sit that low tbh, just that it was the only place i could sit quickly lol.

ReplyQuote
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

perhaps this is natures cruel way of telling me to lose weight...

This band is called the Poverty Plainsmen.
The singer/guitar player at center stage is Mark Smith.
I've known these guys for about 15 years, and can attest that Mark has no problem making good music come out of his guitar.

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote
(@mikehull)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

just looks a bit high to me kent, and you know how it is, people dont perceive that as cool lol.

i am after function over cool, but dont want to look out of place as my eventual goal is a band of some sort..

ive adjusted the strap a little, and its a little easier to play, even if i look a bit pony lol

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Mike,

I definitely understand wanting to look cool..Ha..and I agree having your guitar jacked up to your chin does not scream rock guitar, but you can start out with the guitar adjusted high and then as you get more comfortable start loosening up on the strap and slowly lowering the height of the guitar.

ReplyQuote
(@mikehull)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

yea, i see your points mate :)

im gonna just get used to it.

I played in public for the first time tonight, but sat down hehe

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Yep, a big tummy can get in the way, I know from experience. :D

One trick is to put the guitar on your hip, not directly in front of you. If you rest the guitar on your tummy, it's gonna tilt up which will cause your wrist to bend. This is why you are losing reach. Try to keep the wrist as straight as possible. The wrist must bend at times, but it should not be excessive.

And speaking of big guitar players, it would be difficult to beat Leslie West of Mountain in their early days. He was huge, but man could he play guitar. Check out this video from '71.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KszD_MfB798

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
 Oric
(@oric)
Estimable Member

I can hardly stand sitting down with the bass now. I always practice standing or at least sitting on a stool. I like to position my strap high, it may look dorky, but it allows for much better control. Sitting down on the edge of a bed or on a couch or big soft chair is the worst way to practice, it makes my playing worse. So just stand up from now on. And try to look down at your fingers as little as possible, it's good for you.

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Looking cool is a nice bonus if your playing rocks. If you can't play that way properly you won't look cool but like a wannabe-guitarist. Sit down if you must, just make sure the sound is priority number one.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2