Notifications
Clear all

Thanks

10 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
(@cappy)
Topic starter  

I just want to say that I've learned more about playing guitar from this site since in the last week than I have in a years worth of lesons. After a year I could play all kinds of scales and chords and play rthythm for my teacher to jam over, but I struggled to play songs on my own.

I gave up guitar not long after that for about six years. About three years ago, I stabed my self in the left arm opening a box and developed compartment syndrom. I needed emergency surgery to to keep my arm. I rehabbed it for a while and everythign was fine until a few months ago, when I started to loose feeling again and drop things quite often. I figured I needed to fine tune my motor skills on it again. So my wife bought me a guitar for Christmas.

After just a few days of looking over this site. I found Dylans "Tangled Up In Blues" and was able to actually peg the rhythm in about an hour and now I'm strumming along well enough for my wife to know what the song was and sing along. I'm no pro, and never intend to be, but I love music and what I've accomplished in the last week has made me dance for joy! And I can already tell the difference in my arm strength and dexterity. Although my finger tips hurt like the dickens lol!

Thanks for a great site.

(@ginger)
Reputable Member

congrats, You played guitar before so you know that the sore finger tips is just until you build them back up. I've been playing for three years and i still manage to get sore fingers from time to time. Usually i play everyday but if i go three or four days without playing cause I'm out of town or something, then they will be sore for a couple days when i pick the guitar back up but probably wouldn't be if i eased into to it more gradual, but that's really hard to do.

Just keep at it. Guitar well music, is really a release. It sounds like you have had some trama in your past life so use your music to relax yourself and to ease those tensions. Since I started doing that, life has been so much better for me. I find when i'm lonely or depressed or sad or angry or whatever, i can usually find something to play that helps relieve all that stress. And it works, that's why i play. You can do the same.

Good luck on your guitar playing and learning.

God Bless

ReplyQuote
(@demoetc)
Noble Member

Cool man - and welcome to the board!

There's just tons of stuff here as far as lessons and songs and stuff you can work on, but there's also a ton of nice, helpful people here too; pros, post-pros, pre-pros, people who just like playing for no particular reason - you name it, they're here!

The whole idea isn't to be great at the instrument but just to enjoy it to its fullest. The instrument AND the music, whatever genre or style. Music (and the playing of it) is theraputic both mentally and physically (as you've found), so just have a blast with it.

Again, welcome!

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

Welcome to GN Cappy.

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@ghost-rider)
Reputable Member

GuitarNoise is stronger and better now that you are here. Welcome Cappy!

Ghost 8)

"Colour made the grass less green..." 3000 miles, Tracy Chapman

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

Welcome aboard cappy :!:

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@terminator)
Reputable Member

Yup, like everyone said, enjoy the Crazy World Of Guitarnoise. Welcome, in other words :D .

"No pain No gain!"- The Scorpions

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

Welcome to the asylum for the musically insane!

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

ok here you go -

Willkommen zum Asylum für das musikalisch geisteskranke !!!

OR

Willkommen zum musikalischen madhouse !!!

(German and google translator are really fun :D )

Rahul

ReplyQuote
(@terminator)
Reputable Member

Musenfreund said:
Welcome to the asylum for the musically insane!
Nicely said, dude!

"No pain No gain!"- The Scorpions

ReplyQuote