Thanks to GN and a musical journey update

9 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
(@banre)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Hello everyone,

I don't post much at all anymore, and even have stopped lurking as much as I used to as well, but I still consider GN very formative to me from my first foray's into guitar around five years ago. In that time, I've messed around, laid the guitars down, picked them up months later. I was very wishy-washy. I had a musical background. I played tuba from Jr High all that way into college. But for some reason guitar just wasn't engaging me.

Then, last December it happened. I was helping out running the sound at church and our worship leader asked if I played any instruments. Well, I told him I could strum some chords on acoustic but that was about it. "Want to try bass next Sunday?" he says to me. I said sure, get me one to borrow. I got a borrowed six string Ibanez bass on Thursday of that week! Three days to learn four songs on an instrument I've never played before!

It was like butter. Moth to flame. Stink to p...you get the idea. It was like I was meant to play the bass guitar. I think all those years on tuba, hearing and playing bass lines constantly, tied in with the past four years of learning my way around a guitar fretboard a little came together perfectly. I played that Sunday and did pretty darn good! There were some mistakes, but the majority of people had no idea. Plus, it's the kinda crowd that's very forgiving! That's kinda built in playing in front of a church congregation. Since then, I've played just about every Sunday church.

This spring, I really got the itch to join a band so I hit up craigslist. After several false starts, I found a band with good people not looking to "make it". Just play some classic rock for fun, gig a couple times a month and make some pocket money.

Finally, to the origin of coming and writing this post. My first paying gig has been scheduled! October 16th we will be taking the stage a little bar in Bay Minette, AL. I want to thank GN for all I've learned and all the encouragement I've received while being here. And if anyone is in southern Alabama on the 16th, I hope to see ya there!

Thanks again,

Louis

Unseen Evidence
UE Reverb Nation Page

(@joehempel)
Famed Member

That so cool! Congrats!! Knock it out of the park1

In Space, no one can hear me sing!

ReplyQuote
(@danlasley)
Noble Member

Congrats! That's the way it's supposed to work.

And of course we'll expect a full gig report afterward.

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

"it's the kinda crowd that's very forgiving!"
LMAO Classic
Congrats!

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@jwmartin)
Noble Member

If it was northern AL, I might be able to make it. I've made the switch almost exclusively to the low end myself and that idea of "oh, you can play guitar a little? Here's a bass" bugs the crap out of me! Sure, knowing guitar helped me when I moved to bass, but I've learned that playing bass is a whole other animal.

Good luck w/ your gig!

Bass player for Undercover

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Good luck with your gig!

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Cool! Knock em dead.

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

wow. i don't think i've ever felt that way about a musical instrument. i've always just worked my tukus off.

ReplyQuote
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

That's a fascinating and cool story!

I hope it continues to be your forte!

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

ReplyQuote