That...one...guitar. I am crazy.

15 Posts
11 Users
0 Likes
(@mikecullen)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Hi everyone! Im back from the dead.

I own an ibanez s540 (or 540s whichever you prefer). The neck is super fast, the tone is pretty decent, it plays great.
Yet For some strange reason, i'm constantly drawn back to my home built P.O.S frankenstien strat made of my first squier, another squier strat that was given to me by a friend, and various nuts and bolts that dont even belong on a guitar. Part of the pick guard is held down by a drywall screw.... This thing feels great, but its got a thick neck, grounding problems, and doesnt even stay in tune over night.

Any explanation as to why my deranged mind is so set on playing this old thing? I might need a shrink. a good one

Also, to make this thread not useless, everyone post up your crappy old guitars that you just cant bear to put down! :lol:

"This is a public service announcement....with guitars!"

(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

This is my Beatercaster -- I built it from a Saga kit, making lots of changes along the way. I play it a lot more than my Taylor T5 Custom:

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Aren't you out play what's most fun and best? You're not posing for an Ibanez brochure are you? Have a blast and never apoligize. :wink:

ReplyQuote
(@mikecullen)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I guess i just feel like kind of an arse for having a 600$ guitar in my possesion, and playing a cheapie when theres tons of kids more talented than I am who would die to have a guitar like mine and are stuck with the crap.

"This is a public service announcement....with guitars!"

ReplyQuote
(@eirraca)
Estimable Member

You'll get around to it eventually. Don't beat yourself up over it. :D

ReplyQuote
(@kaizer-szoza)
Estimable Member

Hello all,

I have a theory here, especially pertaining to gnease.

I think when we/ourselves put hard work and effort into making something, that something becomes precious(not Lord of the Rings precious)
It takes on a different level of importance and familiarity. I feel this is true in making a sculpture, designing your garden, building or fixing you own house/ car, ect... Anything!

I remember my first guitar. It was a loaner from a friend. The guitar was a real piece, but I still pick her up every time I walk into his house. I even considered asking him to sell it to me. Attachments. The fact is, I have several good guitars and don't really need it, but she was my first mistress.

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

I somehow manage to play them all over the course of the year.

My theory is, the expensive ones and the bargain ones you keep because they were expensive or bargains. If you keep a beater guitar while you own an expensive one, it must be because you love to play it.

Granted my Taylor 712ce isn't a cheap guitar, but it gets probably 75% of the play time in my house. I have a lot of great guitars to chose from so there must be something about that one.

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

I somehow manage to play them all over the course of the year.

My theory is, the expensive ones and the bargain ones you keep because they were expensive or bargains. If you keep a beater guitar while you own an expensive one, it must be because you love to play it.

Granted my Taylor 712ce isn't a cheap guitar, but it gets probably 75% of the play time in my house. I have a lot of great guitars to chose from so there must be something about that one.

I have many good electrics, and if I didn't enjoy playing the beater, I wouldn't. But it turned out to be a good guitar, and my only Tele-type. After years of Strat, I've taken to Tele.

Plus I never worry about it getting a ding or scratch -- it's all about ding'n'scratch.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
 jimh
(@jimh)
Estimable Member

This is my Beatercaster -- I built it from a Saga kit, making lots of changes along the way. I play it a lot more than my Taylor T5 Custom:

I like the HD emblem and this is the second HD reference I've seen from you, what do you ride?

Music is the universal language.

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Nope -- more of a car guy. But bikes more than cars seem to have links to guitars in spirit and industrial design.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

gnease,

I like the beater, it's got character..and to it's got rock n roll written all over it.

I actually like the look of a beat up guitar...never did like the pristine shiny look like they've never been played guitars

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

All of my guitars become beater guitars in short time. :D

I don't like shiny guitars either. And I would hate to worry that I'm gonna scratch the finish on an expensive guitar. I take reasonable care of all my guitars, but they get nicks and scratches all over them in time. I don't worry about it.

At present I have 7 electrics and I probably play every one of them a little each week. Lately, I have mostly been playing my new SG, but I was playing my Squier 51, and Fender Tele last night. Each guitar has it's own sound and is fun in it's own way. If a guitar sounds good I will play it, that's all that matters to me.

If you love that beater guitar, play it. :D

Great looking guitar Greg, I love when the finish wears off.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@eirraca)
Estimable Member

I think when we/ourselves put hard work and effort into making something, that something becomes precious(not Lord of the Rings precious)

I laughed out loud for real... :lol:

ReplyQuote
(@smokindog)
Illustrious Member

I have about 10 axes all told, like Wes I visit them all each week :lol: Butt one of my favorite guitars is my $99 acoustic Johnson. It makes a great slide guitar and with a pick-up I can even get that Elmore James sound :twisted: Its kinda like a Strat, you have to work at getting a good tone out of it, but it can be very rewarding :D

My Youtube Page
http://www.youtube.com/user/smokindog
http://www.soundclick.com/smokindogandthebluezers

http://www.soundclick.com/guitarforumjams

ReplyQuote
(@the-dali)
Noble Member

The beater guitars tend to look like beater guitars because they get played. I have a buddy who is such a guitar snob it makes me crazy (plus, he's a great player, which also makes me crazy). Man, if it ain't a USA Strat or Tele he just plainly calls is J U N K. He hates the relic look.

I just re-built a relic strat from a beat-up StewMac body, GFS guard and pups, Allparts neck and Sperzel tuners (I'll post a pick shortly) and it just FEELS like rock-n-roll... he thinks its junk. What can you do? It is all personal preference.

-=- Steve

"If the moon were made of ribs, would you eat it?"

ReplyQuote